Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / GameCreator or Unity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:42
Hi There

The screen shots of Gamecreator are very compelling. My question is: Why would I buy this software when I can get an intro version of Unity for free? Forgive me. I seem to spend a lot of time trying to learn how to use a piece of software. I am getting kind of tired of it actually. I'd like to make a cool game and share it as a multiplayer. And then I'd like to build the same game that would run on a phone using the Android OS. Thanks for looking.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 22:52
You can go to a Mercedes representative and you can ask him which model from BMW is better for you...
Andy84
Years of Service
User Offline
I can understand this question of igetit. I personally use Unity and Unreal. But I bought me AGK2. AppGameKit is very nice for quick and fast game development for 2D. If you plan to create and 3D High Polygon (AAA) game then the AppGameKit Framework is nothing for you. AKG2 has an very quick and easy learning curve for an low price. You bought the Framework and then you have it. On Unity you must pay for things like Ads / Networking service. And if you have more incoming you must go to pro / enterprise etc... On unreal you have the same you pay royalty of 5% of your game on epic if you reach an limit of I mean 3.000 a quarter. So if you totally new I can just say you have here the possibility to start with basic and after basic you can develop and learn so c++ which give you the possibility to work with frameworks like Cocos or the unreal engine for example. But if you use unity you learn c# and yeah that was it... you have learned c# and have no other possibilities without learning another language. So for beginning AGK2 is an very nice product to a low price. What I personally prefer here are some commands like InApp purchasing, Facebook integration etc... out of the box in unity you must pay money if you would earn money.

But the problem here is in my opinion the showcase. If I see unity or unreal or game maker / construct etc... they all show the best of the best games in the showcase here the showcase is really outdated so a beginner can't see what potential this framework has. I have seen a lot of very stunning projects here in the forum showcase section just an quick example AGE2D take a look at this. The guy behind integrated so much nice features what makes level design just easy so you have the possibility to design your UI and control everything for beginning in the code. Another feature what AGK2 makes in my opinion so attractive is write one code and just and you can deploy it to android / iOS / TVoS (Objective-C skills necessary) on unity you sometimes must change the codes for some function working not out of the box.

I hope this little information from my view helps you.
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
My first AppGameKit game is in the making, altho i use a lot of other engine before but this is my first serious project Im making tennis game initially then change to badminton and suprise how beginner friendly AppGameKit is. I also do some comparison before going AppGameKit, super hard to choose but in the end none of the game can made without putting in effort learning and actually doing it.

Even simple NES like digdug or donkey kong cannot be made without putting effort. My point is, select one languange/tool,learn(surely the process take time) and do the project.

OT: But now, im struggling to find out 2d game concept which i honestly dont know how tile works, putting out two unanswered topic here. Maybe my question is not well phrase out.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 09:28
Quote: "If you plan to create and 3D High Polygon (AAA) game then the AppGameKit Framework is nothing for you"
No. AppGameKit really is capable at 3D too. Just take a look at the work of Preben with the GameGuru to AppGameKit loader - really amazing stuff happening there. There's also evidence that the AppGameKit 3D rendering pipeline is currently faster than the likes of Unity, with some commercial developers opting to use AppGameKit for that reason.

GameCreator or Unity? Why was this even asked in an AppGameKit forum? Total flame bait. MOD should lock this thread before it kicks off.

Andy84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 10:02 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 10:24
Quote: "No. AppGameKit really is capable at 3D too. Just take a look at the work of Preben with the GameGuru to AppGameKit loader - really amazing stuff happening there. There's also evidence that the AppGameKit 3D rendering pipeline is currently faster than the likes of Unity, with some commercial developers opting to use AppGameKit for that reason."

That's true I have seen this projects from Preben with GameGuru and AppGameKit Loader. But I talk about AAA+ (Real Racing, Hitman Go etc...). The rendering engine is in Unity or Unreal better than in AppGameKit that is fact but thats just my opinion. For 2D or Isometric Games it's totally awesome and better than on Unity, Unreal, Giderosmobile, CoronaSDK, GameMaker Studio, Construct2 etc... but on 3D I think that this product is in the beginning at the moment .

But i think for the first game framework AppGameKit should be your choice for this price on steam without paying any royalties and easy learning curve you should choose the AGK2. The guys behind this software are interested on the opinion of the community. See the section "AppGameKit Chat / [STICKY] v2 Feature Requests" in this forum. On other game frameworks / engines you don't have the possibility to say what you you need for your game development. Another nice feature here is they working on an Level / UI Editor (For example see Showcase and What blendman do with AGK2 - TIER 1) just stunning. That's make the development of your dream game even easier than it already is.

