Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Just a newbie saying Hi !

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 19:21
As the title suggests, I have just purchased AGK2 with all the DLC and I must say I haven't used it yet, but it looks very promising, after downloading I have spent most of the day reading the 'Guides', watching the 'YouTube Videos' and have now just started on one of the 'PDF's'. I am already a full time student as well as full time father. I am studying a course that should get me the equivalent to a level 7 masters degree in game development. The subjects being taught are C++, the Direct X 11 Graphics API, a little Unity3D with C#, and a very small touch on OpenGL. You can view more about me and my course by visiting my website HERE! Anyway I look forward to hopefully networking with some of you and working together as a community.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread, feel free to reply or contact me if you wish.

Kind regards

GunnerJnr - ( My name is actually David Gunner (Jnr), due to being named after my dad hence the nickname GunnerJnr, most people call me Gunner though! So take your pick )

P.S - Also for anybody who might be interested, it isn't much, but I was just browsing the folders and came across the text file stating how to change the themes for the AGK2.exe, it can be found navigating to your [AGK2 installation Directory]/Tier1/Editor/Changing IDE Theme.txt
As it states in the text file :

Quote: "
The IDE comes with some additional themes that change the way everything in the IDE looks, these themes are located in the folder share/themes, make a note of the folder names. The currently active theme is controlled by the file data/geany.gtkrc open it and look at the last line, by default this should read

include "../share/themes/MS-Windows/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

You can change it to another theme by using a different folder mentioned earlier, such as

include "../share/themes/ClearlooksDark/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
"

So, anyway if you decide to navigate to your "data/geany.gtkrc" file, I have taken the liberty of adding all the current themes to my file, so if you wish to do the same, just copy and paste the below text and be sure to remove the '#' of the theme you want, but more importantly be sure to re-add a '#' to the theme you don't want. As you can see mine is currently set to the ClearlooksDarkOrange theme.

Code to paste into data/geany.gtkrc - (just edit the file with notepad++ or something)

#include "../share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/ClearlooksDark/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
include "../share/themes/ClearlooksDarkOrange/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MS-Windows/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MurrinaAqualsh/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MurrinaCandy/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MurrinaEalm/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MurrinaNeoGraphite/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MurrinaVerdeOlivo/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Nodoko-Aqua/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Nodoko-Gilouche/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Nodoko-Midnight/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Nodoko-Silver/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Rezlooks-candy/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Rezlooks-graphite/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Rezlooks-Snow/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

Enjoy!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 23:25
Hey there Gunner, welcome to the AppGameKit forums you will find this is a great place for help and also for chatting about your projects. You will find the community to be a friendly bunch of people!

Good luck with your first efforts in AppGameKit and by the way I had a look at your website and it is really quite good, not overly fussy and nice and clear.

Just added your to the twitter
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 23:37
Thank you very much for the feedback of my site, the HTML underneath could probably use a tidy up but I was hoping for it to be pretty much as you described so that is good to hear. Also I look forwards to using the forums and seeing what everyone else is up to as well as hopefully giving input on trying to help, although it will probably be everyone helping me more! hehe.

I shall check my twitter very soon, probably tomorrow and return the follow, I must admit that I am pretty bad with twitter, I tend to go through a phase of using it, then forgetting its existence for a time, then rinse and repeat lol.

Cheers
GunnerJnr
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 12:31
Welcome to the forums gunner, hope you have fun using AGK.
Loads of friendly people on here to guide you if you need help.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 14:31
Quote: "Also I look forwards to using the forums and seeing what everyone else is up to"

Yes, my favourite part of the forums is the showcase section as I love seeing what everyone is creating and you get some really interesting projects in there.

Quote: "I must admit that I am pretty bad with twitter, I tend to go through a phase of using it, then forgetting its existence for a time, then rinse and repeat lol."

