Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone here own a 3-series bmw?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 02:21
I just bought one today. It's a 325i, which I was concerned about it being under powered until I drove it. For only 215hp it was plenty peppy. I mean, I don't need a rocket I have my 500+ beast (which I'm sick of driving to work every day) A lot of consumer reviews said to go for the 330 for the power, but then I read reliability issues with high flow fuel pumps the 325 doesn't have. I pick up the car tomorrow.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 12:07
I thought you were going to tell us that they left the lights on.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 01:18
Huh?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 06:37
Quote: "I thought you were going to tell us that they left the lights on."
ooooh. Haha. I get it now. Working in retail helps.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 14:49
Quote: "Huh?"

"Bing Bong. This is a customer announcement. We would like to notify the owner of the 3-series BMW in the car park that they have left their lights on"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 17:44
Had the car for one week and a window regulator broke already. Apparently a common issue on BMWs. Why they don't use a scissor jack type of regulator instead of this pulley system with wires I don't know.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 09:08
Used to have an M3. Was reliable as hell. Took it to ex-BMW garage and fixes were half price. Was amazed how little needed doing to it, compared to my old Scooby.

Friend had a 330, and it just wasn't great reliability wise. Constantly in the garage, but then mainly because he had the semi automatic gearbox thingy. Other interesting thing is he was all over the place in the wet when powering around a corner, while I was rapidly getting away with no worries. I don't know much about cars, but he explained something or other was better in mine, which also made it a lot more stable on icy roads. Which turned out to be hair-raisingly true for him.

Ah, great car...

Cheers
Current fave quote : Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2016 12:54
I would love an M3. I wonder if you had some kind of positrac system that helped more in the ice? So far I'm actually happy with the traction system in mine. It's not overly aggressive like some systems (*ahem* jag). What year was yours?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2016 07:58
No, I think he said it was because the M3 had limited slip differential. Not sure what that is, but my M3 was definitely loads better in the wet and snow than his 330. Not that it was great mind, but just a lot better than the 330.

Mine was a 2005 model. Bought it in 2008, and couldn't have been happier. That machine gun type sound when you accellerate hard, is pretty cool. Massively powerful (4.9 0-60mph), but could be used as an everyday runaround. My wife has a Lotus Elise, so it was nice to have something fast, but not feel like you were inside a tin can at times. Plus heated seats rock

Cheers
Current fave quote : Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2016 22:25
Quote: "I think he said it was because the M3 had limited slip differential"

posi-trac, whatever same thing. Different manufactures called it different crap back in the day. Sure-Grip if it's a mopar, I guess posi was a GM thing. But they were all some type of LSD system.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:35:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:35:04