Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 06:34 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 05:17
I have a game i've just finished writing in AGK2 it took me about 24 Hours.
Its my First program written in AGK2 so don't expect too much.
I am proud of it , its based on a game i wrote in java for the ludumdare comp a while ago now
(no i didn't use that code as a reference.. its all from scratch)
Complete with Personal sound effects (all made by me and my mouth.. lol)
Its a simple game that can be addictive. Starts off slow but the higher your score gets the faster it gets.
its for windows only at the moment (still have to work out how to do the others)

you can Grab it here (Complete with Sourcecode)

Let me know what you think. Delve into my code and show me where and how i can improve it (my code that is)

Hurry and Grab it while its still free

PS: i'll be adding more to it , eg: highscores will be recorded (on device and possible online where you'll be able to compete against others to see who can get the highest score, Support other languages, just need some nice BG misic for it

one of the things with this game is that people get anxious and want to launch the block as soon as they can. the idea is to take your time and the goal is to fill the screen if you can , by then the blocks will be moving as fast as they can , very very difficult. unless you use stratagy and let some blocks go passed (reducing your score and slowing the blocks speed down) to a speed where you can place it inb the last few remaining spots . it is possible to fill the entire screen (at the moment 58*18 blocks from memory). it also means that you can have i higher score if you don't fill the screen , if you wait too long to place blocks. so you caan see that the game is really quite complex for such a simple game

Next version (yet to be released)
fixes the block only coming in from one side
fixes the step back when launching the blocks
added Saving and loading of highscore
changed Blocksize to 64*128 so you can't fit as many blocks on the screen shortening the perfect game
tweaked code in lots of places
fixed toggle fullscreen

Stil lto be done
also adding extra instruction to make it clear that you can let the block leave the screen at the cost of a point.
lookinto using sprites and images as opposed to drawblock

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice little game Cameron! Just 350 Lines, wow!

One thing I noticed is that when you let the block go up, it uses a lane -1 from its current X position.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 01:44 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 01:55
thanks Mike yeah.. i think some of it cxould be written better too.. i'll be looking into that the block sometimes appears to be launching back one block, its a little temporary hack i had to do until i can see why theres a bit of a delay from pressing the button and it launching, I was finding it hard to get it to launch in the first colums as it was mocing onb to the second after seeing the block in the first , press buttonm then it launched into the 2nd comlumn

Yes you're suposed to let any colors that are too dificult to place go through to the other side and not place it , at the cost of one point. (yes your score can go into the negatives) that reminds me i have to place a cap on the most negative score.. thanks

I had it also tested by an 18 year old and they reconned that i could sell it. for like 2.20 on an appstore and that these type of simple games are well sort after

just seen hat the random direcxtion thing isn't working drats.. it was working earlier in dev... as for thinking big.. i am.. and so was the maker of TETRIS another block game that inspired me to actually keep it simple

I know i can do more , my next project when i've finished this one will be bigger.. more complex .. I have at least 3 projects lined up.

The main reason I released the code was to get feed back on the code itself. how to improve it, optomise it. etc
another reason was so that those running linux or max could compile and test it too..

(edited to fix some spelling errors and typo's)

I'm only runnuing windows 10 so i'll eventually be looking for someone who does to compile it for me on the platforms that i can't
CodeName
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 03:56 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 04:34
This is the next flappy bird.. i like this game!

I didn't notice it all included everything in the download...

Long day, I'm ua look through it, and tinker with it..

I like this game, after its textured and code fixed, sell , or put adds and make free.

Willing to help free of charge.
Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 04:54 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 05:13
the source code is included(at the moment).. so you can see how i'm doing things etc
at the moment its not using sprites (I never thought of using graphics) , it all works on the colors of the blocks. the BG is a block color too so its reducing the color mix for the blocks to add more veriety.
it does make sence that i can use shapes and or graphics , it would mean a re-wrie olf the code to use sprites as opposed to Drawn Blocks
one reason i chose to start off with Colord blocks is to keep the program size down and not need to include graphics files
feel free to email me (cameronarnott@bigpond.com of what your thinking of.. eg: sample graphics. the pixel size is 32*64 but the code is written such that i can change their size and it auto changes the number of colums and rows (or was that the other way round.. anyway its configurable)

you can also hit F8 key to flip between window mode and fullscreen you can also resize the window and have it scale to fit

one of the things with this game is that people get anxious and want to launch the block as soon as they can. the idea is to take your time and the goal is to fill the screen if you can , by then the blocks will be moving as fast as they can , very very difficult. unless you use stratagy and let some blocks go passed (reducing your score and slowing the blocks speed down) to a speed where you can place it inb the last few remaining spots . it is possible to fill the entire screen (at the moment 58*18 blocks from memory). it also means that you can have i higher score if you don't fill the screen , if you wait too long to place blocks. so you caan see that the game is really quite complex for such a simple game

next version (yet to be released)
fixes the block only coming in from one side
fixes the step back when launching the blocks
added Savine and loading of highscore
changed Blocksize to 64*128 so you can't fit as many blocks on the screen shortening the perfect game
tweaked code in lots of places
fixed toggle fullscreen

stil lto be done
also adding extra instruction to make it clear that you can let the block leave the screen at the cost of a point.
lookinto using sprites and images as opposed to drawblock

CodeName
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, able to go passed the screen is a good idea.. and the other stuff as well...

Thinking of it, Make it to where when you make the block, make an image then a sprite out of it and then put an Alpha map on each one to reduce gfx size... one alpha map to map all the blocks.. little bit more ram use but it be ok.

yah ill email you, im in California UsA, this is going to be more of a cool game...

I have yet to be addicted to a game in a very long time, I have to work on this.

I'll have some concepts in 24 hours

Take care.
CodeName
Years of Service
User Offline
one last thought, when the block hits its target we can make an image out of the stacked blocks.

Create a new block each time so only a screen sized image and one block created during the duration of the app running.
Further reducing gpu usage and locations in memory.

Go en bee fuuun tu plaaa

haha
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I was playing it a few tiomes lst night. It really can get addictive.

Personally I would make the playfield more narrow. Do you do that later on as the game progresses? Somehow dynamically changing.

Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 12:53
no I don't, the block speeds up. the higher your score is, so it does become a lot more difficult (the acceleration of the spead will probably need to be tweaked . if youre finding it too easy
Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 05:19 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 05:48
updated opening post to reflect changes in next version and added todo list. lol
now only 291 lines of code

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:40:12