Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Curious about game made in AGK (Question for knowledge)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all.

This is non developement question and just for knowledge. In gaming world, there said to be CPU dependant and GPU dependant game.So if game are made in AppGameKit is it CPU or GPU dependant? or is it depent on coding structure?

One more question, when targeting spesic VRAM limit, how do we now how much is already use by AppGameKit?

Thanks
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2017 18:18
Well AppGameKit apps are built for the platfom (iOS, Android, Mac, PC) so it really is both, and neither at the same time. A device that isn't powerful enough will struggle to keep up with the frame rates, and the graphics hardware will play a big part as well. It is possible to have AppGameKit automatically scale images for lower spec devices, but really its upto the developer to test thoroughly on target hardware and take some measures to keep performance up. Alpha transparency for example can slow things down as it requires additional calculation, so sometimes we have to limit things on slower hardware, things that aren't vital to gameplay usually like effects.
I'm not sure what commands are there to return the available memory.
The code is dark and full of errors
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2017 19:07
Quote: "so it really is both, and neither at the same time."

I aways knew you were ahead of the game with development, but I didn't know you were using quantum techniques!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2017 22:56
GPUs were originally created to handle 3D. Nowadays, they are capable of doing a lot of things, but 3D was their main purpose.
So, roughly speaking, if your app does a lot of 3D calculations, it will run smoothly on a system with a powerful GPU.
If your app does a lot of complex calculations, like pathfinding for example, it will run fast on a system with a powerful CPU.

Sprites and particle systems are also based on 3D, so if you do a lot with "2D" sprites, a fast GPU will come in handy.

The main difference between a CPU and a GPU is the architecture. A CPU has some cores which can handle complex operations. A CPU also has interrupts and virtual memory, which a GPU lacks.
A GPU has hundreds or even thousands of cores, which can handle simple operations like matrix calculations ( which are essential for 3D ).

Here's a link that explains the difference pretty good:
https://superuser.com/questions/308771/why-are-we-still-using-cpus-instead-of-gpus

Cheers,
PSY
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Quell Dieu
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Genres: Action, MOBA, FPS, Fighting, TBS, RTS, Puzzle.
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 11:33
i have a question!

can you use tier1 and tier2 in one game???
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2017 12:45
Unfortunately not Quell - the AppGameKit IDE only supports basic.

Unless you can quantum leap like me, into other dimensions where AppGameKit tier 1 is C++, and tier 2 is Welsh. Seriously though, being able to mix C++ functions and classes with AppGameKit tier 1 would be great!
The code is dark and full of errors
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 14th Mar 2017 01:36
Quote: "Unless you can quantum leap like me, into other dimensions where AppGameKit tier 1 is C++, and tier 2 is Welsh. Seriously though, being able to mix C++ functions and classes with AppGameKit tier 1 would be great!"

Well I mean it's actually not impossible. We have the entire source code for the AppGameKit Player, so you can hack the player to interpret the .byc file commands differently than intended. I forget who did this, but I think they used the technique to integrate some third party analytics platform maybe? Might have been CJB, not sure.

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok...thanks...i got it now
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2017 00:07 Edited at: 15th Apr 2017 00:09
ON PC at least and Tier 1 you are almost certainly going to hit CPU issues first.
This is primarily due to:

a) no multi-threading
b) interpreted code
c) most GPUs are grossly overpowered for whatever we are going to shove at them unless we use strange/large textures, overly complex models etc. Not only that, but with shaders, you can harness a lot more power at the GPU and negate some of the problems from a) and b)

Mobile devices are extremely varied and have fast evolving capabilities.
PC is more mature / stable - although you can't go assuming everyone has £1000 GPUs either.

I actually like the restrictions (if that's the right word) of tier 1, as it forces you to be innovative or at least conservative. Reminds me of the good old days!
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2017 03:18
Use AppGameKit T1 for fast management and for everything visual use as much shaders as possible.
=> You will always get good stats.

Just try not to overload your AppGameKit T1 code with visual calculations,
keep it simple and you will win.

[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:49:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:49:02