Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / "Planar: Build & Survive" NEW crafting and exploration game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: "Planar: Build & Survive" for Android
Posted: 22nd Aug 2016 06:15 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2016 21:34
Hello! This is my first post.
I've just released my new game for Android devices called "Planar: Build & Survive" at the end of July made with AGK2.
I would compare the style to a 2d Minecraft.
One of the main concepts that I wanted to incorporate into Planar was that the animal population is limited, and will go extinct if over hunted.
They don't just infinitely respawn like a lot of other games.
There must be at least 2 of an animal type for the population to grow!
Populations can be monitored in the population menu.
Tons of craftable items and building possibilities!

In the next update (which should be in about 1 month, I've been very busy with work) I plan on adding a weather system, night and day, missions, farming, more skills, more items, and a huge amount of other new content.

A quad-core device is required, and I'm always working on performance improvements.
If anyone would like to check it out and report and bugs here or feature request and whatever else here is the
Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.denboh.planar&hl=en
Hope everyone has fun with it and I look forward to hearing from players .

Planar is $1, but below i will provide 25 promo codes to get it for free. If they're all used up by the time someone reads this then just ask me for more .

0U1TC1HZARNUHGS3R6F0SDZ

S2DU2HQD3NU73J7H93XM56A

NS417R0BZ0GG62Q8Z91S8N9

JZ97VQLLBKJX7ZMD3FY1N0A

L4ZZFWGUARHSD39LWLZZ5M4

M1YCSPKXVR9SKGEF2KW146Y

WEJTTX5NQAG9FENJUMXRF7X

AS7A48NYUWBLTSAGHQCPJ43

YQ3ZDUFNTSG1PKJ1VJ40SRX

FYA8YQZTQ12MX2X8KLJTCH8

B7P8FLMJP1Y02YQQMUEH444

6JF9VF7HK92926PWGEEC4H9

AP3E8FHUX6QXH3DNPBKPHCY

MBVP6MBG090SJ0PSRZVGZ6F

7EF9J4E5PRW8T1G7J8KHWDK

1Y062VY88H7YQWPWMUR26R3

MRDSS563CVH4UEVLKRD0RH3

N9B225DTY98S7UA083B3CEY

K6YSN29DU4K4SV1WTHM3TR4

015HRYSHXNNGS70SYD7WR0B

M504QBBYBXX6JL92M31X5EA

8E6GD7W5W0V2TYVKN341S3B

0J1QDZZT4HKDUDR77MQA4W7

Z7WMLP7C5PGU8YPW12322GP

DS58UCSGMAGR6RB3SSJQS69

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 08:36
Congratulations on your first AppGameKit release!

Your game sounds very interesting and a lot like a project I am getting started. (space exploration/mining/building/battling)

I have been having connection problems lately, but I will give this try when I can get it downloaded.

Welcome to the AppGameKit community,

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 15:35
Thank you!
Oh okay, that's pretty cool! I'd be interested in seeing the progress of your project when you get started on it.
Alright! Let me know what you think. I've been working on speed improvements for my game lately.
Thanks

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 19:25
Hey DenBoh! What an ambitious project! And because of that it definitely shows. I'm not saying that in a bad way, but there is allot of room for improvement and I'd really like to see this game grow and become something truly fun and amazing.

Some things I've run into so far that I think should be on your top priority list are...
1 - The extremely slow load times. You could develop a system to load certain aspects of the game on the fly, when needed and not all at once.
2 - Controls are not good, but it's not really your fault. Instead of the joystick, I'd switch to a D-pad. I feel like you'd get way more control with a D-pad rather than the clunky joystick, which makes it very hard to give you any type of precision selection.
3 - Graphics! Definitely need to invest or find an artist ( email me! ) to work with you and create some new kick butt graphics. Especially new GUI and animated character and creatures.
4 - I don't understand the animal spawning.. They literally fall from the sky every 10-15 seconds and than run off to the right side of the screen before disappearing.

Now for some good things, I swear I'm not dissing on the game!
1 - You have an amazing game base created! Don't throw this out, just keep building and tweaking the game from here, and it won't go anywhere but up!
2 - I like the leveling system, which causes you to be able to dig and mine faster. Such a good system, that I wish was in Minecraft.
3 - I really like that animals can be hunted to extinction. Very cool and another feature that I wish Minecraft had.

