Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [AGKII][wip] Santa Chimney Drop II

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 20:19 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2015 23:36
It's been a year since the release of Santa Chimney Drop (I) and I've decided to work on a sequel. This time I'll be implementing game mechanics that I originally designed for the first game but wasn't skilled enough as a programmer to actually build these systems. This past year has been less about getting as many stupid "runner" games out to the store and more about improving my skills as a programmer. I think I've come a long way and I'm using this game as a jump start to my first major project, Starvenger ( which also took a backseat because of my lack of skill )

So now I present Santa Chimney Drop II! This game will feature actual pre-made levels along with bonus levels that have that "runner" feel, to give it more replay ability. By having pre-made levels, I'll be able to develop a three star system and a better scoring system, which should also get more people to play it more than once.

Here's a look at version 0.1a ( woot versions! ). I've developed an easy to build level creation system and dynamic loading system. Basically I'm able to build levels using notepad by simply typing out characters in a sequence, than my app loads the level and I use a special function that will only load blocks within range of the character. With this dynamic level loading system, I'm able to have levels that are thousands of blocks long and have absolutely no slow down! I'm very proud of this system and I plan on modifying it and using it for Starvenger.

Video I: Short video of the dynamic level loading in action:

Video II: A Look at some animated collectibles and some graphics tweaks:

Concept Art:

Screenshots:

Next I'll upload some concept art, show you what direction I'm going and with a few more details on story and how large the game is going to be.

Cheers forumknights! Keep on coding!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 23:42
JLMoondog very nice and great retro style feel, love it
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 01:27
Thanks!

If you haven't played the first Santa Chimney Drop, try it out here on Google Play.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 23:54 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2015 23:55
Finally finished up the final platform objects and collectibles!

Video III: Showcasing finished platform objects:

The game has morphed from a "flappy bird clone" to a puzzle platformer-falling("runner") game. There will be roughly 55 levels and 6 bonus levels. Levels will be pre-made and will build up in difficulty and puzzles, while the bonus levels will be that "runner" type of game, but with some physics and random level generation. Your character will have hearts, lives, similar to Zelda instead of the first games 1 life mechanic.

Each platform piece has a different effect on your character as you're falling. Here's a list of effects:

Wall Block: -1 heart - 1sec invincibility similar to classic Megaman.
Cookie: + 1/2 heart, +10 points
Milk: + 1/2 heart, +10 points
Spinning Pole: knocks you in the opposite direction 2 blocks
Ice Block: x2 speed for 1sec
Fireball: -1 heart , melts Ice Block, Bats fly away
Bat: -1/2 heart/ sec for 4 sec
Soot: blind for 1sec
Magic Elf Rope: shows your path through the level, replay: shows a ghost rope of your highest scoring path

That's it for this update! Cheers and keep on coding!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:38:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:38:14