Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / slither.io

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2016 17:58 Edited at: 13th Apr 2016 18:08
http://slither.io/

So this came out recently. From what I know, it is a successor to agar.io (which you should also definitely check out if you haven't heard of it yet). It's really quite fun to play once you get used to the lag.

Controls:
+ move mouse to steer
+ press mouse to boost

When you boost you lose length. Also, unlike traditional snake, you can actually drive over yourself, which leads to some cool tactics like this:

My highest score so far was 41k. Also here's a video:

"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2016 23:19 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2016 23:30
Reminds me of Snafu on the atari. Looks fun.

Grr, the slow reaction to the controls is annoying.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2016 06:14
It's a lot of fun, you almost have to play with a mouse though. Your finger gets in the way too much on the app, and having to double tap to boost isn't fast enough sometimes
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2016 17:26
I took the time to write everything I know about slither.io, including what it potentially says about how you live life.

It was the only way I could break my habit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2016 19:05 Edited at: 1st May 2016 19:08
I'm obsessed with it! That was a fun article on your blog, BatVink. The lag gets pretty bad at times where you go into absolute chaos until it syncs back up. But the PC version is a lot of fun and just so satisfying to be a little guy and take down Goliath. I played it for three hours straight until the wee hours of morning the last few days.

I do wish there were optional sound effects, just subtle chimes when you collect an orb that could increase in volume when gathering large amounts. Right now I end up blasting random video game soundtracks when playing it. The PC version could also benefit from a little shine by hiding the default cursor and replacing it with a similarly themed sprite to indicate its position on screen and blend better with the other elements. I theorized the alternative of just locking the cursor in place and hiding it entirely then tracking simple x/y movement parameters to adjust the snake, but that may be more disorientating when I think about. One of my biggest issues is I have dual monitor setup, and if I move my mouse even slightly off the monitor it is being played on I have no control of the snake and sometimes it is too late to correct once I realize.

The orb collecting visuals remind me of an extremely short-lived online game from 2006 called Harmotion. That was a multiplayer space shooter where you'd move around collecting orbs to strengthen your ship and would randomly be pitted against others in a battle. It was never popular to any capacity but me and a friend had a blast playing it. As soon as the developer stopped and the server went down it became unlaunchable, like a few other old obscure titles I recall.

My first experience playing a snake game of this style where you curve in circles was Pizza Worm for DOS, and I played that forever even if there wasn't much to it.

Edit: The iOS version of this game is HORRENDOUS. By that, I mean it seems every single round I play I then get plastered with an interstitial video ad. So I only played that version a couple times. The controls are much more difficult as well, whereby you must tap frantically to accelerate. This would be a good implementation use of the 3D Touch capabilities in the newest iOS devices.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 02:37
The behaviors that emerge make me think strongly of fish. The small scavenging feeders, the hungry swarms when blood hits the water. The quick reflexive changes of direction in a world that is never still. Is fascinating.

That said, BatVinks comments seem very defensive focused. I agree it is pointless to speed around to get food, but speed is just as much a tool to attack and kill as it is to escape. Particularly in the lower side of mid sized.

I'm not sure but it feels as if speed is slower to activate the larger you get, which adds some interesting dynamics.

Regardless, the first thing I do as a new snake is head to the center and stalk the larger snakes. Go for a kill or scavenge a kill nearby and you will quickly get to around 50 on the leader board, at this point head back out towards the edge, where it is less dense, you are bigger now, you need more room to move.

Now is the time to stay patient, you don't need to take as many risks on dart attacks. Stuff will die around you and you've got the length to circle and claim large portions of dead energy. Youve got weight to force collisions between others around you.

Coiling is risky, if the trapped snake keeps calm, the coiler ends up dying as often as its potential victim from what I've seen.

Overall I start out very aggressive actively hunting the biggest snakes I can find, I get more defensive the larger I get.

My average board position most sessions is about 15, Ive been in the top 10 half a dozen times or so and number 1 once
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2016 23:52
That looks so fun! Will definitely try tonight
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2016 05:24 Edited at: 3rd May 2016 05:24
Hit 1 again tonight total length at death was around 28k

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 17:36
Highest I think I've managed was 44k. Highest I've seen in a game was near 90k!

I tried playing the iOS version, freaking impossible! The lag is horrendous. I found there is a browser plugin that gives you the ability to zoom in and out.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2016 03:05
I didn't like Agar, found it too basic and unfinished. Slither was fun and addicting, despite the annoying lag issues. Not sure if you guys have seen this one yet but it's pretty fun.

http://diep.io/

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2016 10:39
You can get a mod that lets you join a party (play with friends), zoom in and out, and does away with most of the lag - makes the game far more playable for me. It also unlocks the skins so you don't have to mess with facebook.

My top score is around 18,000 - my brother has 55,000 - but that's using the mod which makes things a little easier.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2016 16:46
There's also this here:

http://wings.io/
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
GogetaX
Years of Service
User Offline
i personally like the new one.. Tanks.. or diep.io

so easy there to get the rank 1 for me.. )
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 08:45 Edited at: 11th Jun 2016 08:46
Finally broke through 30K, peaked at 38K.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 06:30
Damn you all to heck, there goes my productivity!

Just...one...more...game...
JigSpace
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2016 02:32
I had a really good run on diep.io. I died shortly after taking this screenshot (attached).

Attachments

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2016 09:57
I haven't been able to play diep.io for the last few days. It flashes up "Loading", then goes to a grey screen and hangs. Anyone else getting the same?

...still, it means I can carry on with my game development now! Haha.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 20:56
I just tried it, working fine

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:35:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:35:35