Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Multiple cameras vs single

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 16th Mar 2016 16:39
Hi humans!
Ive never had issues with Bloom or other postprocessing techniques but today Ive found example from DarkSource
which I think maybe can work faster.
So, there are two ways to create buffers for postprocessing: you can create plain and camera for each pass or you can use "set camera effect" command which use only one camera ( this is how it used in DarkShader )
So here is the question: which way is faster?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2016 22:13 Edited at: 16th Mar 2016 22:14
Out of preference and suitability for my particular game, I do not use either method mentioned.

I like to use one camera set to an image, and apply the shader to the pasted image using Image Kit. I even get blend modes and there is no need to hide/show/mask objects (at least not fundamentally).

If plugins are not desirable. I would say out of the two methods you mention; I would pick the option which requires the least cameras, set camera effect.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2016 08:34
I think that maybe the speed difference between using several or just 1 camera is negligible really - if someone is using sync masks I mean. If you take away the controlled sync order then I'm sure that multiple cameras will be slower, because they'd all be rendering with sync, rather than one at a time with sync mask.

I have been wondering though what the absolute fastest way is when you need a depth render.

I keep forgetting about all the extra stuff that ImageKit does - currently I'm using it to provide an interference image for a water plain, I need to make time to experiment with the pixel shader stuff.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:04:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:04:05