Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Resetting the file read "cursor"

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 18:08
Hi all! Fairly straightforward question for you all. Not sure if it's an available functionality or not, but when I open a file with OPEN TO READ, the "read cursor" starts at the beginning of the file. So if I then use the READ STRING command it will start with the very first line. If I use READ STRING again, it will read the next line, etc, etc (this is a simplified example, but I'm using it to just illustrate this quickly).

Is there a way for me to "reset the read cursor" back to the beginning of the file again to "re-read" previously read lines of the file? I know I can do it by closing the file and re-opening it again, but if possible I'd like to do it without having to go through that.

Hopefully I'm making sense with this. It's 3am and I've been coding all day hahaha

Any help would be awesome. If you need more info or have no idea what I'm on about, let me know and I'll try and clarify. Thanks in advance!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 20:43
Are you using IanM's Matrix1 utilities? If you are then it might be worth looking at his DATAFILE commands which might enable you to do this sort of thing.

Powered by Free Banners
Attila
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
close and reopen the file, open will always set the pointer to the beginning of a file
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 22:02
Attila, I think you missed this bit of his post:

Quote: "Is there a way for me to "reset the read cursor" back to the beginning of the file again to "re-read" previously read lines of the file? I know I can do it by closing the file and re-opening it again, but if possible I'd like to do it without having to go through that."

CumQuaT, On second thoughts I suspect the DATAFILE solution will require a fair bit of rewriting your code - but only you can judge.

Powered by Free Banners
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 23:42

You could put the read results in an array, which would automatically hold the line number, and then re-read them conveniently from the array instead of the file.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 00:29
Yes, I wondered about that - but didn't suggest it because I suspect the files might be very large. Only CumQuaT knows whether that is likely to be an issue. If size is not a problem then I agree with you.

Powered by Free Banners
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 01:43
You're spot on, Green Gandalf. The files are pretty hefty, so dimming them out would be a bit of a hit on the ol' memory banks. It's odd, you'd think this kind of thing would be pretty standard...

I'm actually only requiring this functionality for one specific part of my program, so re-writing it to use the MATRIX1 stuff might be fesable... Now I just need to dig up the how-tos... Haven't seen them for a looooong time!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 02:18
Hows the game development going? What's new?

If RAM permits, convert the file to a memblock using make memblock from file; then access the data rapidly and directly

It is a shame the SKIP BYTES command does not allow skipping back a number of bytes.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 12:12
Quote: "If RAM permits, convert the file to a memblock using make memblock from file; then access the data rapidly and directly"

Sounds worth a try.

Quote: "It is a shame the SKIP BYTES command does not allow skipping back a number of bytes."

Indeed.

Quote: " It's odd, you'd think this kind of thing would be pretty standard."

It is - in other languages I've used.

Quote: "The files are pretty hefty, so dimming them out would be a bit of a hit on the ol' memory banks."

What happens when a file is opened to read? Is it loaded into memory so that you'd end up using about twice as much if you also read it into an array? Would Chris Tate's method bypass this doubling? Or is it not an issue? This sort of behind the scenes stuff is a mystery to me.

Powered by Free Banners
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 13:29
Quote: "Hows the game development going? What's new?"

I'm amazed there are still people here who remember my dinosaur of a project hahaha it's coming to a close finally, thanks for asking! A big memory limit issue has been throwing a massive bloody spanner in the works in the last leg where DBPro projects can only have so many lines of code in them before they won't compile anymore. I've ever tried working with precompiler code and such to get things working but without much avail (precompilers fix the data limit issue but make the final EXE unstable as all hell for the end-user) so in the end I wrote a little script decoder into the code and am now outsourcing large swathes of code into external script files which I then read in through the decoder and getting it to work that way. Crazy? Yes. Working? Also yes. At this point after 5 years, to run into something like that was pretty emotionally devastating, so I'm doing whatever I can to get around it. But so far I'm managing and things are back on track to my finishing the project once and for all. I'm just around the corner from pushing out the second-to-last major update before the game is finally done.

Quote: "If RAM permits, convert the file to a memblock using make memblock from file; then access the data rapidly and directly"

That's a valid idea, certainly... I might end up having to do just that.

