Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Track web traffic outside of browser?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 21:37
Anyone know of an easy program to track web history outside of a browser? Since a user could easily erase their history or use a chrome's incognito mode, I need another way of verifying a laptop is being used only for work without having to rely on blocking sites with a firewall.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2016 00:31
There is Wireshark, but that is a more active catch it as it happens type tool

http://serverfault.com/questions/96272/how-to-filter-http-traffic-in-wireshark

Some routers will keep a log of traffic depending on the model and whether you have access to it.

You can also go the firewall route but instead of applying block rules you can apply a catch all that simply logs instead of blocking

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2016 02:48
I've used that before for debugging purposes, but I need something that can sit in the background silently.

Quote: "You can also go the firewall route but instead of applying block rules you can apply a catch all that simply logs instead of blocking"

Ooo, so simple I didn't even think about that.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:14:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:14:54