Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / New toy!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2017 20:02 Edited at: 15th Apr 2017 20:03
For a geek anyway.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2017 20:29
16 Terrabytes
Are you hosting the interweb?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2017 21:16 Edited at: 15th Apr 2017 23:11
Couldn't fit the pron on a floppy disk anymore, figured I'd upgrade...

I'm currently running two Buffalo systems, both are using raid 1. One only has 1TB of space, the other allows 2TB. I'm going to replace both of those with this qnas system in a raid 10 for 8GB (7.25 usable). And then I can start digitizing my movie library.

I'm still uneasy about how much I just spent for some storage, but qnas gets top reviews and it was on sale. It was the same price as the Buffalo 4 drive model, and though I've had great luck with their devices in the past I don't believe they support plex or other 3rd party software like qnas does.

Figures. I just checked my email and there's an ad from newegg showing 4TB WD red drives on sale.... Only $10 less than what I paid, but that's still $40 plus the sales tax on all those drives. Sonofab*.....

I wonder how long it's going to take to transfer 269GB of music?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2017 00:41
296Gb of music?

That's like 4.6^99 years worth

I was gonna suggest it was for your pron but you might have taken it the wrong way (ooer)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2017 04:43
I just found out I can push my media out to my tv, which is pretty sweet. I don't like their media browser for movies though. It doesn't display any of the info it gathers about the movie from imdb, not even the cover image of the movie. Just displays a random frame from it without a title. Makes it really hard to find what I want.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 16th Apr 2017 11:11
Quote: "296Gb of music?
That's like 4.6^99 years worth"

That's nothing, I had to switch to a 4TB hard drive when I ran out of space on my 1TB dedicated ENTIRELY to music.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 06:26
plex is very good for organizing and broadcasting your music/video/text around. works very well with a chrome dongle. you can play your media anywhere in the world as long as you have a decent internet connection
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 20:53
Quote: "plex is very good for organizing and broadcasting your music/video/text around. works very well with a chrome dongle. you can play your media anywhere in the world as long as you have a decent internet connection"

Kodi is another excellent choice. It has tonnes of features and is open-source.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 23:06 Edited at: 20th Apr 2017 23:08
Unfortunately, I can't use Kodi directly on the NAS. It is supported on newer models (probably why mine was on sale). I do have kodi on a rasp pi 3 and works fairly well. The issue I have is streaming movies from a network share. Kodi can't seem to play without buffering every few seconds. I believe it's been reported as a bug as many folks experience the same thing.

programming is ace
User Banned
Posted: 20th Apr 2017 23:21
Nothing wrong with been a geek..

Bill Gates was a geek!!!!!!!!!!!!! so don't put ourselves down
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 02:51
Yeah I'm doing the same, 4x4TB in RAID 10. I've used a number of both qnap and buffalo, qnap seems a bit more featured, but they are both solid.

I picked up a qnap ts-451+ at about half off last black friday/cyber monday, need to pick up one more disk before I fire it up, which I have budgeted for May, really looking forward to it.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 15:07
I wish i had this kind of storage!
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2017 15:34
Quote: "I picked up a qnap ts-451+ at about half off last black"

Mines the TS-431+, what's the difference? Does yours have the HD Station? (cause if so I'm jealous)

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 03:01
Mostly the cpu I think, looks like the 431+ is a 1.4ghz 2core ARM, The 451+ is a 2.0ghz 4core celeron

Max ram may also be different, a quick look around only turns up that the 431 ships with 1gb but i didn't see a definitive spec on its upgradability.

The 451 also ships with 1gb, but officially supports 8gb, and I've heard a number of people report that you can run 16gb in it successfully.

I'm not sure on the HD station to be honest.

Was the 7.25tb your actual usable space after getting the raid setup or is that an estimate? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as low as 6.5-6.7 and will be very happy to hit 7.25

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 03:05 Edited at: 26th Apr 2017 03:05
Wonky double

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 00:20 Edited at: 27th Apr 2017 00:24
I could've sworn it said 7.25 somewhere, but here's what it's showing me right now.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 09:33
I plan to buy a similar system. I want to use it as a home cloud (for mobile and tv), backup system and as svn-server. Especially the svn server is not installed on most systems. Can you install this at your system for free? I know it works on Synology devices. I do not know whether I should take qnap or synology.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Pixie-Particle-Engine
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2017 13:51
I know it has a cloud service but I haven't used it yet. As far as SVN, here's what I found https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Subversion

The firmware appears to be updated constantly. I've had 3 updates since I bought it, and the last made a few wonderful improvements. The media browser (video station) is actually usable now. TV shows finally group their episodes and seasons together, when before it was just a massive list of every show with every episode and no way to sort them. Supposedly it can transcode the files, but either I haven't figured it out or mine simply doesn't support that feature.

There are some backup tools, but I haven't used them yet.

MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2017 12:38
thanks for these infos.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Pixie-Particle-Engine
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 04:15
Wee! got mine finished up and running today. Hit the same 7.07TB usable.

The 451+ does indeed include the HD Station. The Virtualization Station is nice as well.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2017 18:09
Wish I had that model, but the 431+ was only like $279. Did you go with WD drives?