Keep up the good work. Keep working on it and you'll have an amazing game on your hands, that isn't a completly 100% Minecraft/Terraria rip-off clone that the app store is currently drowning in...blah!

Lastly, send me an email, I can help you upgrade some of those graphics.
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2016 20:55
Thank you for the feedback! I haven't had a whole lot of that yet.

1- I definitely want to work on the load times. I split the world into 5 chunks to improve FPS, only the chunk that the player is currently on is loaded during gameplay. I could probably do something similar during the loading sequence to speed that up.

2- I like the D-pad idea, do you think just a regular 4 direction D-pad?

3- I'd like to stick with the blocky animal theme, but I definitely agree they need some work and polishing.

4- The falling from the sky spawning is a bug I'm currently working on. That isn't suppose to be visible. The spawning is suppose to be random, and only 1 animal on the screen at a time for sake of FPS. So the random movement of the animals needs some fine tuning?

1- Thank you! I'm glad the base is good, I put a lot of work into the concept on paper before I even started on the coding.

2- alright, great! Glad the leveling idea was pretty solid. I thought that provided a little reward and incentive to keep digging. I plan on added more skills later.

3- thank you, that was the idea that I really wanna to focus on. A population of animals that sort of have a living feel to them.

Thank you for the feedback and keep it coming! I think I'll work on all this before I start any of the mentioned updates. And thank you again, I like this genre but I do see too many minecraft clones. I wanted something different. I will definitely send you an email soon to talk about that. I am in the process of moving into our new house so it might be a week before I can get Planar moving again.
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2016 19:54

I took a break from bug fixing today to have a little fun playing my game. I built this home on the side of a small mountain that's overlooking a small lake. I added a boat dock and boat also! If anyone else has built anything, I'd love to see screenshots ! Now, back to fixing a few things with the game.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2016 21:13
using code 8E6GD7W5W0V2TYVKN341S3B
- would be nice to get a quick select bar for items, just 4 items would be fine maybe, or move the stuff that can be created / you do have to the top of the list, right now it seems quite long to get to what you are looking for (the tools especially for when i was starting)
- names on items would be nice too, it's quite difficult to see what things are on a small screen.
- the joystick feels fine to me but can also see that it would work fine on a d-pad so either is fine imo, i like that you can mine blocks without needing to move too much, it's a good balance on that front i feel.
- the tutorial was good and a nice bonus i wasn't expecting... the end part did say to equip a spade for faster digging but we don't get one at the start (right?) and maybe could be extended with how to gather and craft one.
life\'s one big game
spec= 2.6ghz, 1gb ram, 512mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2016 23:46
Okay, that's a great idea. I was concerned about that being an issue, there's almost 40 inventory items so a select bar would be awesome.
Names are a nice idea too.
So maybe have an option to choose between joystick or D-Pad?
Glad you thought the tutorial was good! I realized some aspects of the game weren't obvious, so I added the tutorial. Maybe I'll give the player a shovel/spade at the start of the game.
Also I'm aware of an occasional glitch with the Y position of the player, I am gonna try to fix that issue tonight and also add some of the features everyone has requested .
I'll keep everyone updated!
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 22:29
Not sure if its the same one you're talking about but I noticed after I died I can no longer get out if I have dug underground, he won't move up to the next block.
life\'s one big game
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 22:50
Yes that is one of the bugs I was referring to. I will try to fix it tonight! The current fix is to dig all the way to the bottom and the Y position will then be correct. I will release a quick update tonight to correct the issue.
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2016 18:05 Edited at: 27th Aug 2016 19:18
I just released an update this morning to Google Play
This was a quick update to fix the above mentioned issue of getting stuck inside blocks occasionally.

So that's fixed!
While I was at it I added in a few other things:
- an Autosave feature, so the game gets saved automatically every minute or so (unknown to the player, all done in the background).
- The random animal movement is a little improved. Instead of what seemed like one directional movement now changes more frequently. Just lowered the amount of time before a change of direction (or stop) occurs.

