Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Best way to distribute AGK2 games for Linux?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2016 05:37 Edited at: 25th May 2016 05:38
What is the best way to distribute AGK2 (Tier 1) games for Linux?

I have tried creating a DEB file that depends on libopenal1, libavcodec54, libavformat54, and libcurl3 and it works on Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint 17.3, but not on Ubuntu 16 or SteamOS due to missing libraries.

Is a DEB the preferred method of distribution? Or is a shell install script better?
Is it possible (technically and legally) to distribute the shared libraries with either installer?
What distros are the best to support?

Linux is a fairly new realm to me. I have a bare scraping of knowledge on it.

Thanks in advance!
Kakise
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2016 17:42
Try to load standalone librairies using ld.

Something like:
"LD_PRELOAD="/path/to/libs/folders" ./nameOfTheProgram"

If you're using a .deb (*wink smiley*), try to extract the libs + games files somewhere in /usr/share/games and use this path with an sh launch script. Don't forget to make everything readable and executable in the postinst script to make sure there will be no error.

If you want to get the libs, decompress the corresponding deb packages using an archive manager. Try to avoid using this method as much as you can as it can really make the package heavier.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2016 18:39
For now I'm sticking with the deb package and just saying that it works on Ubuntu 14.04 and possibly others.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:11:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:11:49