Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Opensource IDE for an Open DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

For those of you wondering who I am, it's Daniel TGC! Author of such wonderful works as Teach Yourself Game Programming, the DarkPRINCIPLES videos and of course that youtube channel thingie with about 200 DBPro videos!
I'm now Daniel Ex TGC Support guy so I'm not really comfortable with the name Daniel TGC anymore! So now it's plain old dcforeman.

I hope your all as hyped about DBPro going open source as I am! I have plans... evil... fiendish plans, muhahahahahahahahahahaha. No that didn't need to be bolded, but it was fun.

Anyway, this thread is intended to discuss idea's revolving around a possible new Opensource IDE for DarkBASIC Professional. I'll give you some of mine, then I hope you'll discuss my ideas, give idea's of your own, until a design starts to take shape. Once that happens I can begin to work on the project. After all, never ask the community to do something that you are not yourself prepared to do right? Words to live by I feel. As idea's evolve that I like I'll add them to a list at the bottom of the first post as we go along. If you see anything on this list that you HATE, please message me or post here telling me why i'm totally insane for thinking about it. Or if I've missed a great idea that you REALLY think needs to be put in there, then please argue your point! I'll listen! I promise!

So yeah I'm basically looking to give up some of my free time so we can have an awesome community IDE that anyone can fork out and play with.

My Idea's so far

Base it on Geany an open source IDE that's crossplatform! Why make it cross platform? Cause I want to code on my Mac dammit! I know I'll never be able to compile on the Mac, but it's an IDE. It's nice to be able to write code, save it to the cloud and just compile test when I get back or via something like Splashtop.

Base it on HTML5... to make it REALLY cross platform compatible! I mean anything with a BROWSER could run it. That's the dream, coding on my iPad, Android, XBOX, or even setting up a lovely home server that I can log into, code, and compile all off a Windows based server. Code anywhere, any time, use it on any device. I think that would be awesome. I also really love the idea of a personal programming cloud. Anyone remember Freedom engine? Think that, only for DBPro. Again though, I am realistic, this would purely be for coding, I'm under no illusions that DBPro programs could be transmitted over the web to anything other than another windows PC. Having said that, again. I feel I could code, submit, compile and then run the results remotely using Splashtop where-ever I am.

Base it in Visual Studio, because more guys here are probably able to use that, than HTML5 or know how to hack Geany, so the community can contribute.

Start simple, a text editor, tab support, basic program settings, access to the help file, and a compile button to start with. Make it work, then add features to it later on as suggested here.

These are my idea's so far. Please feel free to tare them apart!

This is the official idea list!

There are no official idea's yet
dcforeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I left it 24 hours, there's been 59 views and zero interest. I'll abandon this concept and move onto something else.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 12:02
As there are many IDEs already, I think people would be more interested in a project to add more functionality to DBPro.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
dcforeman
Years of Service
User Offline
No explanation needed! People are either interested or not. I've got plenty of other projects going to keep me busy
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 15:23
This is about a month old but somehow I missed this. Yes, I would like to see an Open Source IDE for DB Pro. Something with features from each IDEs out there already combined into one with improvements. At the moment I use Synergy although I have Indigo, Code Surge, and Blue IDE.

I've recently started coding again with Dark Basic Pro for personal use this time.
Maybe it\'s just a bunch of stuff that happens. -- Homer Simpson

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:31:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:31:49