Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Timings in a game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 00:57
I may be missing something, but is there any way to create a reliable way to make a game run at a set speed for a prolonged period of time? Basing it on FPS means it will run slower on some machines, but using the timer means it will become inaccurate after a couple of hours due to the timer being floating point. Is there any way to reset the timer back to zero to keep accuracy, or should I rely on FPS?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 09:09
You may kick yourself...

ResetTimer()
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
You can do something like this:

the first lines in your sync loop:
fps#=1/GetFrameTime()
tween#=60/fps#

Then anytime you like to move something you just do like this:

cammove#=-GetVirtualJoystickY( 1 ) * tween#

or moving a object:

SetObjectPosition(door1[a],GetObjectX(door[a]),GetObjectY(door[a])-(1.0*tween#),GetObjectZ(door1[a]))

here 1.0 is the speed you like it to move at ( when you make the * tween# it will add to this is the fps is low , so you move at the same speed no matter the FPS ).

SetObjectRotation(gunobj, GetObjectAngleX(gunobj), GetObjectAngleY(gunobj)+(0.1*tween#), GetObjectAngleZ(gunobj) )

Here i like to move 0.1 each cycle so use 0.1*tween#

best regards Preben Eriksen,
Mike Archer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 14:36
Thank you, I couldn't understand why there was no option to reset the timer, and now I can't understand how I didn't see it... lol
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
GetFrameTime() is useful... allows you to end up dealing in "pixels per second" type movement which is ultimately what you need.
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:35:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:35:32