Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBDN and DBP Fan Sites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 03:57
Hi all,

I'm just thinking out loudly here, but with all the coming DarkBasic Professional fan sites with code snippets, demos, forums, help "desks" and file mirrors, will there be a significate advantage of the DarkBasic Developers Network?

Yes I understand you wont get access to the daily diaries of DBS members and "special" help from DBS (especially Lee and co), and you wont get discounts on other DBS products, but is there any ... erm, perhaps there's the advantage.

I guess the question is whether it's worth the asking price for a subscription? The reason I am asking is because I am considoring subscribing.

flanque
:: Specs: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2MX SH 64MB, SB-Live!, LG Studioworks 775N 17", MS Natural Pro KB, MS Optical Mouse, Windows 2000 Pro (SP3) ::
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 04:24
Most DBDN Members would say yes I think, I can't speak for them though. I can't tell you either way. I know it is worth it for some people, but I don't need a dbdn subscription and have survived without them. I am a bit urked that they should get special support, but I have never really needed that either. So all in all, I would say yes, but remember: I don't want it enough to get it, and I have never experienced it!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
InSiDeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 10:58
I've been at DBDN since day one and i honestly think they make every other DB/Pro site or Forum pointless, you get everyhing you could ever want in DBDN, and if it aint there jsut ask rich and he'll get it for ya.

and the diaries are funny,lol

join id say

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 11:55
Flanque - DBDN is very much a community and should be viewed as such rather than a collection of "services". Sure you get the discounts, support, diaries etc. But the real value comes in asking a question and getting several sensible answers back again! The forums are extremely active, very well populated and to date we have never had to moderate/delete a single message yet - no spam, no flame wars, no idiots. Just good clean technical (and amusing!) talk. There are some very talented developers on there for sure. To me that is the biggest benefit.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 14:07
...and when your as 'hopeless' as me you get value for ya money

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 17:50
Yeah, DBDN is a wonderful comminity. It's a pity you have to pay to get in it, but, the fact is it wouldn't be nice if it wasn't. The pay filters out the riffraf-- but also a lot of good people too, which is sad. But it's worth it. It's a great place... and yeah, the diaries are real funny . Lee puts in entries 2 out of 3 days.

--Mouse
flanque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2002 16:11
Rich,

Thanks for that.. I didn't considor that the majority of the kiddies and morons would probably be filtered out.

That in itself is a very tempting attribute.

flanque

:: Specs: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2MX SH 64MB, SB-Live!, LG SWrks 775N 17", MS Natural Pro KB, MS Optical Mouse, Windows 2000 Pro (SP3), DirectX 8.1 ::

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:50:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:50:36