Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / any shader for northern lights/aurora borealis

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
noticed some very interesting shader threads around here. dont know much of anything about shaders but got interested in having one for producing aurora borealis / northern lights style effect on a background sky sprite.

examples from about 1:25 onward in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVsONlc3OUY

tried the shaders from the community shader thread. some really nice ones there but not this. at one point the top part of the "flames" shader seemed a bit in the direction but no.. ? :-|

any shader expert feel like giving a hand and cook something up for me?

janbo
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 23rd Mar 2017 10:27 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2017 11:43
I have never seen northern lights in games, although it's a very nice effect
Many things you make with shaders can also be made with particles in some way and I imagine that this is one of them.

I write my thoughts down here, in the case someone else want to try it or I'll come back and try it myself when I have more time as this could be hard if done right.
So I would either tinker with a sphere as a second sky layer and something volumetric, but I never dived into that.
Or !! make a Trail out of planes with a vertex distortion shader and make some magic with a transparent pixel shader.
I would distort the vertices with perlin noise function so they snake around a bit and maybe pass it to the pixel shader so it fades away sometimes.

Using AGKv2 Tier1
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2017 11:38
Aurora borealis? At this time of year? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your IDE?

Can I see it?
I work full-time making games in AGK2 and DBpro. Living the dream!
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2017 13:26 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2017 13:27
Quote: "Can I see it?"

Might be hard in Australia. Never been there so no idea but I am guessing its not the place for the northern lights . But if someone comes up with the effect you certainly can..

@janbo would be really cool if you could give it a go. I figured there might be other ways as well but can't really think of a good one.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2017 12:04
I work full-time making games in AGK2 and DBpro. Living the dream!
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Hah. Totally missed that. But could make a nice game scene..
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2017 10:27 Edited at: 27th Mar 2017 10:28
Quote: "Aurora borealis? At this time of year? In this part of the country? "

Not for you!
For you, it's the Aurora Australis you want to be looking for
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:54:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:54:45