Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Current state of DBP with Matrix1Utils?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2016 04:35 Edited at: 9th May 2016 04:40
Sorry, I'm still trying to grasp the current state of DBP... what works and what must be abandoned.

I tried both of the plugins Matrix1Utils and Multisync today and they were recognised as valid syntax in the editor but wouldn't compile. I'm assuming this is because of the "stripped down" state of DBP at the moment.

Does anyone know what I need to (or if I can) install...patches, etc.. to get a plugin-friendly version going once again? I looked in the repository but I didn't see anything related to either plugin.

Will using Windows XP be an issue for the current version of DBP?
Are users now relying on each other for older version installers?

I feel rather out of the loop, so to speak.. LOL
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2016 03:15
Quote: "Are users now relying on each other for older version installers?
"

Installing the latest upgrade over the open source version should be viable - you will have to try it - probably have to guide it to the right install path.

Quote: "Will using Windows XP be an issue for the current version of DBP?"

I have no idea with regards to the open source version, I don't see why not though.

With regards to your other queries I have just made a post on this thread that may be of some help
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2016 04:26
Thanks James! I'm there!
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2016 12:49 Edited at: 10th May 2016 12:50
If anyone has experience with Matrix1Utils Networking commands I am getting an undisclosed syntax error for commands such as:

NEW ACCEPT SOCKET
NEW CONNECT SOCKET
NEW LISTEN SOCKET
NEW TCP SOCKET
NEW UDP SOCKET

However, other commands like PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR INTERFACES seem to work fine!

Any tips?
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2016 14:43
Rather than double post on Hakim's thread I will post this here as I just thought of this now - make sure the M1U files are all unblocked. It's annoying as hell to do them individually so you can add an option to the "right click" menu of windows to unblock all contents of a folder or just one file without accessing dialogue for file/folder properties. I haven't tested this on anything other than windows 10 but you need to save the code in the snippet into a text file then rename the file "unblock.reg"(make sure the file extensions are not hidden otherwise you can't change it from .txt to .reg extension). Move the file to System32 folder of windows installation path and simply double click the file to activate it. Now you have an extra option near the top of the right click menu and the ability to unblock multiple files at once. Very useful, at least I think so!

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 01:55

Hey that's neat! It showed up in my right-click menu just like you said... unfortunately our princess is another castle because the M1U socket commands still won't compile. I get the feeling someone doesn't want DBP to work the way it used to!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 02:07
Just a crazy thought, could you show the syntax of how you're using one of the functions above in code.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 02:25

I was thinking the same thing earlier.. maybe I hadn't tried all the commands with proper syntax...

UPDATE..i think i got a socket going:

more updates to come!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 02:42
Personally, I have never use Matrix1Utils for anything. So I can't tell you if the socket functions work or are bugged. After installing Matrix1Utils, all the examples in the tutorial compile without syntax errors.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 02:44
Quote: "unfortunately our princess is another castle"

Lol, also you might not need the file to be in that location or anywhere in particular, I forget, might just need launching from there or maybe not even that, I intended to log it as a snippet but left it in there by accident, wondered why I couldn't find it at first.

Quote: "I get the feeling someone doesn't want DBP to work the way it used to!"

You know I initially got the distinct feeling they went and screwed with it on purpose to wreck our heads, now I have decided they simply don't care much and just want to put it to rest.

Quote: "Just a crazy thought"
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 03:06
Ok, I'm going to study more closely the tutorial Hakimfullmetal linked on the other thread... it looks like example 3 might be working. I'll move all this Multiplayer talk over there too since Matrix1Utils seems to be ok!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2016 03:06 Edited at: 11th May 2016 03:08
It has actually been put to rest since they open sourced it on Google Code in 2010. As someone who has attempted to compile the current open source, it is a mess. Missing files, improper file references and a shitload of compiler errors. It is unfortunate to say, but I really don't think anyone is going to want to work with this mess. DarkBasic Professional is officially dead.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 11th May 2016 09:48
There is no activity on GitHub also during last couple of months
https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/Dark-Basic-Pro/issues/3

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:50:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:50:54