Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A dual screen setup fail after switching cable

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 14:19
Did anyone experience this before, what could be the cause for something like this?

Everything was working fine up until the day I decided to buy new furniture (you should have seen my sofa..) and decided to go the extra mile and (finally) purchase myself a proper PC setup.
I now have a table and chair exclusively for PC use, while the TV and sofa will continue to receive the PS4/Movie attention they deserve. But with this change in furniture I needed to upgrade my HDMI cable for a longer reach.

Here is where the problem immediately occurred: while my PC can still detect the TV, and I can drag windows (or mouse cursor) onto this display - it is simply rendered black
IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 15:58
I've never used a dual monitor setup before, but it looks like it's working properly... If you can do what you mentioned, it's receiving a signal from the computer and is working properly. It probably looks black because your desktop wallpaper doesn't extend to that monitor and (I think) Windows doesn't render the task bar on secondary monitors. Have you been able to maximize a window into the second monitor? If so, you're flyin' cool.
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 17:56
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 11:51
Are you by any chance Benjamin? >.> I always afraided from a weird name.. oh and + folders

I will probably never understand why; after I turned the cable around (the end which was plugged in TV is now plugged in PC, and vice versa) it suddenly worked
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 14:07
It was probably just a loose connection, or there is dust getting in the way of some of the contacts on that side of the cable. I always dust out my ports whenever I am doing computer maintenance (about every 3 weeks!), in order to prevent dust bunnies and any interference

Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 16:06 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2016 16:32
Quote: "Are you by any chance Benjamin? >.> I always afraided from a weird name.. oh and + folders"

Yes. I lost my password to my original account and at the same time lost the password to the e-mail address it was registered with. I always afraided from a forgotted passwords... oh and + accounts + stuff. Awww...
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 16:08
Sounds plausible. I once had my laptop performance drop immensely during gaming and had to place a pack of ice underneath to cool it down (because I suspected overheating). After several days running back and forth to the fridge every odd hour, I had enough - cracked open the case (warranty be void) and looked. The laptop fan stared up at me as if silently daring me to take a look underneath.. I never thought a laptop, thin as this, could hold so much dust in one place. I'm still paranoid while playing games on that laptop because the horror that was watching its fps drop while running a game of PVP will forever be engraved in my eyes.

tl;dr dust is very cruel.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 16:19
Quote: "Yes. I lost my password to my original account and at the same time lost the password to the e-mail address it was registered with. I always afraided from a forgotted passwords... oh and + accounts + stuff."

Sounds dangerous. I always keep a notepad document with usernames and passwords for cases like this :S
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 16:33
Quote: "Sounds dangerous. I always keep a notepad document with usernames and passwords for cases like this :S"

I do too, but for some reason this particular password wasn't written down (I think I had changed it and forgotten to write it down). Awww....
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 18:13
Quote: "and I can drag windows (or mouse cursor) onto this display - it is simply rendered black"
Wait, I don't understand. You were or were not able to drag windows and cursor onto the new monitor and see them?
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 19:14
I think he means he can drag stuff to the other screen but doesn't see it, like the secondary display is there but turned off.

You say the problem started after you switched a cable? Well, cable is bad, put the old one back!

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 16:19:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 16:19:25