Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK RoadMap : AppGameKit Studio

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was a little confused with this part ...

The new AppGameKit Studio provides a Windows styled GUI where you can visually drag & drop, scale and move 2D media for your AppGameKit projects.

Is it going to be a Windows only application?
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2017 16:43
The AppGameKit Studio will be cross platform. We will develop the Windows version first but it should be very quick to make it work on Mac & Linux.
Development Director
TGC Team
Midget Blaster
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
@RickV Is there any more information available about this?
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 20:29
Is it will be just a new version of "Placement Editor"?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 08:35
If I had to take a guess, I would imagine Baxslash's editor may become the new visual editor
It would be a very good choice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 09:00
So idk if this is the right place to put this.... But is tgc going in the right direction with this? I get that a common complaint is the lack of a visual editor (just read all the reviews on steam, it's in every second negative review). But does this real lly mean tgc should go for it?
At the moment, agk is competing with the likes of Corona SDK, cocos2d and other libs. Going for a visual agk will mean it's competing with GM:Studio, Construct 2, and even Unity.
I don't feel that's a battle agk can win. I get the impression the bad reviews are mostly by people who want a low effort tool to make games who should have just installed GM: studio or Construct 2 in the first place.
Agk is brilliant at what it is currently. An easy solution to code cross platform games. Nothing else even comes close to the ease of coding and deployment of agk.
By trying to appeal to the entirely different demographic of GM:Studio users, tgc will be spreading themselves a bit thin imo...

On the other hand, a lot of users here seem to be a lot more positive than me about the prospect of a visual editor... So maybe I'm just wrong on this.
Whaddayallthink?

My Games - Latest WIP - My Website: Immortal.Digital - FB - Twitter
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 10:50
Hi,

The AppGameKit Studio will work alongside the IDE. You call it up and it'll pick up your media folder. It will then allow you to position, scale, rotate media in a visual scene area. You can then click on an item and set the properties of it. We're still early on with the development of it so don't want to share too much just yet. Paul remains on the main engine so don't think this will be a distraction.

More info to come later on!

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
I could really use a nice visual editor for building menu screens, platformer levels, rooms, etc. Looking at release of GM:S2 and the shiny videos about it, I can definitely see how such a studio would make a lot of work much faster and easier. Also for collaborating with others who are maybe a bit less programming oriented. I haven't actually tried any version of GM, it is too expensive for me right now, so don't really know how well those things work in practice. Generally a more integrated experience would be nice. Starting with just the basic ability to manage my media stuffs within the IDE.

If Paul remains on the main engine, I am definitely looking forward to the AppGameKit Studio stuffs. I would expect it not to take away from AppGameKit but rather just to make a lot of the boring work of setting pixel positions, managing media, etc. easier.

Maybe people could share a bit about how they build (tools etc) their game GUIs, levels, etc. currently? I am sure there are plenty of great options I have just missed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 07:13:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 07:13:29