Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Need Help with Tempest Plugin Download

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PC and Android Games
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 15:23
Hi, I know this Tempest plugin (P2P) is already outdated and replaced with the new Multisync but perhaps someone has a copy of it (can't find any working links) and I'm curious about this and would like to give this a try.

Thanks.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 17:53
If I remember, tempest handled UDP while multisync uses TCP.

I never tried tempest, but it was written by Benjamin, who is now Seditious. You might send him a PM, though it has been a long time since he worked on either of those.

Matrix1 also offers excellent socket networking for both protocols.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 18:43 Edited at: 13th Oct 2016 18:44
Thanks Ortu! I already got Matrix1 for other stuff and I did not know that it supports networking features. Could you point out some links or existing guides?

Particularly I'm interested in UDP P2P since Multisync already handles tcp client/server.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 21:37 Edited at: 13th Oct 2016 21:43
Matrix1 comes with pretty good help file documentation. Matrix1Util_28 contains the socket commands.

It is pretty straight forward,

To open a local socket:
socket = new udp socket()
Bind socket (socket, port)

To connect to a remote socket:
socket = new udp socket()
Connect socket (socket, remotehost, port)

I can post a basic example tonight if you need

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2016 02:06
That would be nice, thanks!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2016 06:14 Edited at: 15th Oct 2016 06:16
here you go:

run the .exe from the command line, you will run the first instance using 'application.exe -s 9999' then run a second instance using 'application.exe 127.0.0.1 9999'

windows firewall may ask you to allow the application.

You will see the first instance report that it has bound the socket. You will see the second instance report that it has connected and you will see the message sent by the second instance received and printed by the first instance.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2016 17:05
Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-14 19:13:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-14 19:13:25