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2017 21:29
It was a black Friday / cyber Monday special so I paid about the same as you did

I went with a split of 2 WD reds and 2 Seagate ironwolf (roughly equivalent), pairing one of each in each mirror. Just a little extra insurance against a manufacturer having a bad batch.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2017 23:40
Ugh, lucky! I bet yours does transcoding too!

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2017 07:27
It does, but mostly limited to DVD rips. It chokes and stutters on BluRay videos, but that's not a big loss those take up too much space anyway and isn't needed for streaming to a phone or tablet. When I want HD on the main tv, I'll just play the disc.

I've got about 1/3 of my movie collection loaded up so far, along with music and photos, I've used up about a TB.

I had been running Plex on my desktop, but don't keep it on all the time. I've now got this moved over to the NAS and I'm looking at setting it up as a VPN server sometime this week.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2017 00:57
What format are you ripping your movies to? Since mine doesn't support transcoding, I've been deciding what format would give me the best quality but is supported in HTML5 video tags. I building my own custom plex-like app, MyFlix.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 14:54
At first I was going with .mkv, straight from MakeMKV: good quality, played without transcoding on android ios and roku, and it retained embedded (not burned in) sub titles that could be toggled on and off.

My wife and I like to watch petty much everything with subtitles on, but like the option to turn them off when people are over, so this was a big plus.

Files are quite large though: 3gb - 8gb per dvd main title only.

Now I am encoding down to mp4 with Handbrake: similar quality with a much smaller file size, haven't seen much need for transcoding (and html5 should have no problem with it), but i lose the embedded toggleable sub titles. So I'm actually making two copies, one with subs burned in, one without. both together are still several gigabytes smaller per disk than the mkv were.

I know there are options for getting subtitles with an external file or internet sources, but they never seem to sync up quite right, and get fiddly with pause and seek.

Makes processing time getting things ripped and encoded a lot longer though even with 2 PCs working on it

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 15:40 Edited at: 14th May 2017 15:43
Oh, so my bluray player has wifi and apps for YouTube, hulu, and Netflix, so we watch petty much everything through this in the living room. Well the hulu app stopped working last year (version no longer compatible, no updates available) and last week the wifi died, flat out refuses to connect to the network, the device itself frequently locks up and has to be hard rebooted by pulling the power.

Anyway, I wanted to move the NAS over to hook up hdmi to the tv to check out the hd station as a replacement, the problem was I have no ethernet jacks in that area and the NAS doesnt have wifi.

Decided to give homeplug a try (ethernet over power line, turns a standard electrical outlet into an ethernet port) picked up a netgear power line 1200 Mbps for about $60 for a pair of endpoints (need at least 2, can add more as needed, 3, 4, 5 etc doesnt need to be in pairs)

So far it has been stable and reliable, hitting the speeds as advertised in most outlets. Distance is a factor, and one outlet in particular doesn't make a good connection, but id recommend it as a high speed wired alternative where you are not wired for ethernet

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 20:51
It's easy for me to run ethernet anywhere in my house since my floors are easily accessible from the unfinished basement. I'm buying a new house soon (which needs extensive remodeling), so I'm actually going to have rj45 jacks in each room. I'm just undecided where to have all of them run to, not sure where I want the switch yet.
I didn't even think about subtitles, and I have a lot of kung fu movies. I'm going to have to look into that. With MKV, can subtitles be toggled from html controls?

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 23:41
Not sure on html directly, i was doing in a player like plex, Windows media player, vlc, ES media player etc

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 10:33
Whoa, nice! Our NAS is about 22TB, of which 9TB is general storage, 4TB is the SnapRAID parity drive for said general storage (using Drive Bender to combine the many disks), and 9TB is whole PC backups (though sorely in need of a size increase given the number of computers we have). We use Kodi all the time (exceedingly good software!). My recommendation is to simply use the NAS purely as network storage and then run Kodi on a small, cheap computer that just accesses the NAS storage over the network.

Actually for our system I used an Arduino Uno and programmed it to read IR signals from an IR receiver, and reprogrammed the extra USB/serial chip that the Unos have (I forget what it's called) to pretend it's a keyboard, then the Uno just sends keyboard signals to the NAS when it receives IR signals from an Xbox 360 remote (the newer small black one - we happened to like the 360 remotes, could have used any old TV remote), and finally we have an Autohotkey script that translates those keyboard signals (I think they're like F13-F24 or something like that) into Kodi keyboard shortcuts. Not complicated at all
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 18:48
Quote: "My recommendation is to simply use the NAS purely as network storage and then run Kodi on a small, cheap computer that just accesses the NAS storage over the network."

I tried that with a RPI3, but ran into a little issue. Kodi has a bug with streaming media over a network share. When googling for a resolution to why my media was buffering every few seconds, I found many people having the same issue when streaming video from a network resource. Appeared to be a kodi issue and not with the raspberry. I don't recall all the details.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2017 20:24
I use the qnap qremote app on my phone, provides a number of different modes from basic 'arrows, ok, back, next' etc to mouse/ trackpad emulation and keyboard input, as well as an app quick launch home screen, really handy for the hd station

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:41:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:41:30