Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Dark AI Newsletter Tutorial Works But Not Moving

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PC and Android Games
Posted: 13th Oct 2016 18:55
Another gem I recently dug up and managed to find in the newsletters since I don't know how Dark AI works with those interesting commands.

On some examples it throws SET IDLE POSITION now requires a container ID error

I got a couple of examples running but the AI doesn't seem to move from its place. See attached newsletter example.

P.S. This one only works with the online version, not sure why it does not work on the latest opensource.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MateiSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe set it to free roam?
www.alexmatei.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2016 21:43
Wow, it was a long time ago that I wrote that tutorial!
Unfortunately I don't have DBPro installed anymore so I can't take a look at the problem. All I can say is that it worked when it was published, so Dark AI must have had an update. The error suggest that an update was made (now requires...)
Are there any other commands with a container Id to understand the syntax?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 04:54
Thanks BatVink! I was curious about this because some examples are running fine. Maybe they're not using some of these functions that were updated.

BTW, where can I get the latest Dark AI update?
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 06:30
Quote: "This one only works with the online version, not sure why it does not work on the latest opensource"

Did you try installing vanilla DBP with latest updates then drag and drop 9Ex into the install path rather than over the open source version from GitHub?(9Ex is compiled from altered version of open source and it does seem to be playing real nice with vanilla DBP updated and then overwritten with 9Ex, thanks to advice from Ortu). I ask due to your interest in 9Ex but if you specifically want just the open source from GitHub working with this then please ignore
That said it may be the case that DBP needs to have a specific update to run specific updated versions of DarkAI if they exist(for some reason U7.62 is sounding bells in the back of my mind but it could well be the bats flying around chasing the echos in the large space between my ears) in which case either 9Ex(in the aforementioned manner) or vanilla DBP might be the only way forward, but I have no idea how many updates DarkAI went through, so might be best to wait on BatVink. I do have DarkAI and will give it a whirl tomorrow if BatVink doesn't get round to it before I get chance though to be fair he may have more to offer than me(which really wouldn't take much!) - all I have is the purchased product available as a download(it is not sold anymore and hasn't been made free as I know of) which is detailed as version 105 in the zip file name and named as 04/09/2006 as the enclosed install file. My account normally holds product specific updates alongside products except for DBP of course so I would think technically at least one more updated version should be there if it was available. As it is not it does kind of suggest that there aren't any updates. The file size of the zip file is 22568kb if you wish to compare.
In line with the reference to what BatVink highlighted (now requires...) - are you already using 9Ex to try this out on? If so Rudolpho may well be your only way through on this - assuming he has access, I only think you might already be using this as I have never known DBP be so kind as to tell me such helpful hints, but having seen a few error messages of 9Ex they appear to be more along these lines is all.
Hope some of that at least made sense - it is late here, actually it is almost time to get up

Quote: "Unfortunately I don't have DBPro installed anymore so I can't take a look at the problem"

How very dare you!
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 08:56
Thanks JamesH! Looking forward to the updated download, maybe mine is just outdated although older or some other example works perfectly.

As for the DBP sequence, please confirm if this is what you have in mind.

1) Install DarkBasic Pro OpenSource
2) Apply Updates up to 7.62
3) Overwrite with DBProEx

Yes, it would be nice to work on DBPro Ex but I'm willing to use the original version if I can make use of most plugins.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 19:25
So, the versions have gotten a bit muddy lately, to borrow a term from Linux distros, let's say there are 3 basic flavors of DBpro at this point:

Vanilla - no longer available, this was a paid product, and then released for free with adverts prior to the open source version being made available on github. The latest update for this is U77. This was the last official version and has the most plug in compatibility. This can no longer be activated on new installs, but existing activated installs can be copied in full as a portable application.

Github Open Source - this version is a considerably different branch built off an older rolled back version of vanilla and then developed internally off in new directions for fpsc reloaded, a new product. Fpsc reloaded then discontinued development with dbpro and was redone as game guru. This new abandoned branch of dbpro was then released to github, but it is important to understand that it was never meant as an official update for dbpro. It broke a lot of plugin compatibility, lost some bug fixes that occurred between the rolled back version and U77, likely also lost some new bugs introduced between the same, but notably, it featured a much faster compiler.

9Ex - this is built on the open source branch, it retains the faster compiler and fixes many of the bugs and plug in compatibility issues, as well as using a slightly newer version of direct x. This version gets applied over an existing install of either vanilla or open source.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 22:12
Quote: "Looking forward to the updated download"

I'm not so sure there is one - I do have it running fine here on vanilla DBP - I tried it with U7.5 and U7.7RC7, no container errors or movement issues, all examples running fine. Which upgrade do you have installed for your online version?

Quote: "As for the DBP sequence, please confirm if this is what you have in mind."

You can pretty much ignore this suggestion anyway - I have already tried it and get nothing but error 6 which according to forum search results appear to be some image/memory issue. The only hope there might be Rudolpho making headway in 9Ex as he seems to be focusing on other plugins with a common issue, perhaps this is one and the same.

Ortu
Very well put, I tried many times to write something that made sense!
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 22:50 Edited at: 18th Oct 2016 22:59
Thanks James H. Can you explain what the problem is with the this requires..?

As I have said I tried it in 7.7 and it works but does not move. Here's my DLL for comparison.

@BatVink

Quote: "Are there any other commands with a container Id to understand the syntax?"

I don not know this container Id since I'm fairly new to DBP. That's why I'm looking for examples so I can get used to Dark AI.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 00:12
Mine is smaller in size and yours has been modified 4 years after mine. I notice you asked about where to source DarkAI from on another thread, I therefore could only deduce you got it from the U7.5 extras which is exactly the same size and has same modified date, but unfortunately it was most likely modified to meet the needs for FPSCX9(predecessor to FPSC Reloaded) which is written in DBP. Whether this is a licencing issue or whether it is a change into the way DarkAI is utilised I do not know at this point. It will have to wait a couple of days though before I can get back to looking at trying it with the FPSC version, it is past midnight already and I have an early start...and I might be as clueless as when I started lol so fair warning. Hopefully in the meantime BatVink will come up with something now that we have narrowed it down to this point
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 00:46
Yes, I got it from the 7.5 extras download link. Perhaps I need to use 7.5 instead of 7.7? The opensource version contains license certificates for DarkAI and other plugins but no DLL included which is kinda confusing.

No worries and thanks again!
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 03:14 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 03:45
A quick search through FPSC-Game source for AI Set Entity Idle Position, I found this out. In the Character.dba file change this line

AI set entity idle position cCHARACTER, gWaypoints(1).x, gWaypoints(1).z

to

AI set entity position cCHARACTER, gWaypoints(1).x, gWaypoints(1).y, gWaypoints(1).z

May be other differences however the characters or now moving and I'm receiving no error.

EDIT: Still not working in open source\9Ex.
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 04:16 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 04:17
Thanks WickedX. still no luck, changed the Character.dba file as you mentioned. It did turn for a moment there but that's all about it.

commented the old line and put the one you posted..

I'm still looking for any documentation or example set because clearly I have no clue how to get started with DarkAI :/
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 17:01
I see my name mentioned many times, I only saw this thread originally because one of the posts was in the moderator queue.
I no longer have DBPro installed so I can't advise. I am still a fan of DBP but I had to uninstall to force myself to focus on AppGameKit!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 05:30:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 05:30:21