Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / electronics gurus?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 20:37
Unable to find the exact product I want, I'm left with one option. Build it myself. My goal is to build a custom car stereo. I don't mean install a set of components, I mean build the actual head unit from scratch. It's for my Duster and I want to keep the original style radio but with modern hardware. The old ones were about half as wide as the current DIN enclosures, so I highly doubt I can simply transplant the guts from one to the other.

Did some searching and I'm not coming up with a whole lot. So I'm looking for advice on what and where I can get components to build such a thing.

I have simple requirements:
- FM radio (HD radio would be cool but not necessary)
- AUX input (to plug in my phone)

The above is mandatory. The below, while optional, is very much desired.
- USB; to charge phone (don't need ipod controls) and media playback from a usb stick
- SD card for media playback
- Small led screen to display track info and radio text.

I don't need a CD or tape player. (or 8-track)

No clue where I can even get circuits to build this stuff. If I need a centralized chip to control everything I do have an RPi2 and RPi zero I can use. 50w x 4 would be fine as far as amplification and some basic EQ.

Any suggestions?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 23:09
Pfffft. Just cut the board in half and tape it back together longways. Make sure to use electrical tape or it won't work.

</placeholder before Comet arrives>
OUT with the ugly campaign signature and IN with some super fancy text.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 23:59
Quote: "I don't need a CD or tape player. (or 8-track)"

"All follow the AUP rules then all should be happy to work together to create fantastic coding" - damo4prez
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 01:11
I imagine if you had a legit glovebox record player it'd be worth something. Far as I'm aware, they were rare. (and probably skipped a lot)

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 11:03
My suggestion for you would be to buy an MP3 player and salvage parts from it. You could possibly use some uC to control the MP3 player by simulating button presses, if that's the way you want to go. You could also just expose the screen of the MP3 player and the buttons directly.

Building a device from scratch that can stream media from USB is a project that would take an engineer weeks to complete.
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 12:13
Quote: "Building a device from scratch that can stream media from USB is a project that would take an engineer weeks to complete."

I think there are some generic chips that handle most of the functionality, but I guess it would still be a lot of work.
imagine going to a wedding and farting on the corpse lol - Seditious, 2016
(Formerly known as Benjamin until he lost access to his account)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 21:14
Quote: "Building a device from scratch that can stream media from USB is a project that would take an engineer weeks to complete."

I figured it wouldn't be as simple as soldering a few parts together, but you may be right. I don't have much experience with building electronics.

I think this looks promising. The buttons are all separate and not digital/touch/one-button-does-everything. It has radio and SD card support. It has a USB port, but I'm not entirely sure it's for storage or what.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Portable-LCD-Digital-FM-Radio-Speaker-USB-Micro-TF-Card-Mp3-Music-Player-BE-/122198493266?var=&hash=item1c73990852

I just came across this gizmo too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-12V-MP3-WMA-Decoder-Board-Audio-Module-USB-TF-Radio-For-Car/351577029576?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Df07f3808de5a4d78bff2c99e48acdcf7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D232138093732

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2016 15:48
You could use a Raspberry Pi with a radio tuner break-out board attached via GPIO.

Thank would be a sweet little project!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:47:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:47:37