Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Force Awakens Discussion Thread!

Author
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 23:10 Edited at: 29th Dec 2015 23:10
How has no one been talking about this yet?! Crazy!

Anyway, I finally saw The Force Awakens the other day, and I was absolutely stunned. The visual were amazing, the dialog was fantastic, and the new leads and characters are perfect. It just goes to show that while George Lucas created the universe of Star Wars, he shouldn't have been the ones to direct the movies, especially the prequel trilogy.

Now, if you haven't seen the movie yet, and don't want to accidentally read any spoilers then... move along.

If you would like to discuss the movie with me in this thread, please place any spoilers in code snippets, okeeday?

So, let's talk about some things that I have theories on. I'm not super-well versed in the whole Star Wars Universe, but I am familiar with many characters. First of all, I'd like to discuss

And also

And finally

Go on and discuss if you dare!

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 05:37 Edited at: 30th Dec 2015 05:39
Overall I really liked it.
It seemed to me like an apology to fans of the older films.

Edit: Sorry to anyone who saw that when my spoiler tag failed to work. Fixed.
To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
dealerboatsales
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I also amazed.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 10:05
Haven't seen it yet. All those "digitally remastered" versions, episodes 1,2,3 and that Clone Wars cartoon stuff kind of ruined it for me. I'll probably wait for the Blue-ray.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 13:26
Quote: "Haven't seen it yet. All those "digitally remastered" versions, episodes 1,2,3 and that Clone Wars cartoon stuff kind of ruined it for me. I'll probably wait for the Blue-ray.
"

Those are the reason I didn't think I'd enjoy this. But I did, and I'm glad I made the effort to go the cinema to see it... It wouldn't have been the same to experience it first at home.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 15:55
Quote: "How has no one been talking about this yet?! Crazy!"

Because everyone has been utterly loyal to their fellow fans and haven't revealed any spoilers. I'm amazed (and grateful) that I didn't know any of the story when I finally got to see it today.

Quote: "Haven't seen it yet. All those "digitally remastered" versions, episodes 1,2,3 and that Clone Wars cartoon stuff kind of ruined it for me. I'll probably wait for the Blue-ray"

I would recommend the full cinema experience. It was a treat to myself so I got a VIP seat in the best screen in 3D with Dolby Extreme sound. The 3D isn't a big deal, but the Dolby Extreme sound and big screen is worth it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 07:55 Edited at: 31st Dec 2015 08:11
Am I really the only one who thinks it sucked? I rate it 3/10 at most. It was a huge disappointment. The only thing good about this movie was the cinematography.

Unlike any of the previous episodes, this one had a highly linear and shallow plot. It didn't bother to go into any of the character's personalities and conflicts and it was full of plot holes.

I wasn't impressed by Ren (the bad guy) in the slightest. First of all, the movie did a terrible job at conveying his internal conflicts

I felt like the film was way too focused on Finn. A storm trooper doesn't seem like an interesting focal point of a Star Wars movie.

There were so many scenes where nothing made sense. They didn't do a good job with integrating the story into the existing universe as a sequel. There are too many unexplained things and too many new things. For these reasons I cannot rate this movie more than 3/10. I was definitely disappointed.

Furthermore, BB-8's character was degraded to nothing more than a marketing device for selling merchandise. At least R2D2 had a personality, BB-8 is literally the "Minion" of StarWars; trash humour appealing to no other audience than 6 year olds.
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 08:38
I agree with a lot of your observations Comet. I went into it with an open mind and decided not to think too hard about anything(I don't analyze movies anymore as it winds up my inner comic book guy). I was chasing that childhood magic of the original star wars and it was there(at least for me).
I didn't mind BB-8, he;'s no R2D2 but he has his moments. I kinda liked the general similarities yet slight difference in character they both had. Puts in my mind the idea that they are a mass produced unit, but each has their own quirks.
To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 12:44
Don't forget this is part 1 of a 3 part-sequel. I agree, there are lots of unanswered questions and seemingly flimsy plot lines. But I would hope these all come together in the next 2 films. It would be foolish to wrap everything up in Episode 7 and have nothing to reveal in the next 2 films.

