Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Can a (linux) cloud server run a (AppGamKit) Server.exe ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
E.g.

if I would purchase a small cloud server @ digitalocean -
this would be a linux server - can I still run a *.exe there ?

or would i have to get a windows server to run it ?
NGP
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 18:56
Developing with AppGameKit on Linux will give you an executable file which runs on another Linux PC, provided the necessary system files are present (see AGK documentation). That's standard and I do this flawlessly on a vanilla install of Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit) running on a basic laptop. AppGameKit downloaded from Steam.
This may also help: Link to article

The program you make consists of a binary (equivalent to a Windows .EXE) and some asset files in the 'Media' folder (e.g: sound files, fonts and graphics).

In theory, this can run on a "server", as that can be anything from a Raspberry Pi, to a home PC, to a blade in a server farm. If you are the "owner" or system admin on that server, you're in control. You already have the necessary skills and access.

However, you are not the owner if you just rent space with a hosting plan! I'd guess that hosted plans will be far trickier to work with - You'd need to discuss it directly with the specific host.

Your main topic will be privileges and network access!

It's up to you how your unique program functions online, via the code you write. I haven't used any networking features in my own projects, so my knowledge ends right there.

Best of luck. Feel free to share what you find out, it would be useful to know!

(Also "welcome"!)
AGK Linux user.
Tessellatus - a game of chance for Android.
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the detailed reply & warm welcome -
i guess my thread was a bit misleading -
i am developing on windows and was curious about whether the *.exe might run on a linux server, because most low-priced hosting cloud server plans are based on linux.

NGP
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 20:10
Had a quick scan of the forums for Linux threads.

Found some old but interesting and relevant posts, suggesting that you *can* achieve the desired result. Looks like hassle to me:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/196585
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/205973

On balance, if you want the easiest life, it may be best to look into Windows hosting. Then everything is on the same platform and you can eliminate "cross-platform compatibility" from your list of headaches.

If you do wish to run on Linux (yes, join us!), you'd be wise to install it on a spare laptop and put AppGameKit on there. (Or install it next to Windows on your PC and dual boot.) Then you can just copy and paste your AppGameKit project folder from Windows, via USB stick or whatever, compile it on Linux and hey presto, now you have a Linux executable from code written on Windows. Proceed as per previous post.

Just some ideas. Hope that helps!

AGK Linux user.
Tessellatus - a game of chance for Android.
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 20:29 Edited at: 16th Mar 2017 20:30
I thought about something like that as well - placing a desktop pc beside my laptop to use as a server instead of a hosting plan -
but for now i have to get back in to basics before developing a WoW competitor
- my mind is a bit rusty and my knowledge a bit limited, because i have been out of programming for like twenty years
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2017 19:18 Edited at: 17th Mar 2017 19:21
Dual boot setups can be a pain, cleanest and easiest approach if you are primarily using Windows but want a Linux development environment: install VMware Workstation Player on windows then install Ubuntu as a guest virtual machine.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:04:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:04:03