Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Just dropping in to say hello....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 19:41
Hello all! It's been a long time since I've even lurked here. I thought I'd drop by and say hello to any other oldbies that still remain. Things have been going well for me but I haven't been doing too much with game development recently. Last year I did help the maker of Evochron add support for Oculus and HTC Vive to his game by creating a wrappers for the SDK's for DBpro, which also required some heavy updates to DBpro. So, I guess that was some interesting game dev work, but not much else. Anyone else doing cool productive projects?

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 21:28
Welcome back
A lot of us have moved over to AppGameKit now, which is progressing nicely. There are still some diehard DBPro'ers and it lives on, I don't think it will ever die.

You should give AppGameKit a go, it's a nice little toy. No 3rd party extensions yet though which I know is your forte.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 22:28
There are a few of us still banging away in dbpro maintaining active projects on the WIP board. I dunno how 'productive' they are, but keeps us busy
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 01:41
Quote: "You should give AppGameKit a go, it's a nice little toy. No 3rd party extensions yet though which I know is your forte."

I did start playing around with it a bit when the 3D commands were added. I do like AppGameKit but haven't really found a project that I want to do that fits it quite right yet. I'm really wanting to do some experimenting with making a game. I somehow always get into the more technical side of things making wrappers and such. Right now, if I do decide to do something, it will be VR based which isn't possible yet (if ever) in AGK. So, I could use DBpro and the wrapper I made, but using something like Unity would probably be far easier.
a.k.a WOLF!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 08:58
Quote: "if I do decide to do something, it will be VR based which isn't possible yet (if ever) in AGK"

It is possible!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 13:09
Thanks for sharing. I figured it would be possible to do something on the mobile side of things for VR with AppGameKit, but I'm looking more towards supporting the Rift and Vive. That is very cool though!
a.k.a WOLF!
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 11:04 Edited at: 13th Jan 2017 11:06
Hi Ron. Been ages since I was here too!

As BatVink says, VR is certainly possible with AGK. I created a VR Clay Pigeon shooting game a while ago using AGK2 tier 1 as a proof of concept for use with Google Cardboard. It requires no input other than head movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWKUmeN2fg

The video isn't very smooth sadly but the game is still available on Google Play if you wanted to give it a try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.ac.southstaffs.vrclaypigeonshoot

I am sure you could use the AppGameKit tier 2 C++ libraries with Rift and Valve. I can honestly say AppGameKit makes game development in C++ sooooo much easier.

Chart data provided with kind permission from ELSPA
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 14:10
Very cool video Zappo!
Now that you mention it, I actually did do some testing with AppGameKit tier 2 with the Oculus SDK a while back but couldn't quite make it work. I'd have to find my old code and do some testing to remember exactly what I ran into. I can't remember if it was the OpenGL device or the render images that weren't exposed in the way that they needed to be, but maybe it wouldn't be a big deal for TGC to add that functionality. I'll have to re-investigate and talk with Lee about exactly what would be needed. I'd much rather use a programming language like AppGameKit than some GUI interface like Unity when developing!

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2017 02:06

Howdy Ron...

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 00:21
Quote: "Howdy Ron... "

Now there is another old name!
a.k.a WOLF!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 10:23
Yo, greetings from Spain too, welcome back
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 19:44
I remember you

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 14:32
Hey Ron!
-Keith
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 16:37
Hey Ron, I am still here.

I have moved on to AppGameKit Tier2. TGC contracted me to add the 3D physics using the Bullet Physics engine to AppGameKit since I had already developed it for DBPro.
I am working on a game engine in Tier2 that will have some advanced physics features that are not in the current version of AGK.

This video shows a tool made in AppGameKit Tier 2 that uses the V-HACD algorithm to automatically create compound collision shapes for concave objects.
It also allows for offsetting the center of mass of the object.

Next I am bringing over to AppGameKit my automatic object Fracture system that I developed for DBPro.

My plan is to make a 3D space game with real time fracture and Zero G fun.

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 09:13
I too also remember the old guard.
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 09:56
Hey Ron and Everyone!
Going to semi-hijack this thread to say hello.
Another old time lurker back here again recently as well after being away for a number of years now.
Lost myself in Web Novels (mainly LitRPGs, Xanxias/Wuxias and similar).
Good to see some old names still here and the forum still being quite lively.
Hope to spend more time around here from this point onwards and get back to doing some coding (probably with AGK2 as I'm using Linux now).
Keep Coding. Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:58:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:58:58