Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Classification of Games by Game Developers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey there!

I have a question for you guys: how would you go about classifying a game you developed?

I’m a student at the Illinois Institute of Technology and I’m looking for your help. We're running an online research study to develop a measure of game experience, and we're looking for input from game developers on game definitions. I was hoping you would be willing to take part in the study by responding to our 15-minute survey. It's all fully confidential, and I would be more than happy to provide you further details or answer any questions about my research and this study on this topic thread.

Survey Link: https://iitresearchrs.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5pZK3z7ZkG9AQsZ

You may find it surprising (or not, probably not) that academicians haven't figured a "proper" way to classify games, so game developer input is very appreciated. You guys contribute to science. Thank you!

Although I would like a response to the survey, I'd also love a discussion on the matter here on the forums!

Best,
Green
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 12:25
The survey didn't seem to have anything to do with classifying video games or their definitions. After asking the usual personal data (age, marriage status, education), all it asked was how much I play each genre. Which I fail to see how this will help you classify anything as it appears it's already been done since each genre provided examples of each.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Greendude123
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks to all who participated! We've stopped data collection, and gotten a lot of valuable feedback from you guys.

Despite the end of data collection, I'd still welcome any questions you may have about the study, or any input you guys have on game taxonomy.

Phaelax, yes, preliminary definitions have been drawn up and examples provided. However, we needed to verify them with subject matter experts. The feedback resulted in considerable changes! We're very fortunate now to know how to define the games better. There weren't only questions asking for play frequency; there was a large section at the end asking for feedback and suggestions on game types and their definitions.

Best,
Green

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:02:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:02:47