Well now I know it's not just me that does this haha
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 15:20 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 16:25
I forgot to mention that I also had a look at your site, it is a very good design and definitely caches the eye. Very professional looking and of a very interesting nature, My little girl, Celia-Rose, has just turned 3, on Halloween. I think she will love your app/s, hopefully I should be able to buy it sometime in the next week and download it for her, she is a big fan of painting apps, and is just starting to get very curious, it is funny watching her on my PC try to fathom the mouse out when she moves it. She is one smart kid though she can already sing the entire alphabet and also sits do 6 x 24 piece puzzles and 2 x 50 piece! I am one proud daddy, might have to get her programming soon then she can teach me

Kids learning apps were actually one of the main reasons I decided to invest in AGK2, I thought it might be a better way to knock up some prototypes rapidly, (not really for release but more just for her to use, and if they go well maybe chuck them in one or some of the app stores fro free or commercial). So its definitely a subject I am also interested in. I hope to soon learn a bit more about designing and making apps for kids to learn from. As well as hopefully banging a few games out in the process. My long term goal, which probably wont become a reality for about 20 years is to design and create my own game engine.

I have been watching the Youtube videos on The Game Creators Channel today, I have watched the first three so far, the one where he shows you how to get the hot air balloon sprite loaded and moving across the screen.

BASIC seems like a pretty decent language to grasp, shame there are no solid examples for the Tier 2 stuff, I had a look in the samples folder and all it had was one game called Echoes+, a great game, unfortunately though it was only the binary release (exe file), so didn't have any source code included. However I have been playing all day and its actually not that different from basic so far, I have managed to re-create the same example in a C++ project and had the 2 running identically side by side! So not bad for a few hours work. Hopefully now I can focus on playing around some more to get a feel for the AGK2 Engine, hopefully there will be some API Documentation in the future, (it might exist already, so forgive me if it does, I had a look around and couldn't find it so if anybody can point me to this, I'd be extremely grateful!!!). Anyway here is a screen shot of the balloon example from the above video running in both BASIC and C++ (VS 2015).

Cheers
GunnerJnr

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 15:22
Quote: "Welcome to the forums gunner, hope you have fun using AGK.
Loads of friendly people on here to guide you if you need help."

Thanks Rickynzx, I totally overlooked your response so I do apologise! It was an honest mistake
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 16:09
Looks like you have a good kids software tester there. The kids always pick stuff up really good! Amazing sometimes.
My kids aren't kids anymore as they are 16 and 18 now and that is why I started but that is going back to the Amiga days haha

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/213305

This is the link for Paint Pot forum thread if you want to have a read, it is really quite a simple app but the young kids seem to like it. There is a bit of code on there when I started to have a mess converting some of the program to C++.
It was quite easy because all I did was cut and paste the tier 1 code to Visual and then convert it line by line to C++ but it looks like you have got it covered and are doing quite well with your code
There might even be a free working download code for the Apple store for Paint Pot if you have an iOS device.

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing some of your projects
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 16:24
Thanks spectrepaul I shall take a read of your thread now. Keep up the good work also!

Ahh yes the amiga, takes me back to the days of dizzy the egg! COOL GAME BTW
Mike Archer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 00:37
Slightly off topic, but at the mention of Dizzy games, are you aware that the Oliver Brothers found the source code to an unreleased NES game, Wonderland Dizzy, and released it to play on NES emulators?

http://www.wonderlanddizzy.com/
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 09:51 Edited at: 7th Dec 2015 16:10
AWESOME! Cheers Mike
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2015 15:54 Edited at: 7th Dec 2015 21:55
First of all I would like to thank Daniel Foreman for his great Smack It Lite series on Youtube, it is very informative and helpful for anybody starting out in AGK2. So for any newcomers like myself, CLICK HERE for the full playlist!

Secondly, I would like to say after finishing the smack it lite series, I decided to go on and try to make my own version, its still very similar I just added a few extra features, some of which were found while exploring all of the example projects they are just great. Its called Bop a Bad Elf, and hopefully I will have it up in the Google Play store before christmas, just as a test project and bit of fun really. Anyway here are some screenshots for that! So far I added an extra system which awards an extra life when the player reaches a score of a thousand, then it takes that score and multiplies it by the extra lives given, and when that condition is met awaards another, this basically awards a new life every 1000 points, I added some snow effect, modified a bit from the bad elf example, I am just awaiting response from inneractive about ads, and I am currently still working on a pause/play system , all the art was produced by a friend, unfortunately my artistic skills are a little lapse.

