Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Milkshape DirectX Limbs Export Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PC and Android Games
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 03:02
I'm trying to export a character using Milkshape with multiple materials but it always ends up in one mesh and in my original file it has Groups in it.

I would like to know how do I export X files properly retaining with the limbs so I can apply the appropriate textures.

I would assume that DirectX(JT) is the only option.

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 08:31 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 08:31
It Seems that DirectX( JT) retained mode is the only one working, either on rigged limbed character or on single mesh rigged-vertex assigned character. (quite funny)
I think I read that DX retained mode was disregarded quite some time ago by Microsoft, therefore, if you are after a public release project, I don't know on how many machines it may run.
Cheers
P.S. limb n# 2 is just a bone with no limb attached so it does nothing

Attachments

Login to view attachments
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 15:23
Thanks Scorpyo! This really helps a lot with the proper conversion and I will try this asap. One last thing if you don't mind posting a screenshot of the export DirectX JT dialog I would really appreciate it.

hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
I used DirectXJT export, then choose 'DirectX SKin and bones' format.
Then tick the 'S&B template'
That should export everything, bones, animation, textures.
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 19:39
He wants to preserve the individual limbs of a rigged character in order to respond to the texture limb command for each limb later on in DBP.
What I found is that the only way to make it possible is to export in DX retained mode.
You can try it in the attached demo in my first reply and load the character which is provided in several DX(JT) export modes (just rem and unrem the load object line(s) accordingly)-
You will find that you can texture each limb individually only with the retained mode exports.
(Milkshape export settings attached)
Cheers

Attachments

punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 00:08
Awesome! will try these out and post my findings!!

@hakimfullmetal

Yes, as Scorpyo said that is the issue for me.
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 00:26 Edited at: 20th Oct 2016 00:56
@Scorpyo
Ok so the Retained Mode failed for me. The mesh breaks apart particularly on the joints.

@hakimfullmetal
S&B Template exports cleanly but the limb settings gets ignored.
Edit: It did export separately when viewing it again on other tools. My question, how do you check it if DBPro also detects it as separate limbs?

Is there any DLL or library that you can just texture the material directly and not use limbs?
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 04:29
Another way you might consider. I typically put all the graphics I need onto one texture and I use Milkshape's texture coordinate editor to texture the object. It really is a cool tool to use once you get the hang of it. In Milkshape, you click on the 'Window' tab and select the texture coordinate editor. You must have previously grouped the limb you want to texture and have it selected. You pick the view you want to use and adjust the vertice points on the map and poof, there it is. I have attached an example of it in use.

Personally, I only use retained mode when I have no limbs. I use the same method as hakimfullmetal for boned objects.

So many games to code.....so little time.

Attachments

punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 05:53 Edited at: 20th Oct 2016 05:58
Thanks LBFN. I'll keep that info for future reference with non limb objects and yes hakimfullmetal's method works in a way but I still need to test it.

Are there any codes available that will check limb count and I would assume that the starting position is 0?
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 11:58
Quote: "Ok so the Retained Mode failed for me. The mesh breaks apart particularly on the joints."

aww...Too bad

well, first of all I'm on DBP 1.066 still, with DirectX 09c April 2011 installed and I'm using Milkshape 3D 1.8.5
Not sure if that makes the difference.
If you wish, you can post the ms3d model (including textures) here or email it to me at tiscap2@virgilio.it so i can have a look at it at my side.

I'll try to think of something on the subject later on
Now gotta run out of the house.

Cheers

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 18:01
I've done further testing:

Saving in DX retained mode you can texture each limb individually but the animation breaks the mesh (as you noticed).
Saving in Skin&Bones mode you get the texture applied to the whole model (It happens on limb 1 for me)

You have 2 choices at this point I think:

- Use retained mode but build the mesh model in order to mask the break areas.

- Use Skin&Bones mode and use a single texture for the whole body as LBFN suggests, and make as many copies as you need with the variations needed in the specific limb area (for each limb that you need to retexture) and then you re-texture the Whole model.

Cheers
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2016 14:28
Yes, thank you for this confirmation Scorpyo. I'm now getting used to the procedure and I think hakimfullmetal's method works for now.

I'm now going for replicating a TreeIt model which has two limbs and saved in dbo format. I was successful on the limb part but applying the evolve's wind shader makes the model turn black.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2016 20:53
I haven't had much luck applying that shader to blender model exports either, get the same black issue.

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2016 01:03
Thanks Ortu for this confirmation. At least I know I'm not doing something wrong there. I was thinking that the shader is written specifically for TreeIt exported models.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2016 07:55
I use Milkshape 3D a lot with DBPRO.
Don't use the Milkshape 3D DirectX exporters.

Save your model in regular MS3D format.

Get FragMotion. There is a free version. (He makes you type a Christian prayer into it to enable access.)
http://www.fragmosoft.com/fragMOTION/

Open the MS3D file with FragMotion and then Export it as DirectX format.

(Also you might want to weld all and fix smoothing groups before exporting.)
punkyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2016 23:08
Thanks Mage. Fragmotion was my first option and so far it works with static props stuff. Do you know how to maintain groups because each time I export it always merged into one?

Are groups/submeshes equivalent to DBP limbs?
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2016 02:29
I have never used an object with more than one built in mesh. I would not be surprised if the X Format did not support such a thing.

As an alternative I suggest looking into using the GLUE OBJECT TO LIMB command.
This would have you make each mesh a separate object. Sort of like having a character walk around with a weapon stuck to his/her hand.

This is especially good if one mesh is limited to no animations or very simple animations. For more complicated animation/bone rigging you might need to get creative with bones and animation control systems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:49:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:49:43