Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Boot Hill Blaster [Windows, Linux, Android]

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 19:12 Edited at: 28th Nov 2016 19:24
Boot Hill Blaster is a retro arcade game written with AGK2 Tier 1. It is currently in Steam Greelight and on itch.io. Votes and constructive comments on Greenlight are always appreciated.
Toxic Terror is another game I wrote with AGK2 Tier 1 and is currently on Steam and itch.io.

Story
You wake up in a desert cemetery one night. You don't remember how you got here, but something feels wrong about the place.
The ground begins to shake and you suddenly find yourself in a fight for your life against a swarm of deadly monsters.
How long can you survive this night of terror?

Game Play
The object of the game is to destroy as many monsters as you can without dying. Destroying all monsters advances you to a new level.
Your character starts with three health points and three blaster charges. You gain one more every five levels you complete. Your blaster recharges automatically.
Be sure to grab the bonus items that appear. They will help you stay alive.

Features
  • Fast-paced arcade action.
  • Retro/NES-style graphics and sounds.
  • An original chiptune soundtrack

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 12:26
Hey, I missed this post. I like your game very much. I watched the video and your game remindes me the old good times.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 16:15
Thanks for checking it out. I'm glad that you like it.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 17:35
Glad you released it on itch.io as well because it is still sitting waiting to be Greenlit on Steam. Only thing is geesh the price you set on itch.io is crazy IMO. No "real" game should be less than $1 ever. Especially for desktop. I mean 59 cents is ridiculous and undervalues game devs in general... again IMO.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 19:41
It's just on sale at the moment. The regular price is $0.99, which still lands it in the "less than $1" category, I know.

It's not my intention to undervalue anything. I'm fairly new to marketing games I've made. When this was originally released it only had about 1/4 or 1/3 of the content it does now. I just haven't increased the price at all since its release despite adding to it.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 21:12 Edited at: 28th Dec 2016 21:21
@adambiser well no offense meant.

I don't know for certain how most folks view such a thing but when I see crazy low prices I immediately think "wow! I guess even the developer must think this game is pretty bad. Certainly doesn't seem to take any pride in it".

If it was on mobile it would be different. That market raced to the bottom years ago. But for desktop that is how I view it. I mean I can't even buy a bottle of beer or heck even water nor a candy bar for this price.

So I'd say just take pride in your work. Set the price high (at least higher) and if people start really complaining about the price then you may want to lower it. But also keep in mind is it better to have 5 customers willing to spend $3 each on the game or to have 25 customers willing to pay 59 cents each on the game? The money is the same but the latter means potentially 5X more support you need to provide and generally speaking (not always of course) various studies I have read in the past have shown the people always wanting to pay a tiny amount are the biggest source of complaints and negative reviews.

Also you may be surprised that selling the game for $2 or even $3 may not lose that many sales. So you could in fact possibly make more money while still eliminating the folks who would complain the most (some people believe everything should be near free or outright free and will complain no matter what).

The only way to really know is to test. Try a price for a week or two. Then try a different price. Compare.
Of course it is up to you. Just saying it makes a better first impression to see a game priced at say $3 or more than it does less than a dollar. And money wise you can probably make the same amount or more with less support work and grief.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 21:55
I know what you mean. I've also heard and read similar statements elsewhere. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will keep things in mind for the future.
I had thought about raising the price with the last update which added a bunch of content to it, but decided against it.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
PLEASE! Don't race prices down to mobile level. Next you will see that only F2P is accepted by players on desktop. And that was/is the death of the mobile market. Players there are upset if they have to pay anything. ANYTHING!

On your game: NICE looking Retro game. I like it!
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 00:14 Edited at: 29th Dec 2016 02:41
Just bought the game at itch.io and will try it out very soon then update this with my thoughts.

EDIT:

Okay, I am back from playing the game.

GREAT JOB! This is a very solid game. It's actually addictive. It definitely has that "just one more try!" thing going for it.

It's a very simple concept implemented very solidly. This makes it very easy to pick up and start playing.

The difficulty progresses at a nice rate. The variety of enemies and power ups is very good.

I bought it for $3 and honestly didn't know what to expect... (videos never tell how a game really feels... how it controls... how it plays)... it could have been bad.
Then I would have returned here and said nevermind I think this game should be released for free on web game portals.

But nope I feel for $3 this is exactly the kind of game I would expect and I will certainly play it more.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 07:15
@MikeHart: Thanks and will do.

@GarBenjamin: Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and let me know your thoughts about it. I'm glad that you enjoy it.

By the way, I tried out Treasures of Ali-Gar and think it's a pretty fun game. Grabbed the download of it. Will be playing it some more later.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 15:24 Edited at: 30th Dec 2016 05:50
@adambiser You are welcome. It is a great little game.

Glad you enjoyed Treasures of Ali-Gar. It's very simple (3 different enemies but the only difference between them is their movement speeds and health levels... no power ups or other helpful gear for the player to find, etc) but solid little game.

If I had unique enemy types and a couple of power ups etc I'd put a price on it. But for a free game I think it is fine as is.

I developed that game in Unity after figuring out how to easily do pixel perfect displays and apply my development style within Unity. Meanig it is all program code based with minimal time spent in the Editor.

But I like AGK2 much better. It is a better fit for my dev style.

Anyway back on topic. Yes, I like your game Boot Hill Blaster. It is very well done. Has a great NES game feel to it although it plays better than many of the NES games did.

Level 5 gets pretty crazy. I will beat it next time!
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 17:37
AGK2 does take care of a lot of the underlying stuff so that one can focus more on the gaming logic. I've not tried Unity yet.

Level 5 does get a bit crazy. I forgot what level I've made it to, 20-something. My high score is 1250. While trying to balance the game, I had a hard time passing level 7 and I didn't want to release it unless I could make it to at least level 20 while remaining a good challenge.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 09:23
Well done, I have added an AppGameKit Developer badge to your profile. I have also posted about your game on the TGC social feeds.
Development Director
TGC Team
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 18:47
@RickV: Thank you! I appreciate it.
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 16:25
Great work, I just voted in favor of greenlighting. One of the best examples of a retro-NES type of game I have seen in a while. Thumbs up!!
I love my Altair 8800 Replica.

http://altairclone.com/
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 14:49
@Alien Menace: Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and I'm glad you think it looks good. Thanks for your vote, too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:33:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:33:42