Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / dead pixel warranties

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2015 07:44
Is there any companies out there that offer a true zero dead pixel warranty? And I'm not talking about only for the first 7 days either like my stupid Asus which requires there be at least 5 dead pixels because they think 2 is acceptable. I refuse to accept this apparent standard view among the industry that 1-2 dead pixels is ok. It's not! Especially in the middle of my screen! Less than a year old on a $300+ monitor and now it looks like I have a piece of dirt I can't clean off. It'll be awhile before I can afford to upgrade to another new monitor, but for now I have to deal with this extreme annoyance. To me it's like buying a new car with "acceptable" scratches.

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2015 08:22 Edited at: 18th Dec 2015 08:23
Egh. As a person with OCD, that would drive me to the point of insanity. Their 5 dead pixel policy seems a little over generalized. For more expensive monitors, or for more important areas (like the freakin' middle of the screen), they should be a little more generous!

My Galaxy S6, with its 570 something PPI screen, I wonder if I would even be able to see a dead pixel... I did an experiment once where I created a 2560x1440 (resolution of the phone) image with a single white pixel, and it was nearly invisible on the phone with the naked eye. Viewing under a magnifying glass confirmed that indeed exactly one pixel was lit. Ah, to my point, replace your monitor entirely with a Galaxy S6 screen.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2015 09:29 Edited at: 18th Dec 2015 09:32
Yea this was their ProArt model (PA248Q), listed on their site as a professional model. 100% sRGB. Ya know, what anal-retentive folks who care about accurate colors might like. Right next to it I have a cheap $100 gateway and it has no dead pixels.....

S6 is big.... for a phone. But I think for a monitor it's a bit shy of my target What I need to do is hook it up to my 40" 4k tv and see how it looks.

\"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended.\" - Linus Torvalds
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2015 10:36
I couldn't accept it either - I've been lucky with my last few monitors - none have died, none have dead pixels. My current monitor is a 144hz beast from BENQ, if that got a dead pixel, even just 1 then I'd go ballistic!

A dead pixel is a hardware failure, even though it's 1 thing in 4 million, it's one thing that can never be fixed and will annoy you constantly. Sucks, but at least we know not to buy ASUS monitors!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2015 18:28
I miss using my westinghouse, but it started getting the vertical rainbow lines on one side, but it's 8 years old now.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 19th Dec 2015 00:33
Pretty sure you could go to a trade watchdog?

In the UK we have the Ombudsman... for various trades and stuff... look it up and see if you have something similar...

Having a policy like that to me sounds like BS.. and highly illegal in trading standards.. but then again, it may fall under your local laws... never accept nonsense from a company.. to me that sounds like a manufacturing defect, and should be covered by the standard typical [though not always mandatory] manufacturers guarantee or warranty...

Good luck!

Oh and consult Seppuku, he may have suggestions...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2015 00:52 Edited at: 19th Dec 2015 00:52
Quote: "Right next to it I have a cheap $100 gateway and it has no dead pixels....."
Similar here; my primary monitor is a $100 dollar Acer, and it's worked flawlessly for almost 4 years now!

Quote: "S6 is big.... for a phone. But I think for a monitor it's a bit shy of my target What I need to do is hook it up to my 40" 4k tv and see how it looks."
Haha yes, of course. 40" 4k monitor is good idea!

A few years back, a laptop of mine developed a few dead pixels in the middle of the screen, but I found that by tapping on/thumping that area of the screen, I could occasionally get them to go away for a few weeks to several months. I hear that occasionally the little transistors can lose their physical connection with their corresponding pixel, resulting in a dead or stuck pixel. By mechanically manipulating the screen, one may be able to restore functionality... Not sure if you want to do that to your screen, but it may be worth a try.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2015 20:40
Oh I tried every trick on google to get rid of them. No luck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:46:10
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:46:10