Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Game Development World Championship & AppGameKit

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2017 10:58
The Game Development World Championships (GDWC) are back for 2017 and The Game Creators are delighted to be partnering with them to create a special award category for all games built in AppGameKit.

GDWC is an annual on-line, free to enter competition for indie game developers, game development students and anyone interested in game development. There are two main categories:

PRO (game developers that are developing commercial games or have a goal of developing them for the sake of profit and running a company)
HOBBY (students, game development hobbyists, solo developers and other such developers) – and you can apply for either categories with as many games as you wish.

The Game Creators Award is open to all GDWC entrants whose games are built in AppGameKit and offers a cash prizes of:

1st Place Winner $500
2nd Place Winner $200
3rd Place Winner $100
Places 4th to 10th - $50 each

The winners will also have their game featured and promoted by The Game Creators.

AppGameKit is a powerful game development engine, ideal for Hobbyist and Indie developers where you can choose to code in the easy to learn AppGameKit BASIC or use their libraries in C++ & XCode. Then write your code once and deploy easily to multiple mobile & desktop platforms.

If you don’t already own AppGameKit then it’s available to all GDWC entrants at 50% off the usual price when ordered direct from the GDWC website (once you have enrolled into the competition).

To register and enter the competition visit thegdwc.com – entries close on the 30th of September.
Development Director
TGC Team
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 22nd Mar 2017 11:16
Awesome news, I hope to see TGC do well with AGK
It says finalists are sent to Finland and Sweden to meet with game companies, which is a fantastic chance for anyone out there but what happens if you cant attend, does that mean forfitting prize etc
fubar
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2017 10:36
"Enroll now and get a 50% discount off AppGameKit engine. AppGameKit team will also provide additional prizes to the ten best AppGameKit games!"... I hate to see AppGameKit described as an engine.

Great to see cash prizes on offer!
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2017 16:26
Shame its games only. Would be better if it was any type of App. There is a section for Hobbies but it doesn't seem to include non-gaming hobbies !
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2017 17:22
Nice!!

Gonna give it a go if time permits.
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2017 17:19
We will be entering the competition with our first release of SmurlyTheGame Part One https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219273
Which was 100% written in Native AppGameKit Tier1.
Check it out.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 04:27 Edited at: 4th Jun 2017 03:30
Looks good Abiz

My Entry

They are all ideas on the agenda atm not sure which will be done or the order in the way they will be done. but
allot of it depends on what assets I can produce or purchase cheaply
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2017 00:27
The GDWC link allows you to register
It says you have to submit entries via the Viope Learning Environment but weeks later and still havent received the email on how to enter
with the links etc. Not sure if its just my email or something as I have today received an advertising email from them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
fubar
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2017 00:33
Is this spam?? happy to receive but nothing In return!!!

Is this GDWC a genuine thing then TGC ?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2017 01:27
Definitely not spam damo TGC is playing a big part in it

got it sorted submitted via the https://www.viope.com/#!/
fubar
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 6th Apr 2017 11:36 Edited at: 6th Apr 2017 11:37
Submitted Na4 Took me a while to figure out how to submit it but. There aren't any links on the GDWC site to viope where you submit it from [at I could find]

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
MattHogan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2017 07:49
In this competitive world, it is very difficult to get the top position in game development. Winning the championship award shows the ability of the company to gain to this position.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2017 10:28 Edited at: 7th Apr 2017 10:40
I've just enrolled.
I've been wanting to write a "Defender" style game for a while. This is my incentive

FYI: I got a confirmation email straight away. So maybe those that didn't should consider re-enrolling?
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2017 11:37 Edited at: 7th Apr 2017 11:44
@scraggle: There's already an AppGameKit defender clone out there: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/212460 but no harm in making more

I just registered. I chose the hobbyist option... do the cash prizes still apply?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2017 11:44
Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty good clone.
I have no intention of writing a clone though. I want to write something inspired by the style of game-play. What I have in mind will be unrecognisable from the original but will have vaguely familiar elements - protect the people from aliens that try to get them to the top of the screen. Other than that it will be very different!
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2017 16:55 Edited at: 27th Sep 2017 18:57
I just enrolled
I'll submitting Slice Wise
Can one change the entry after submitting ?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2017 07:25
nice work janbo
fubar
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2017 08:13
Quote: "Can one change the entry after submitting ?"

