Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone into Home Automation? Samsung Smartthings, LightwaveRF, Philips Hue etc?

Author
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2017 11:59
Hey Guys,

Anyone into home automation?

I've got a product that's almost finished which makes automating a bunch of different home automation products really easy and fun. I'm looking for some people who maybe have some home automation kit lying around and would be interested in playing around with it.

At the moment I'm enjoying making products from Samsung, Philips and LightwaveRF work together!
Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2017 20:37
That's neat! I'm not really into it per se, but I actually have been doing quite a bit of research recently on an Arduino based system for shower temperature control.

I live in an apartment, so water pressure, and hence shower temperature, isn't the most consistent. There's also the issue any shower has, of the mixing valve being far from the shower head, causing adjustments in temperature to take a couple seconds before being felt. This makes it hard to get the temperature just right! So I've been interested in having some sort of system where, there's a mixing valve right at the shower head, controlled by a servo and having a thermocouple built in for temperature measurement, connected to an Arduino. This would create a feedback loop, allowing for precise and quick adjustments to the temperature. It would have a display and buttons for interface, too.

It would also allow me to execute various temperature profiles. In another apartment I was at, my roommate had a toilet that would cycle on and off as it refilled. If I was taking a shower during that, it would cause the shower temperature to quickly fluctuate back and forth between cool and hot. Strangely, this effect was actually quite relaxing. So it would be neat to build a functionality into my contraption that would allow temperature profiles to be created and then executed.

But yeah, that's my home automation project! Only in the research phase right now, but it seems like it should actually be pretty doable.
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2017 20:50
It's those sorts of challenges that make home automation fun and interesting. Switching sockets on and off at predefined times is boring, but solving real problems is the real reason for automation.
Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
Automate your home!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2017 22:11
Quote: "but solving real problems is the real reason for automation."
For sure!
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2017 07:25
I have a samsung smart tv, but that's it. I'm trying to buy a house right now, so expect to see more automation from me in the future. I want to buy a Nest.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:57:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:57:11