Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Implementing an OCR that would be in an Android/iOS app

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I want to create an app that will scan the title of cards to bring up information on those cards from a database. Problem is though that I have no idea how to implement the text recognition part. I only know the term for the function is OCR from the searching around I tried to do before asking for help. Is there anyone who can tell me what I need to know to make an OCR in my app, or how to implement an already made (Obviously open-sourced) one into my app? Would like it to be able to work both on iOS and Android.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2017 16:42 Edited at: 23rd May 2017 16:48
Hey,

Will the Cards be made by you ?
Maybe:
You can stick an NFC tag on the back
You add a QR code to the title which includes your data

If you can't change the cards:
You may look into an OCR API like the CLOUD VISION API

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2017 17:53
if you have web hosting maybe make a web api, its more easier in c# or vb.net with visual studio 2017.
then the android app using this web api with http commands.
AGK (Steam) V2017.05.15 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.4.4) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2017 19:47
if you are making the cards you could just use the QR, you can even make your own QR codes using AGK
Quote: " DecodeQRCode
EncodeQRCode"
life\'s one big game
spec= 2.6ghz, 1gb ram, 512mb gpu, directx 9.0c, dbpro and classic
Kurashi
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem is that the cards can be crowd-sourced so I don't want to make everyone place QR codes into their cards just to make it work. I'd rather be able to read the title text and work from there. I'll take a look at the Vision API, and I had never thought about something like what Markus said so I'll look into that at least to expand my knowledge. Thanks for the help everyone
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 14:31
Perhaps make a tool that the "crowd" uses to create the cards, then you can ensure each one has a QR code.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 14:11
A tool that the user would create the card in and that generates the QR code sounds like the best bet. Otherwise wouldn't you have trouble reading the card if the user puts the title in a different place, uses a different font (one with lots of curls etc.) or makes the text unreadable by your reader because the text colour and background of the card clashes? These all sound like things people would do if they had full control of the card design.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:42:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:42:17