Quote: "It is a shame the SKIP BYTES command does not allow skipping back a number of bytes."

I had that same thought and even went to try it with no avail. Kinda makes sense that it should work!

Quote: "What happens when a file is opened to read?"

Surprisingly not too much with just a little script file of a few dozen KB. The issue is DarkBASIC's ability to rapidly process opening and closing files in quick succession. Thus far, if it's only ever a READ operation it seems stable enough, but I've had problems before with this same issue and WRITE operations, so I figured I should probably get a head start on any potential issues and ask the experts for a way around it just in case hahaha
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 16:23
Quote: "ask the experts for a way around it just in case hahaha"

I think they left the forum some time ago.

Powered by Free Banners
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 17:00
But you're still here, Green Gandalf!

It's been a shame reading about how DBPro is kinda being killed off as such. I hope this open-source movement takes off. I'll be honest, I haven't had the time to keep up with where it's all going.

Even though I was a part of initial testing on the AppGameKit I've only recently started dabbling with it and I do enjoy it a great deal, but nothing quite beats DBPro for me. I guess I'm just a fan-boy. There's a lot of things I'd like to see added, but hopefully it'll get there if this does get handed back to the community at large and not just die in the shadows somewhere after all the great things it's done... And it HAS done great things!

I was around back when it really took off. I'd hate to be here to see it fall
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 17:50
Good to see you overcame the limitations. Scripting is definately a good for DBP. PhysX APIs and similar plugins also helps reduce length of code and number of CPU recursions. I am using more than one EXE to help reduce limits on RAM and CPU usage, since not every function has to run in the same program.

Anothing thing, please, if you have not done so already, spare a moment to check out the DirectX 11 plugin being developed if you find some time; this plugin is quite an exciting prospect and needs some support to motivate and facilitate its development. It should become a great way to provide more detailed video options for your players and any future concepts you have in mind.

Good day, keep doing your thing.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 18:07
Quote: "It's been a shame reading about how DBPro is kinda being killed off as such. I hope this open-source movement takes off. I'll be honest, I haven't had the time to keep up with where it's all going."

Yes, I get the distinct impression it's being deliberately killed off despite the flag waving suggesting the contrary. I'm struggling to get up to speed with the open source version too. No idea what a total newcomer wold be expected to do with it.

Fortunately the pre open source versions are still available - but only if you know where to look. It all looks like a clumsy change of direction by TGC to me - and a rather disheartening one at that.

Powered by Free Banners
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 18:17
Quote: "Anothing thing, please, if you have not done so already, spare a moment to check out the DirectX 11 plugin being developed if you find some time; this plugin is quite an exciting prospect and needs some support to motivate and facilitate its development. It should become a great way to provide more detailed video options for your players and any future concepts you have in mind."

Seconded.

I looked at that Plugin some time back and was impressed. A quick glance just now suggests another, more detailed, look is called for.

Powered by Free Banners
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 20:54
Quote: "
Yes, I get the distinct impression it's being deliberately killed off despite the flag waving suggesting the contrary. I'm struggling to get up to speed with the open source version too. No idea what a total newcomer wold be expected to do with it.

Fortunately the pre open source versions are still available - but only if you know where to look. It all looks like a clumsy change of direction by TGC to me - and a rather disheartening one at that."

Off topic but here here! Also glad to see you posting once more; would you enlighten me as to how to look and where please so I can make a note of it ?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 23:09
Quote: "would you enlighten me as to how to look and where please so I can make a note of it ?"

The various upgrades are still available via IanM's DBPro release details sticky on the Bug Reports board. The second post on that thread contains all the links - but they are all wrong. For example, the link Patch2 directs you to the non-existent page

http://files2.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_2.zip

whereas the correct page is

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_2.zip

As far as I can see just change the reference to "files2" to "files" in each link and everything works fine. I don't recall which thread here told me what to do but it was a fairly recent one.

Offtopic again, but have you got the open source version working? I haven't got a clue where to begin. I've downloaded a massive ZIP file containing loads of Visual Studio C++ projects and am baffled.