Currently in the works are a lot of requested features such as a select bar for quick access to commonly used inventory items, missions/goals, and button labeling for the not-so-obvious buttons. I hope to roll out everything in a new update by the end of next week or shortly after.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2016 22:41 Edited at: 29th Aug 2016 22:43
yep, height is working correctly now.
the animals are better now too though the collision seems weird with it being on the back of the sprite rather than the centre (the mammoth especially)
also if you walk past a mammoth you will be behind it but your spade is in front of it, would be better to keep the character sprite in front too.

not sure how i did it but i got a bug with the textures being black for digging and attacking - when the ground turned black it didn't get removed when i finally finished digging it (it was a lot stronger than it should have been as it was only dirt) but rather it simply respawned (normal texture now) and i had to dig it again (it was still super tough but didn't go black this time and removed correctly)...
this also happened for 1 mammoth (turned black at about 50% HP) but he did die correctly
p.s. by black i mean pitch black - not the fading that is normal.
it fixed itself after the mammoth died so maybe it was related to attacking an animal and then trying to mine?

also there's a timing issue with mining multiple blocks at once, i.e. if you start mining a block, swap blocks a few times (without completely digging any) and most times a block will just disappear/get mined even if it's the first time hitting it... neat little trick to mine harder blocks fast but obviously not intended
this might actually be related to the issue above, perhaps the block was given the hp of the mammoth?

you can currently place multiple blocks in the same spot and it will still remove them from the inventory - you should only be able to place stuff in an empty space, not sure if this is a bug or just not a feature yet

after playing some more i noticed what people were saying about the controls, it's hard to control the tool and not move the character sometimes (or vice versa), perhaps change the controls so that the tool moves on a tap of a direction (i.e. if the joystick is released quickly after being pressed) and then only move the player if the joystick is held in a direction... this is most noticeable when trying to fight and skirmish.

can we get the ability to jump? (just 1 block gap would be fine i think.
or ladders? or both?
it's quite easy to get stuck once you start mining.
also doors would be a nice update?
life\'s one big game
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2016 23:14
I've noticed the collision part you mentioned, I felt I had to set it at the back of the animal and player to ensure they were fully passed a block before moving down a space. That was one of the most tricky parts to really optimize.

I was sorta aware of the black block issue. If you stop miming a block halfway through the black-ness will remain but the life of the block will return to normal. I forgot to reset the black fade of the block to normal if you stop mining before its gone. I wasn't aware the issue was happening with animals too! The animals aren't even suppose to be fading black. I'll have to check that out tonight.

I do have it setup in the game that you can place blocks over wall blocks (the "background" blocks that you can walk past/over ) but can you still place on top of the solid types?

Okay, I'll move the D-Pad towarda the top of my to-do list.

Yes I did have a ladder planned!
I can do doors to if you think that would be a nice addition?

Also, do you think it would be useful for me to post a list of planned updates on here?

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback!
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2016 20:32
A quick update on the progress of the next update.
I've been building a to-do list of requested features, I've been sick the last few days but here's what I've done so far (I'll attach screenshots of some of the changes).

1. Controls for the player movement and block selection have been separated. The player is still controlled by the joystick, but the block highlighter/selection is controlled by an up arrow and down arrow on the right side of the screen.

2. A "quick select" bar has been added at the top right of the screen for quick access to common inventory items without going all the way into the inventory. Common items are divided into 3 categories. The "meat button" has also been moved to the quick select bar and a "health restored" notification has been added in when meat is used.

3. Ladders! Ladder blocks can now be crafted and placed in the world. Move up and down ladders with the joystick. This makes getting out of holes much easier, as well as other things.

4. Free items. The Facebook "like" button in the menu has now been changed to "free items". Login into Planar on Facebook with this button and you will be awarded a random set of items and blocks. You can do this every 15 minutes for free blocks and tools.

There has also been numerous small changes and fixes but the ones listed above are the major ones so far. Still have a dozen or so things to finish, including a inventory guide explaining the rarity and strength of items, so it will be at least a week before I can publish the new update to Google Play. Just wanted to keep everyone updated on the progress so far

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DenBoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 16:02 Edited at: 8th Sep 2016 16:05
I just uploaded a new update to Google Play last night with a lot of requested features!
Here is the changelog:

Changes:
- "Quick Select" bar for easy access to items.
- Seperate control system for block selection.
- Laddler blocks. Move up and down ladders with the joystick.
- Achievements! Complete these to get free items.
- "Highest level" leaderboard.
- Get even more free items by logging into Facebook in the menu.

Fixed:
- Image depth issues.
- Numerous GUI changes and improvements.
- Improved skill leveling system.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:50:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:50:44