Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Limbs in object rotate around center of object?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2016 05:20 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2016 05:31
Hi all,
I was making little test for a car/bike movement and so I made the object with the 4 wheels as separated objects in 3D Studio, then exported with Panda exporter, Panda has been working great for me many times, just as I export this and load in the GDK I try to rotate the limbs corresponding to the wheels in the X axis and they rotate in the X axys but the pivot point is in the center of the object not the center of the limb which was set in 3D Studio, so the effect is not working, is there a way to correctly make this work? I tried linking the wheels to the car body in 3D Studio or not having them linked, resetting the XForms etc and a few Panda options but of course there is nothing about pivot point for limbs. Thanks beforehand for any help =).
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 14:29
Hi, yes you can achieve this, and you shouldn't need Panda, the direct 3ds export from 3D Studio should do it. Just load the .3ds into DGDK and then save it as .dbo (or .x)

But instead of rotating those wheel limbs, you should declare an animation at 3DS. Of course the animation is the wheel (s) looping around themselves.

Sorry I cannot remember the 3ds type of transformation that is allowed (Euler?), but I can take a look for you if you want.

That way I made the spaceship radar turn around itself in this example:

https://www.facebook.com/mpl3d/videos/451222888245868/

ronin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Morcilla for the great help =), well the fact is 3DS files are not loading for me for some time, program crashes if I try to load any 3DS file, dont know if maybe was due to certain update, in any case, I have been using X files for long time now, just I never got around the limb rotation in this fashion. So since this 3DS to DBO option is not available, I guess I should continue with X files as I dont think there is other way to accurately make DBO files. I have tried following your suggestion, I made a 360 frames animation in 3D Studio, exported to X file and then I adjust the wheel frame based on a variable value, I did this because I want to go backwards too, I know I could just play the object and set speed if it was only forward, well the solution making the animation as you suggested is working fine, just at some point I see like the wheel stop for a milisecond when it goes really fast, maybe its only my bad perception of this... I mean its not happening like every time it completes a 360ยบ loop but just after some seconds (some loops) so I wonder if its maybe optical ilussion as when it goes really fast the eye cant see the wheel like its but more like an almost continuous surface.

By the way I have always been impressed by your Solar System simulator, but I never got to see this video with different views from spaceship and all these ship maneuvers, its quite awesome work you are doing =), I know you give it for free but really you deserve to receive something by all that great work, so I hope it goes really well for you and your ptoject in the future =).
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 19:53
Thank you Ronin.

Trust your eye. I bet there is an issue with that animation. No optical illusion
Perhaps the 3ds transformation type is not the right one or something like that.
Wheels should turn without jumps or gaps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:15:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:15:47