Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / The fate of plugins AI Physics and Shader?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 03:21
So,

What's the fate of the officially owned TGC plugins? They are no longer for sale, but neither have they been released as open source. Are they simply going to become abandon-ware with no option for support or improvement via the community?
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 04:28
It would appear that the new version of DBP with the faster compiler is the only version available now unless you have the paid for version which is still available via your account. Sadly this newer version does not support plugins previously sold as is the case for third party plugins. Some may work while I suspect most will not, as far as I am aware it was the intention of Lee to make available as many plugins as free and open source as is possible. Some of the sold plugins are owned by TGC while I believe others are not and so all that Lee could do regarding the ones TGC do not own was for him to attempt to contact their creators and request they are made free and open source. So far only Dark Physics version 1 has been made available alongside the newer version of DBP. The timeline for getting all this done I believe was to start this month but no commitment has been made as to when the work will be completed, have a read of DBP out in the open thread here https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215409 and of course download/peruse what has been made available so far here https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/Dark-Basic-Pro In addition to this if you wish to continue and use the newer version then a user has provided simple installation guide here to get folks up and running https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216772
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
I still got the installer for the old download-from-TGC-website DBPro.
And also keys.

So can I use that installer to install on a different computer?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 19:00
Yes, I have used the same installer to install on 4 or 5 computers over the years. You really don't even need to install, I currently run off a USB stick after just copying the install directory from my old pc to it. You just need to redirect the path to the compiler in the IDE
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 21:41

If anyone cares to answer these, I have been out of the loop (no pun intended) on the new version of DBPro...

(1) What is the improvement with the new DBP? Was it mainly done for newer versions of Windows?
(2) Why did they release it in such an incomplete form?
(3) Does Sparky's collision still work? It was one of my favorites!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 22:56
Major improvement is in the compiler. Which is now also open source.

It is in this state (plug-in breakage etc) because it was Lee's internal build for fpscr, it was not intended to be a product update to dbro.

U77 remains compatible with 8 an 10 so no pressing need to switch.

Not sure on sparkys sorry
Symon
Years of Service
User Offline
can any 1 send me a complier folder that validates box2d latest version.pm me ta.
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2016 18:10 Edited at: 25th Mar 2016 18:14
Ok, I seems to get the info jumbled up, so just wanted to make sure here;

We can still use and reinstall DBPro if we had the old installer (free and full).

But

How can we get DBPro full version, and it's plugins? I mean, there's no way they'll just canned those wonderful plugins to oblivion, right?
I just decided to buy those plugins, please don't tell me they're gone forever
I still can't believe they pull those out from market. I mean, why even?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2016 20:09 Edited at: 25th Mar 2016 20:12
The website has been updated recently, so a lot of strange things have happened; hopefully given some more time, things will improve so that past products can be purchased via a past products page.

Even if new products are the focus, it does not mean the new products are an option; there should still be links and purchasing options for when the older products are the only solution, or the better solution; otherwise the only option given to an individual is to shop elsewhere. It must be a temporary issue.

I purchased the products so this does not affect me (so far), but I do see your situation as being frustrating. In the future things will improve as the open source version matures and provides alternative solutions to key features; it is a transitional phase it seems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:21:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:21:13