Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPScreator entity issues. Not showing models/small squares.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 05:19 Edited at: 8th Sep 2016 18:10
Whenever I go into the entities tab after opening FPScreator, I get the entity thumbnail instead of the model, and I get a small little square when I try placing them in the world. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but I'm a bit desperate with having a college assignment of making our own levels.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tnomic
Years of Service
User Offline
I have found I have the same type of issue with segment pieces.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2016 02:57
Tnomic
Looking at your screen shot it appears your using V1.0? Am I correct in assuming that?
If you haven't, you really need to upgrade to a newer Versions like V1.20 or something
a little earlier....https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/FPS-Creator-Classic
https://www.thegamecreators.com/product/2001/page/archive/Files

As for your missing "thumbnail" picture problem, this appears to be clearly a problem
of a missing Thumbnail picture, or the .fpe file not pointing to a thumbnail pic? or both?
Every entity/segment needs 4 things to display properly and/or be usable in fpsc.
1- a bitmap pic 64x64px of the entity

2- an .fpe file (open a .fpe file for any simple entity under the "entitybank" folder and study it closely. It is basically a description
of the entity, what is does/can't do, and a path to it's texture and models mesh. Pretty simple stuff. At the very top you'll notice
an line that reads " desc = " such as "desc =crate" or "desc =house" this points to the name of the thumbnail bitmap.
The name of the bitmap must be the SAME! The name of the .fpe file you will notice is also the SAME! ) Make sense?

3- the model mesh itself ( in .x file format only) remember the .fpe has a line that reads "model =" such as "model = crate.x"
This mesh is usually in the same folder.

4- lastly the texture for the entity ( .dds, tga, png formats can be used, but mostly .dds) The .fpe also has a line that points to this
texture. It also is usually in the same folder.
If you haven't done so you should upgrade to a newer version, don't forget to install dx 9-c. It has a few missing files that DX-10 or 11 don't have.
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Tnomic
Years of Service
User Offline
I had ran each update from 1.15 to 1.20 and still had this problem. The models themselves are also missing for when they are placed in the game, they would just be a small white square. When testing, they're invisible and will fire and move only to crash FPScreator. I have since reverted two a base demo version that was provided to me by my instructor because not even markers seemed to work in the bugged one I had. I could, at the time, place down player start markers and never spawn at them, but I could see them when testing.

Also on an unrelated note, is it possible to use a trigger marker to despawn items in a previous room?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2016 00:04
Tnomic
Quote: " I have since reverted two a base demo version that was provided to me by my instructor"

yeah, sounds like your download was incomplete/corrupt? Did you get V1.0 from the site I pointed you to above, then do the upgrade ?
Your most likely missing these files.
Quote: " is it possible to use a trigger marker to despawn items in a previous room"

Yes, there are two ways to go about doing this. One with a trigger, the second would be to add
a simple line to the "entities" you want to disappear. (but they have to be dynamic) Static entities can't run scripts
or be triggered to spawn/despawn. What kind of entities do you need to "despawn" ? Characters or entities?
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Tnomic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2016 08:05 Edited at: 15th Sep 2016 20:56
Quote: "Did you get V1.0 from the site I pointed you to above, then do the upgrade ?
Your most likely missing these files."

I did download it from there and then updated it. It may have been an issue with my internet connection at the time that caused an error or such during the installation.

As for the trigger question, I needed to despawn basically everything in a previous room, both entities and static objects. I have turned in the assignment already and simply opted to spawn in entities with the triggers instead of trying to empty out previous rooms. I simply wasn't thinking when I thought of this possibility.

Update: After having downloaded the full program while at the college and saving it to a flashdrive, I was able to install it and no longer had the issues that I did before. It was a case of a corrupt download on my end until I manually deleted FPSCC from my program files as the uninstall never completely wiped it clean.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:18:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:18:55