Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Warning: The Nonks are coming..... Hide now or forever be affected!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 06:01 Edited at: 12th Dec 2003 06:07
Does anyone here remember the Simulations of A-Life that became popular with gamers in the late 80s and 90s?
You do??? Good… Then you will also remember the game “Creatures� that took artificial life to a new level when it was released.

For several years I have worked on A-Life programs and one of these was called “R.I.C.K�. RICK was a special learning language developed for a game manufacturer that would be able to adapt to its environment and to the player in a dynamic fashion not following any set rules. To coin a phrase, it could “Think outside the box�.

Over the years my baby has grown up, and I am proud to say that some of its concepts (and code) have graced many an AI game program over the years, so I felt it only right that I should try and see if Dark basic was up to the task.

The following screenshots are from the almost finished program called, “NONKS�, and they show just what I have been up to for the past 6 months.

(Mmm, An apple a day yes, but MORE bloody oranges!!!

(So..After all these X-Rays, what do I get except being able to read in the dark cos of the glow?!?)

In the game (its NOT a game as such…read below) you take control of a certain Nonk called Fred who you have to nurture, love, play with and generally take care of.

Unlike other “Sim� games, you don’t have to teach Fred anything as he’s all grown up and knows enough to maintain himself and to let YOU know what he needs.

After the Christmas Break I will be putting the final touch to the program and it should be ready to release to you all for about the 7th of January.

In the meantime please post your questions, comments and other things here and I will do my best to answer you.

Enjoy the game (when its out)

Q & A

Q) So is this Nonk alive then or not?

(A) In the sense that it is an organism simulation then yes it is VERY much alive. Treat your Nonk well, and look after it. He depends on you and the code that went into building him is totally dynamic and interrelative and interactive. The only way your Nonk could get any more alive was if there WAS a Nonk for real.

(Q) Is there an end to the game?

(A) Yes there is. The object is to try and get your Nonk to the ripe old age of 120. If you can do this then you can consider yourself a “Winner�.
However… You may be able to do so well that you even surpass this age… It all depends on your skill (and a bit of luck too).

(Q) Why did you not enter this in to the AlienWare contest?

(A) Because I felt that it was not a game as such but something that was more like a “Toy�. Something that does have a goal but the goal and game play is not really important. So I don’t believe that it would have been suitable as a “game� for the competition.

(Q) Are there any tips, cheats or other things in this?

(A) Yes there is!! Glad you asked that one. But unfortunately for you I am not going to tell you any of them, except to say “Everything in moderation� is a good thing, and that if you stay on the game long enough to get the DNA Splicer then you can have all manner of FUN. (But try NOT to turn your Nonk into a bowl of jelly please!

(Q) Is this a 3D game or something else?

(A) The main character Fred is 3D, and so are a few other things too, but there are some 2D sprites used for other objects. Backgrounds were done in a mixture of Bryce and PSP. I was using a sprite for a long time and then when I saw the 3D Alien I thought I would use him.

(Q) What can I do if my Nonk gets sick, and you said “Nonks� so is there more than one?

(A) If your Nonk gets sick you can analyse it and try and determine the cause. You can then administer medicines, diet or direct DNA splicing to try and correct the problem. There are also some natural remedy’s you may try. And yes, there is more than one Nonk, but only if I decide to take this program further and that, strangely enough is where you come in. If there is sufficient interest from the DB community then I would be happy to not only do a full tutorial on the making of the game but I will be looking for people to join in with the development of the full game. So its all up to you if we take this further.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 07:32
wow!!! that looks VERY NICE!!!

congrats man!

I got best and fairest for soccer WHOOHOOO!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 10:44
Looks like great fun, when can we get our own Nonks? (download?)

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you could enter it for the Comp. What have you got to loose?

Pincho.
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 14:45
@Greenling:

Thanks, I hope you like the game too. You are only seeing a small area and about 40% of the graphics in those 2 pictures, and it looks much better when it all moves.

@Van B:

You will be able to download your own Nonk the beginning of Jan 2004 as I am going away for Christmas this year and will be back around the 3rd of Jan.

@Pincho:

Yes I could do, but it really could not compete with a true game...People tend to view these kinds of program as fun, but soon bin them if given a "real" game to play. Besides there are many good games being entered and I don’t really need a new computer right now.
Plus it will not be finished and ready for you all until the 7th of Jan which is past the competition deadline.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 23:02
sounds cool!
Are the Nonks dangerous?
just kidding, let us download!

Visit our new site! : http://www.megatoncreations.tk

If life throws you a grenade...pull the pin and throw it back!
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 10:53
Just a small update.

Unfortunately it looks like I wont be taking this project further as I already have another program on-going and also there has not been any interest (apart from the 4 posters above) from this board on the Nonks game or its development.

However, I hope you all like it when you download it and let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a GREAT NEW YEAR!

See you in 2004.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 20:40 Edited at: 20th Dec 2003 20:41
oh nooo... i feel my free time slipping away as i post this hehee
^_^ i really look forward to this; looks good
sounds and looks alot like Creatures, might wanna change the style a lil, but still alot of people are going to love it hehee

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I think I just remembered what A-Life was. It was those little wriggly sperm things that had to try to survive using simple AI. I wanted to make one of those. It's on my list of things to do.

Pincho.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 09:48
@Reaperman, I was very interested by your post. Personally I would not treat the volume of posts as any indication of interest. Normally its only an indication of who has got free time and the desire to procrastinate! Actually, I think you should take the project forward as there will undoubtedly be a lot of interest. After all, your project is very original.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
schoenhs
Years of Service
User Offline
hadnt seen this message before...
looks great, i've been wanting to play around with alife forever but always found it very daunting, perhaps after you release the game you could also release a tutorial on how you made it?
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 20:40
This looks really interesting.

You should really reconsider entering it in the Alienware contest. I mean, What have you got to lose?

I look forward to grabbing the demo when you make it available.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 22:27
My twopenneth...finish it, it looks nice. Get it featured in the TGC newsletter, I'm sure Rich will oblige because it will show another side to DB.

Good Luck!

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Reaperman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 05:26
Update:

Ok everyone, as you may know if you looked at my 20line game posting, I have been having a problem with my host so I have not been able to upload this program for you all.

I am a little bogged down at work at this time so I have not been able to chase them up as much as I should have.

So I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good uploading host. Does this site have an area to upload to, or maybe you know of a dedicated Dark Basic site that has an upload area??

I would appreciate it as I want to see your feedback over the game.

Thanks

PS: I wont be back here for a few days because of work so dont worry if I dont respond right away to anything you may post here.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 22:23
Hey, I hope I can help you out with your host problem! I've got webspace at my website http://www.frostyle.com that I can set you up with. I consider it reliable and VERY fast. Email me at webmaster@frostyle.com and we can figure it out.

Hope I helped.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD, 48x12X48 CD-RW, 16X DVD-ROM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 19:12:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 19:12:12