It says you can make as many entries as you like. So changing one won't be an issue.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 08:44
Get your entries in this week! The closing date is 30th of September!
Development Director
TGC Team
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2017 01:48
Just curious when the AppGameKit finalists will be announced

Certainly some fantastic entries this year ive been following the audience votes
fubar
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2017 08:03
Hi,

We'll announce these early next week.
Development Director
TGC Team
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 10:55
janbo I loved your slice wise the whole concept was very original
It definitely would've been my pick so congratulations with your first place prize
fubar
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 11:29
The winners are all announced HERE

Well done to all who entered.

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 13:04
Congrats to all the winners!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 21:15
Congrats Janbo. That was a great game. Congrats to all the other winners too, well done
FoX_MoLdY
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Congratulations to all the winners!

Why only six, though? Wasn't this supposed to be a top ten?
Rootton Endeavours - http://games.roottonhigh.com/
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 07:57
@FoX_MoLdY - there were only six games marked as being developed with AppGameKit! Others could have won a prize if they had entered.
Development Director
TGC Team
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 09:19
Oh, I have forgotten to mark my game as developed with AppGameKit :-P It is Pixel Killers - The Showdown. How should I have marked it? I might be ready with another game next year, then I will mark that one
13/0
FoX_MoLdY
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
...Huh. I entered Penguins vs. Bugs in this, indicated in the entry text (as well as the app itself) that it was made with AppGameKit, and didn't see any other way to mark it as such. Maybe it got disqualified for some other reason. (Incidentally, if anyone does want to try my game, there are still some Google Play codes in the Showcase thread: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219897)
Rootton Endeavours - http://games.roottonhigh.com/
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 08:08
Hi guys, if as you say, entered the competition and the team at GDWC failed to notice your games were AppGameKit entries then I'll award you each with one of the remaining places. I'll just check with the team at GDWC to see why these missed these.

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 12:43 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 12:51
@RickV - Mine is not marked as developed with AppGameKit :-(

EDIT: However, the current development version have the "Made with AppGameKit" logo included in startup. It will be in the next update on Steam (along with a major update on the way you can play the game).
13/0
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2017 21:35
Congratulations to the winners.

Strange, I did mark Rush to Adventure as made with App Game Kit.

I don't know what happened to my submission as I never got a confirmation and they never replied to any questions before then either.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 08:36
@Cybermind @FoX_MoLdY @Digital Awakening - due to GDWC's poor reporting of who entered games into the AppGameKit category when we came to review the entries I was not aware of your games. This was out of my control and has only come to light after the winners were announced. The best I can do is to offer you the prizes for 7th, 8th and 9th ($50 each). Please email me direct and I'll organise your payments. If we ever do a competition with another company I'll be sure to insist that our category is managed and submitted by TGC. Leaves a bad feeling this, I'm sorry it got messed up.
Development Director
TGC Team
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 16:34
Not your fault Rick. Their submission system was really weird and their support was really bad, I saw a lot of unanswered questions on their forum.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 09:05 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2017 09:07
Congrats to all, well deserved!

I agree with everyone who has said that the submission process on the GDWC site was exceptionally poor and buggy. Instead of a standard form it was as if submitting a school assignment. Parts of it were still labeled as GDWC 2016 which added to the confusion and there was no activity on the forum in weeks/months and no designated way to mark your app for a specific category. I guess more activity occurred on their Facebook page but that was not something i checked until afterward. Also the site kept causing errors and submissions would not go through most of the time. I didn't fully grasp their "Audience Vote" and "Bonus Stage" concepts, either.

This competition was also open to all types of games under development, including those that had been in-progress for many years. I've always preferred competitions that announce a very specific theme and require all development to occur after that point, to better even the playing field.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 14:21
Agrees not your fault Rick, the submission process could've been better designed, especially for this type of competition. But I found it a valuable learning curve and I believe that's
really why most of us program. The activity on facebook was better and there suggestions to places like 2 dogs etc to get game improvement ideas etc all contributed to the
learning experience. I still think it was a positive thing for the AppGameKit community as it encouraged more uses to use our tools. I'm unaware if the figures have shown TGC to
benefit for its costs spent but I'm thankful for the experience thanks Rick.

To all the people who designed entrees your already winners
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:28:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:28:13