Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ahh, the wonders of Comcast

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2016 03:08 Edited at: 25th Jun 2016 03:09
Hmm, a fun rant post anyone? I recently moved from a rural area to the middle of a rather dense city in Colorado. Up in the rural area, we paid about 50 dollars a month for extremely reliable, consistently fast 10 Mbps internet. Sure, there was the occasional time where it cut out or speed was down to 5 Mbps or so, but it was pretty solid overall. Now where I live in the city (an apartment no less), Comcast is pretty much the only option other than satellite (which I am looking into). We are currently paying about 100 dollars a month for a 20 Mbps connection. This is what we're getting right now:

That's a tad low for normal, which is around 2 Mbps. Not only is the speed a small fraction of what we're paying for, it quite occasionally just cuts out. Completely. Gone. About 10 times a day, it just completely cuts out and remains totally dead for a good minute or so, then returns to its painfully slow normal state. I've tried resetting the router, restarting my computer, everything! Pft. It's Comcast's fault all the way. No surprise, as there's no shortage of overpaying Comcast customers who endure this crap every day.

I would just call them, but I hear that's usually a completely futile effort. I'm told the previous tenant spent hours on the phone with them complaining about the exact same issue, all to no avail. Company completely lacking care and totally unwilling to help. What a disgusting company.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to some sort of satellite internet deal. Anyone else here have any ISP horror stories? Or just various companies treating customers like dirt?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2016 07:16 Edited at: 25th Jun 2016 07:38
My internet speed is 100Mbps. Most of the time it runs at 106 Mbps. No matter how much I complain they won't reduce that extra 6 Mbps. Now they have threatened to upgrade the network to 150 Mbps in July, at no extra cost. No doubt it will be more than the advertised speed again.

Terrible service, throwing extra Mbps at me every second of every day. No doubt they have too many Mbps and think they can offload them onto customers instead of paying to dispose of them ethically. They should send them to third world countries, or send them to Comcast customers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2016 08:39
Quote: "Terrible service, throwing extra Mbps at me every second of every day."
Ahh! Those pillocks! I thought I had it bad, but I didn't know that some ISPs were ballsy enough to give their customers *gulp* extra bandwidth. Lol This happened quite occasionally at my previous location too, it would often give me 11 or 12 when we were paying for 10. I wish I had downloaded some of those Mbps to my HDD to save them up!

Quote: "send them to Comcast customers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:30:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:30:47