Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Disassembling Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 07:37
Hi Gamers!

It has been a long time since I've been on here last. My last project was done for college called Blast 'Em. I have not stopped developing but have moved on to Atari consoles and computers. With that being said I no longer have the source code to my game and was wondering if there was a way to disassemble my DarkBASIC Pro compiled game where I can make some corrections to the code? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
as far as i know, there is no method to retrive the actual sourcecode. i don't think darkbasic pro puts the sourcecode inside the exe and i could't find any dbpro decompiler
i found a similar thread (well the question there is the complete opposite and its from 2011): https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/182372

Benjamin wrote: "If someone were willing to waste many months of their life writing a decompiler, it's technically possible. But who's going to do it? And why?"

so i guess your best chance is to write a new project from scratch. you can try to disassemble the exe to assemby code, but i don't know if that's gonna help you

a teacher of mine wrote: "data, without any backups, isn't important data"

good luck
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 09:11
DBPro has its own way of working - although it would be conceivable to decompile, all variable names etc would be stripped out - working with the source code from that would be like typing with your elbows... soul destroying stuff. Thing is, we shouldn't really want it any other way... I don't want people to be ripping code from my crusty old projects!

Quote: "a teacher of mine wrote: "data, without any backups, isn't important data""

Agreed... if data only exists in one place, then it isn't really data at all.
The code is dark and full of errors
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 15:37

Showing my age again, but the guy who the Dbpro GL wrapper (Dx9 replacement stuff) also wrote a Dbpro decompiler of sorts, way back around the mid 2000’s.. From memory it just passed the code ‘hunk’ into a command line dissassembler, then parsed the output. That stuff might still be on the boards, but I doubt it..

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
Kevin Picone wrote: "the guy who the Dbpro GL wrapper"

do you mean this? https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/13851

well i couldn't find any post about a dissassembler, the website in his signature is also down, but maybe someone is able to dig around more? as you can see by my join date, i'm not so familiar with this forum and the things posted here.
I'm at work right now, so no digging for me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:37:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:37:11