Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / shooter 1.0 DBC arcade style 3D facial shoot'em up release

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 20:08 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 07:36
Hi there, it took me YEARS ...

Once upon a time I bought a joystick and searched for an arcade style game, something like that afterburner game I used to spend coins in back in my youth.
I could not find it, so I focused on creating it.

Of course it can be played with the mouse/keyboard but you will take more fun with a force feedback joystick.

Darkbasic is a very open sandbox where the imagination can be free and the hard side is to contain ourself to what can be done in an affordable amount of time.
Shooter 1.0 is not the game of the year, not a blockbuster made by a team of 400 people, not the new zelda...
It's been made by an individual alone in his chair in front of his PC screen.

Working alone on such a project requires a lot of passion as so mmany people kept telling me "find a real job" or why don't you add this or that to the game...

I have kept the project in DBC and did not move to DB Pro as I wanted to master DBC before moving to the next level.
I hope I will be able to afford spending time on the DB Pro features that wasn't there, simple things like alpha channel, or to enhance my future graphics projects with normal maps...

Shooter 1.0 can be downloaded on my website:

http://www.cyrilbuffet.com

If you can share on Facebook it would help a lot

https://www.facebook.com/Shooter3D

Shooter 1.0 is free and I would like it a lot if a maximum of people could play.
I will manage to give the info in video games magazines in France, but for the other countries it would be very helpful if you could send me the e-mails of journalist that you can find somewhere in those magazines so that I can contact them.

Have fun playing shooter

cyril@cyrilbuffet.com
feel free to visit my web site
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 00:49
Can you post a video? I recommend BandiCam but a lot of people use FRAPS.
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
highwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 09:50 Edited at: 4th May 2017 11:08
There you can watch the demo vidéo of Shooter on youtube:
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 15:39

Awesome.... I'll skip the 3d facial though... sounds kinda gross.
There's a tag for youtube vids here, by the way. Kinda convenient. Anyway...
highwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 12:40
Give it a try it would be nice if I could have some user feedback,
thank you

cyril
highwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 16:41
There comes some screenshots of the game.

sunset inner view:

sunset outer view:

when you drop a bomb and it destroys everything:

the game has got 9 stage:

the first stage focus on learning how to fly and shoot, then it gets harder and harder:

when you cannot see much outside of the car's lights:

after the crab invasion and the night, the king of the crabs is the first boss:

on stage 8 the second boss is a dragon whom strenght depends on your score:

when you try to reach the finish line after the 20 minutes of the game:

the arcade style high score system:
highwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2017 11:15
here is a short walkthrough of the game
Attila
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
nice
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 02:20
Finally, I know how to get rid of those crabs!
highwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 09:12
Now try to defeat their king and my dragon : )
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2017 03:36
Dragon?!?!?! Is this an update?

Man I was just getting used to having these crabs all over me!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2017 04:38 Edited at: 8th Jul 2017 04:41
Just checked it out... I will say the same thing the game told me a few times...

Not too bad!

Here is my feedback...

* Add a shadow beneath the car because it is very difficult to tell how far away I am from actually hitting the ground

* I think it would feel a little better if it was just a bit faster moving (all around as in both moving through the level and the controller movement). Not a major amount like double speed or something insane like that but maybe like 10% to 20% faster.

* You've done most of the hard work already... you have the game play in... the level designed, the targets, enemies, controls, collisions, etc... now take some time to have nothing but fun just jacking everything up with intense feedback:
.... Big explosions when something is destroyed
.... Consider adding particle FX for things blowing up. They are an easy way to add some nice visual interest and provide satisfying feedback from destroying things
.... Add more sound FX... possibly a different sound for hitting different object types as well as destroying different object types
.... Get some background music in there... something that is a good thumping, rocking intense sounding tune but keep the volume on it low enough to not drown out the sound fx
.... Consider making some kind of alarm noise when the player is about to collide with the ground. Basically any thing you can do to provide feedback to the player is good thing because it helps to immerse them into the game world.

Overall congrats for sticking with it and getting this far. If you focus on some additional feedback and making the presentation more lively it will make a big difference. Plus it is a lot of fun to mess around adding that stuff anyway.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
highwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2017 12:42 Edited at: 24th Aug 2017 12:46
@derek darkly
dragon... reache the end of stage 8...

@garbenjamin : thanks a lot for your feedback, I had a deadline to release v1.0 to enter the indiecad game festival so I couldn't give more time to improve the project... also remember shooter 1.0 is a DBC project not DBpro so many features like particles and vfx are pretty hard to implement in dbc.
I will try to make a v2 or enhanced v1.0 using DBpro in the future, including most of your advices, but first I wanted to master DBC.
To give you some more precise responses to your feedback I will go step by step :

"* Add a shadow beneath the car because it is very difficult to tell how far away I am from actually hitting the ground"
hum... don't hit the ground, your shield will turn red when you hit the ground so that you know you are dying, also cast shadows would have been nice but hard to deal with maybe I could have done it for the car only but all the other 3d objects would have been jealous not to have their shadow too...and as the sun move in the sky then the moon then however it would have disappeared in the night part of the game... so I decided not to cast shadows also as it would have been much resource consuming and would have eliminated some weak PCs...

"* I think it would feel a little better if it was just a bit faster moving (all around as in both moving through the level and the controller movement). Not a major amount like double speed or something insane like that but maybe like 10% to 20% faster."
shure, you are not the first to tell me about the speed which seems slow on the first stage, try to use the first stage of the game to train your flight skills and to learn how to shoot precisely as the challenge increase fast, then you won't find the game too slow as you reach the next stages where targets are everywhere and shooting at you : ) the game can be hard as the difficulty raise so challenge it then you will hear sounds like "excellent" or "impressive"...

"*..."
want big explosion : get bombs... but take care as bombs will destroy you too not just the enemies...
about music I had some ideas, MIDI but it would make the game sound like in the 80's and I didn't want that... , making a music mix with what I listened to when i was working on that project but there was a copyright problem and I am not much of a musician myself to create my own music or I would need a lot of time, also music files are huge in size so the best solution would have been to generate it on the flow using small loops acting like a techno beat through a dedicated subprogram... or I could have linked to an online music file on the internet...
Use your own music in the background lol
Your alarm noise before colliding the ground is a very good idea, I hope I will be able to improve the game in many ways as I had to discard many ideas on the way like adding a second player or to let the player continue the game by foot on the ground when the car is destroyed....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 15:19:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 15:19:03