So you see every game engine / framework has pro and cons but for quick development without any other payments you should choose AGK2 that is fact.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 11:12
It all depends on your skillset... not just with code but with design, art, and also how good you are at learning the prescribed tools. I am not a fan of Unity, I think it's vastly over rated and in our corner of the market (hobbyist, solo developer, very small teams) the Unity projects are no more impressive than what is produced by TGC products. If there's an impressive solo project in Unity or Unreal, then it tends to be because the person is a 3D artist, or has spent a chunk of money on media. It's better to pick the engine that supports what you yourself can do, not what you might be able to do in 5 years.

I have one main project in AppGameKit, currently working on a very special terrain system that gives 5 detail textures with normal map, ambient occlusion, height map (texture stepping for fake offset shading), roughness and specular... it also has a bitmap normal map for smoother shading, and a tile map for smaller details. Squeezing all that into a GLES shader is not straightforward but a good challenge, and it will look amazing. Sometimes its more fun to take a limited system, like having only 8 textures to play with, and making that work for you, than just using Unity or Unreals built in tools to make the amazing happen. There's a bit of reassurance when your dealing with actual code, if something doesn't work then its your fault, and you can go fix it. I used to dabble in Cryengine, then they started disabling features that were a bit buggy, and I can't work like that - I'd rather take the long way round and be responsible for everything... but game development should be fun, so I don't go to the lengths of using C++ all the time unless I have to.

I started learning Unreal again, but mainly because I want to make VR games since getting an rift. Epic's 5% royalty deal seems to be very fair, better than what is on offer with Unity. It is odd, how Unity seems to be marketed at hobbyists and small teams yet the costs are prohibitive - while the more professional option has a royalty system than nobody can really argue with or complain about.
The code is dark and full of errors
igetit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 14:44
Let me say I am a noob trying to find my groove. For some reason, I confuse people with my questions. Andy84 seemed to home in what I am saying. Perhaps I don't completely understand exactly what AppGameKit is? I shall remedy that soon. I guess I was looking for a fast answer. I do not want to start any kind of forum squabble. At this point in time, I see AppGameKit in the same class as Unreal or Unity; an app to make games?
Andy84
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Let me say I am a noob trying to find my groove. For some reason, I confuse people with my questions. Andy84 seemed to home in what I am saying. Perhaps I don't completely understand exactly what AppGameKit is? I shall remedy that soon. I guess I was looking for a fast answer. I do not want to start any kind of forum squabble. At this point in time, I see AppGameKit in the same class as Unreal or Unity; an app to make games?
"

The best of all is that you take a look into every game engine / Framework what you are interested in. You can download from the most an trial version - for example an trial version of AGK2 (Play a little bit with it). Or download the personal Free edition of Unity, or Download Unreal Engine or take a look at Construct2 or Gamemaker Studio and Clickteam Fusion or take a look at giderosmobile (Lua Programming). Then you you would see which are the best of you. AGK2 has much pro's but on the other side all the other game engine or frameworks too. Nobody else can say which game engine / framework you should work with. And yes if you ask on the Unreal or Unity forum the guys say yes the Unity or Unreal engine is the NO.1 that's normally I personally say AGK2 has pro's and con's the same as another Frameworks or engines too. But everybody must find the engine that he / she prefer. So take your time and choose the engine which you like and you think you can get quick and fast results.

igetit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 18:56
Thanks Guys

After doing more research, I think I should be here:

https://www.game-guru.com/

Sorry to have bothered you. Thanks for the good info, though.
igetit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 20:25
Thanks Guys

After doing more research, I think I should be here:

https://www.game-guru.com/

Sorry to have bothered you. Thanks for the good info, though.
Andy84
Years of Service
User Offline
Your welcome,
igetit.
Then you are hopeful you have a lot of fun with it . I'm happy you have found your way .
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
U decided with GG? Im also have intention to purchase GG and urge increase due to GG level loader to AGK. Now deciding which starter pack to add in the purchase.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 18:32
I know this is late to the conversation, but here's my take...

I have downloaded and played with a lot of different engines. Recently I started going through them again just to see if anything has changed. Disclaimer: I didn't spend a lot of time with any of them, so take these observations with a grain of salt.

Construct - HTML5, not native as far as I can tell.
Stencyl - really slow compile times even for simple games, would drive me nuts if I had to use it
Gamesalad - looks like they are moving to HTML5, lot of complaints in their forums
Cocos - slow compile time compared to AGK
Unity - too big for what I want
Corona and Gideros - very good, almost went with one of them, but I really struggled with resolution independence. AppGameKit makes this so simple.

Bottom line... all of these engines are very capable but they all have some flaw that keeps me coming back to AGK. Plus, being an old school programmer, I picked up the AppGameKit language much quicker than the other drag and drop environments. Your mileage may vary, though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:08:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:08:13