In the originals, we don't find out that Luke is Darth Vader's son until the end of Episode 5, and that Leia and Luke are siblings until Episode 6.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 14:59
Some of the plot lines are a little thin as TheComet pointed out.

They focused on Finn because they wanted to show that the new Stormtroopers may not want any part in the First Order, because they know it's wrong.

You know who they should have focused more on? Poe Dameron, I feel like he is a major character that will play a huge role in the next two movies. At least, that's what I'm hoping for!

It was a very enjoyable movie, and let's not forget that the original trilogy also suffered from seeming plot holes and things going unexplained until the other movies came out!

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2015 15:29 Edited at: 31st Dec 2015 15:30
Quote: "You know who they should have focused more on? Poe Dameron, I feel like he is a major character that will play a huge role in the next two movies. At least, that's what I'm hoping for!"

Hell yeah,

Quote: "and let's not forget that the original trilogy also suffered from seeming plot holes and things going unexplained until the other movies came out!"

And that was all movies back then, and even today's movies, except today's movies offer up lame explanations. Back then it was "Just because MF!" source -A Jedi did it.
Which is why I don't think hard when I watch a movie. I just engage the fantasy. Life is real, I watch stuff to escape real.
To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 21:23
My view is that it is a very hard movie to live up to and do justice and you're going to find regardless of what you do with it, there's fans who will be disappointed, as what Star Wars encapsulated for people kinda differs from person to person. Somebody who is engulfed in the lore of the Star Wars universe would be different to somebody who loved the action and the heroics and villainy of the characters. So, I felt the best way for me to go into the movie was with a big open mind and accept I am not going to get the Stars Wars I watched all those years ago. I look at a lot of "nostalgia" films and have to keep an open mind, Jurassic World, Star Trek, Terminator: Genisys, Mad Max and so on. I think The Force Awakens did a good job of trying to be a Star Wars movie, though a part of it, is perhaps through referencing the originals a lot, but I think a part of what people wanted is that Star Wars nostalgia,

As for plot holes and things the didn't make so much sense, I hope some of it will make more sense in the upcoming 2 movies. However, I was expecting them. Like I was expecting Jurassic World to be terribly written, with poor acting, a predictable plot and Chris Pratt being Chris Pratt, but what I ended up watching it for is what I watched the original Jurassic Park movie for, people trying to outrun/outsmart dinosaurs, dinosaurs killing people and dinosaurs fighting each other and I got exactly that and likewise, I expected Terminator: Genisys to be full of action, self references and a cheesy Arnold Schwarznegger.

However, The Force Awakens was not a disappointment for me, and I quite enjoyed it.

Quote: "And that was all movies back then, and even today's movies, except today's movies offer up lame explanations. Back then it was "Just because MF!" source -A Jedi did it.
Which is why I don't think hard when I watch a movie. I just engage the fantasy. Life is real, I watch stuff to escape real."

I agree with this. I actually prefer the "just because" to a lame reason being made up, because the latter feels false, whereas the former you can go, "yeah, they did that because they wanted to do that, but that thing was kinda cool, so I'll let that slide". It does depends on the movie of course and should not encourage sloppy writing. Star Wars never took itself seriously, so I don't feel it should now.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Jan 2016 22:06
Yeah, I imagine the script writers were sat at their table, wondering just how they could possibly live up to the legacy of the Original Trilogy (and avoid the pitfalls of the accursed Prequels). It would be perhaps the most daunting of tasks. I can't imagine what JJ Abrams must have felt like at first, ecstatic to be directing it but probably nervous as to how old George would respond to it.
But, it was a pretty amazing film, and now I want to go see it again to see all of the things I missed the first time. Apparently, I missed a LOT - but so did everyone else who has only seen it once, meaning it will be like a completely different movie when I go to see it again.

I love when movies pull that off.

Davros
Years of Service
User Offline
the protagonist should of had a Mohawk like mr t
Exterminate! Exterminate! You will comply!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 17:56
I think it was better than A New Hope, although it borrowed the story line to a certain extent of course.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:55:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:55:32