Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Dark Lights and Dynamic Lights

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
By testing out the code i found these graphics errors though. See how the lights are not evenly distributed and it rendered also on the back of the object and the light is not there. Sometimes it does not even render a few lights or objects. (See attachments)
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 11:37 Edited at: 8th Apr 2016 11:49
By testing out the code i found these graphics errors though. See how the lights are not evenly distributed and it rendered also on the back of the object and the light is not there. Sometimes it does not even render a few lights or objects. (See attachments)

[EDIT]

Forgot to mention, at re render this error with the lights it gives me.
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 16:09
MateiSoft Romania
I don't know what sort of objects you are using, but if you are using multiple copies ("clones") of a smaller number of source objects then the scene could consist of clones with the source objects loaded but hidden or excluded. In that case you wouldn't need to load the objects again - just make new clones which is far quicker. Hopefully I'll find time to look at your latest demo later today. Sounds like good news anyway.

VanB

In some of my tests I merely tried to recalculate the light map. That worked fine without a shader applied but failed when the bumpmapping shader is used. I haven't had time to narrow down the problem further but it is possible that the extra data such as tangents and binormals are causing the problem rather than the mere fact of a shader. Just a thought.

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't use clones though, i had some big problems with them if i remember, at scaling or something so I reload them through a temp file which contains their .x location.
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 17:59 Edited at: 8th Apr 2016 18:06
Quote: "I don't use clones though, i had some big problems with them "

Strange. I use them a lot without problems.

Edit Sorry. Only just seen your two posts with the screenshots showing lighting errors. Could you supply code showing the problem?

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course, here you have the WHOLE light adding and light rendering code from my engine.

Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 20:02
Er, yes. That code might contain the problem but it doesn't show the problem. Perhaps I should have said: "Could you supply simple runnable code showing the probem?" I don't have time or energy to get to grips with the whole of your engine.

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Green Gandalf,

Please forgive me, i couldn't make the application work as in my engine but i created something to show... Maybe you can guess where the problem it will be. Sorry again and thank you!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 11:20
Quote: "Please forgive me, i couldn't make the application work as in my engine but i created something to show"

No problem. I know how awkward it can be to devise a short demo of a problem. Thanks for the demo, I'll take a look.

Powered by Free Banners
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 14:29
MateiSoft Romania

I couldn't get your code to work. I think it was trying to load non-existent media files before doing the lightmapping.

You seem to be doing a lot of unnecessary deleting and reloading.

Anyway, the following simplified version of your code works perfectly for me.

I've used clones instead of reloading objects but you can reload if you prefer.

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 18:55
Sorry, off topic. I use DBPro version 7.4 and don’t have the Object Scale functions. Just curious if this would work the same. Thank you.

MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Green Gandalf,

I tested out your example but at re calculation, still, the lights dissappears. First time is ok, the lights are there as it should when adding for the first time the lights, but the second time, it ruins the lights, some appears and some don't or sometimes, no lights appear at all. So currious why this is happening though
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
WickedX,

I will try your code soon.
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 21:35 Edited at: 10th Apr 2016 23:42
Thank you, Alex. No hurry.

Edit: Never mind, it works the same.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 11:49
Quote: "Anyway, the following simplified version of your code works perfectly for me. "

Well, it did yesterday.

Quote: "First time is ok, the lights are there as it should when adding for the first time the lights, but the second time, it ruins the lights, some appears and some don't or sometimes, no lights appear at all."

Yes, that's happening here now as well (see attached screenshots).

Quote: "So currious why this is happening though"

So am I! I thought I'd fixed those issues - obviously I haven't . I'll take a look and see if I accidentally changed something back to what it was. However, I suspect there is some residual stuff in memory behind the scenes when we delete objects. There was a post a while back about a memory leak when deleting objects and/or shaders. Perhaps this is related. If that's the problem perhaps we need to use different object IDs for the new objects? It won't cure any memory leak if there is one but might bypass your particular problem. I'll do a bit more experimenting. You're lucky it's a wet and windy Sunday here so coding seems a good option.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 16:32 Edited at: 10th Apr 2016 16:33
Quote: "If that's the problem perhaps we need to use different object IDs for the new objects? It won't cure any memory leak if there is one but might bypass your particular problem."

Looks like that hack works. It's not an ideal solution because it requires careful housekeeping to keep track of object IDs. But it does seem to work. Try this version:

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Green Gandalf,

It works PERFECTLY! I will struggle to implement this code and after that message here.

Thank You!!!
Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 11:01
You're welcome.

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems like when i try to update the code the actual shader does not appear on the object. I can't spot any errors in this code, I know for sure that i am doing something wrong...

Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 15:29
Have you tried putting some simple debug code after recalculating the lightmap but before applying the shader and bump map? The objects should appear textured and lightmapped. Do they?

Your use of texture IDs puzzled me. When you rebuild the objects you use:

but later on when you apply the shader you use this:

That looks wrong for two reasons: (1) why is the base texture a fixed ID (=1) whereas the bump map has a variable value? and (2) why do you load the bump map twice?

Powered by Free Banners
MateiSoft Romania
Years of Service
User Offline
I re organised the code and saw the issues,

Unfortunately now it throws me an error that a specific object does not exist when building the lightmaps.

I am confused regarding this part of code(and the lines that look like this):

Here is the reorgranised code:

Alex Matei CEO
www.alexmatei.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 19:49 Edited at: 11th Apr 2016 20:12
Quote: "Unfortunately now it throws me an error that a specific object does not exist when building the lightmaps."

Which specific object?

My original snippet (which could be improved by the way ) works as follows:

Suppose for simplicity the scene consists of objects 1 to 6 before being lightmapped.

If you press <control> to calculate the first lightmap the code first deletes those 6 objects and then creates new copies numbered 1001 to 1006. (You will obviously have to choose a value more appropriate to your application - 1000 was just an example.) These six new objects are then lightmapped before applying the shader.

Suppose you then make changes to the lights and then recalculate the lightmap. The code will first create a new scene and lightmap as above but now the objects will be numbered 2001 to 2006 and so on.

If at some point you have made 5 lightmaps then the scene objects will be numbered 5001 to 5006 unless you have also changed the scene. If you also add or delete scene objects you should probably add or delete them using IDs in the same range otherwise you will get into a coding nightmare. For example, you might delete the 3rd object, currently object ID 5003 say, and add a new seventh object. It would make sense perhaps to number the new object 5007 rather than 7 so everything stays in step. You can them recalculate the lightmap in the same way as before, i.e. first delete the current scene objects numbered 5001, 5002, 5004 to 5007. Then reconstruct the scene with copies numbered 6001, 6002, 6004 to 6007. Then recalculate the lightmap followed by the normal mapping as before.

Incidentally your snippet will start to go wrong after 8 or 9 lightmaps because you've tried to use the range 9000 upwards for something else. You'll obviously need to plan in advance for the suitable ranges for the lightmapping process and adjust the code accordingly. Perhaps reserve low object IDs for the light objects (which don't need to change unless they are actual scene objects) and then the original set of scene objects. Then use multiples of some sensible large number for the offset copies of the scene (I used 1000 but you might think 10000 is better, etc).

Can you see an obvious way of improving my original snippet? [It should be obvious - but whether it's worth doing is another matter. ]

Edit: Haven't checked your revised snippet yet.

[Edit2: I see you are saving your scene objects using names based on the IDs offset by multiples of 1000. It would probably be tidier not to do that. Then when you close and restart your editor you can start the lightmapping numbering afresh. The offset IDs are simply a way of bypassing the ligtmapping/shader bug and should be hidden from the user I guess.]