A couple more recent screenshots of progression today: (excuse the prototype santa hut, thats just a place holder I made to give my artist friend an idea of what I want to go in that placement!

Lastly, my new book has just been delivered from Amazon so I am super excited to get started on it. Thank you Tony Gaddis! Starting Out With Games & Graphics in C++ 2nd Edition (Hard Back), it's a bit pricey so I hope it is worth it, at a quick glance it looks very good! I will post more of my thoughts on it after I have finished reading it.

Thanks
GunnerJnr

Attachments

GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 09:17 Edited at: 21st Dec 2015 09:35
Just a little update to say this game has been released on the Google Play Developer store Feel free to download and give it a whirl.

Google Play Store Page for Bop The Bad Elf. (Screenshots above)

I hope to work on a few upgrades for it in the near future, swap out some sprites so it has a few random sprites pop up instead of just the one elf, and perhaps the snowman at the top could drop a few presents every now and then which contain different pickups, (think brick breaker style), e.g some could award extra lives, extra points, others may be bad and deduct lives or points, perhaps one could slow the sprites down, whilst another could speed them up. Still mostly ideas ticking over in my head at the moment. As they say don't try to run before you can walk, I am also focusing a lot on recreating all the Tier 1 stuff in Tier 2 as well, which isn't proving to difficult as they are very similar and with a basic knowledge of C++ anybody can do it.

I have also started a new prototype project to try and put a few ideas into practice for a kids learning app, the general concept is pretty simple. Here is a taster screenshot of some concept art to give a better idea. (Some images were sourced from Google, they will not be used in app/game, they are purely there for conceptual reasons until I swap out the art). The basic idea of the game will be to have an infinite animated road, and down that road objects will keep moving towards the player, the player will have the ability to move left and right only, this is so they can change lanes and dodge objects. The reason they need to dodge certain objects is because the player will be set objectives, each objective will advance in difficulty as they progress through the game, so to start the objective might be - e.g "Collect the letter 'A'.. ", then later on perhaps after they have advanced X number of levels and entered a more advanced stage it could be - e.g "Collect all the letters for the word 'CAT', its still very much in the idea stage and being planned on pen and paper, then trying stuff out in the prototype build. But I think it has the potential to become a great type of game. Obviously there could be all types of different game play elements opposed to just the one road with moving objects, however as stated above, learn to walk before you can run. So my main aim is to get one working level really and go from there.

NOTE!!! - Yes, I understand the writing in the HUD may seem a bit small and prove difficult to read, however my thinking there is that when the user selects the level they are greeted with a scaled up version that pops up on the screen with the little kid explaining the objectives, etc.. then when the user is ready to start it will minimize back down to the hud, and can be maximized at any point for rewatching/recapping. (Again idea phase)

Concept Art:

Also here is a video playlist of progress so far, it isn't much but I am loving AppGameKit so far. Best purchase I ever made. I am also pushing myself with this one and have split up all the Tier 1 code into seperate files (as I am used to this in C++) so in the long run it should make porting it over to Tier 2 a synch). I hope to from after Christmas move on to Tier 2 full time and do away with Tier 1. However I am waiting on the new guide for setting up AppGameKit with Android Studio as I see that Eclipse with ADT has been deprecated ?

Video Progression Playlist [Newest Progress comes first in the playlist, so it works in a back to front order]

Current progress a level selection button screen

Full Playlist

Anyway Thanks and enjoy.

Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays to you all.

Attachments

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 13:30
Congrats man! Good luck on future projects
Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2015 13:39
Quote: "Congrats man! Good luck on future projects"

Cheers Crazy Programmer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:51:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:51:45