Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Looking for a physics add on

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Been using DPB for some time now, however I found it doesn't have many features for collision and physics stuff. I need to know if there's a decent physics/collision add on for it and how to patch it.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 12:25

Dark Dynamix & Dark Imposters now FREE!
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Fire-Flower
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks; I downloaded them and put the DLL and configurations files into the DBP directories. I tried testing out Dynamix but when I put in DYN START the game won't run.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 18:32
You have to put the files from the Bin folder in the same location as your project file/.exe

There is also Newton physics plugin stickied at the top of the Program Announcements board
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 19:00
You also need to install the NVIDIA PhysX Drivers.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.13.1220-driver.html
Fire-Flower
Years of Service
User Offline
I installed NVIDIA PhysX, got the newton addon and put the files in the same directory as my exe program. The game runs but immediately crashes.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 21:46
I was in error. DarkDynamix does not require the NVIDIA Drivers. What DBPro version are you using?
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 22:17
As you have stated in the middle of a sentence while talking about DarkDynamix that you now have the Newton add-on, I want to clarify that the Newton Physics add on is not part of DarkDynamix but is an alternative physics add-on - just in case there was any misunderstanding.

Leading on from what WickedX just asked I believe you need to install DBP Upgrade 7.62 - possibly the only upgrade that DarkDynamix works with.

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 23:33 Edited at: 29th May 2016 23:42
I believe that version is for an activation issue. I'm using DBPro version 7.4 with Matty's free version of DarkDymanix and it is working perfectly. I was referring to DBPro open source version. That could also explain Newton not working.

If not, it could be you placed the dll's in the wrong folder. They should be in your plugins-user folder.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 00:23 Edited at: 30th May 2016 00:24
That is good to know thanks, I will be trying it with 7.7rc7 at some point. While I am at it I will see if the open source version works with it hopefully tomorrow. Only reason I thought it was just 7.62 was after a forum search I read that this is what was needed in MrValentines message here. I apologise for any confusion I have caused regarding this.

However, I know for certain Newton works with the open source version as I have used it many times now though I haven't explored every avenue to ensure there are no unexpected issues - if Fire-Flower is having issues with this it is possible he/she did not put the Newton.dll in the same location as the executable folder as well as the NDB.dll and keywords files in there correct location within the DBP installed folder, that said there is a readme.txt with full instructions for Newton that is included.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 03:39
At one time I was running multiple DBPro versions. But, to save disk space I kept only version 7.4. Being it is the most stable version and only version I really used. I am however very interested in your findings.
Fire-Flower
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using the open source version, and I've manged to get Newton up and running! Thanks guy, I think I'll be using Newton for now.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 17:22
Yeah I used to have many versions, some based on purchased, some from old free version, different updates for each and some where duplicates with various plugins installed, then theres the dx10 version and now open source - the size on disk soon builds up but this was on an old machine thats gonna cost more to repair than getting a cheap machine which is exactly what I have done. These days I just have what I need, so only a few versions but if I test for reasons such as this thread I still keep them installed as this is a new machine(new to me - its an old model), so disk space isn't an issue, for now lol. Anyway I have just tested with open source version (no upgrades as then it would no longer be the open source version - I have yet to test if overwriting open source with upgrades throws up any issues but probably won't test any time soon), as you suspected it does not play nice at all, some demo's work but many do not, at least one worked but threw errors before resuming and still appeared to work regardless, but if just one crashes then the whole thing is pointless to me which is the case. U7.7RC7 seems to work just fine. The open source version is U7.1, if I get chance later I may test the purchased version with U7.1 and DD to see if that is possibly part of the reason, although knowing that won't change things - but hey I do get curious a fair bit!.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 18:46 Edited at: 30th May 2016 18:48
My main system is a HP netbook running Windows 7 hooked to an external monitor and keyboard. This has a 160gb ssd. Now I have DBPro running on a 3tb external drive. So, there is plenty room there. I just really don't see the need to have versions I'm not using. This is my, if it works on this system it will work on any system machine.

My second system is an Asus Transformer (notebook/tablet) running Windows 8.1. It only has an 32gb ssd with DBPro running on a 16gb micro sd. This thing is amazing. It has a quad core processor. My HP only has a single dual threaded processor. The HP, though it says it has DirectX 11, crashes when trying to run DirectX 11 apps. The Asus runs my DirectX 11 apps great and pretty fast too. This is like the best system I've ever had. It amazes me how far computers have come, considering my first system was a Commodore Vic20.
cryofpain
Years of Service
User Offline
I spent 10 years programming in dark basic, programming physics for limbed objects, now I can't even get a working copy of dark basic pro, physics is all angles and vertices upon collision a child could work it out, may you be cursed for eternity...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:33:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:33:39