Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Circular Explosion!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Remember Star Trek Wrath of Khan? The genesis explosion? It was a round, outwardly moving explosion like a ripple in a pond. I am trying to make one of those. It needs to reach about 300 pixels wide, in about 20 frames. I have just tried to draw one. I am using Corel Photo paint which has a radial draw feature, but what it doesn't do is rotate the brush. I am looking for something that would draw with a radial symetry, but at the same time rotate say 60 images of a brush so that it make a nice symetrical shape. Any ideas, or anyone want to try to draw this?

Pincho.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 15:18
well if you spent money on photoshop which is the uber 2d pixel artists tool then i could show you some fancy stuff.
yes we both came from amiga days ( actually probably before hand im a ti 99a boy yeah make your own graphics from hex values wooT!)

and deluxe paint was king but hey the university of utah / george lucas and thomas knoll couldnt be wrong with da shop ski bro.

anyway heres some options you can take to acheive that effect.

your best bet after reading this ramble is
install the w32 gimp variant http://www.gimp.org/

OR

visit www.download.com.com <- kill tha domain name creator!

in the area that says

Design Tools
Image Editing, Flash Tools, Digital Photo...

click image editing

switch the liscence agreement to freeware and choose your OS.

choose something decent like

photoplus5
OR
paint shop pro
OR
pixia

most of these packages have tools to distort the image, but hold fast to your liking to corels ugly ware just kidding, but hey never stop learning new packages or you wouldnt be asking a question like this.

anyway after slapping my rudeness down grab one of those programs and look for translate / distort / modify and alter an image from your prefered package.

now theres another program calleed canvas 6 not 3d canvas 6 its a 2d editing program

theres another one called zoner draw 3

both of these were free on a magazine ages ago and should be freeware if you know how to trawl the web.

once you get to here go back to the gimp and spend some time to learn it if your on a budget or chew the bullet and go paint shlop pro or better yet save up and get photoshop 5 or 6, anything lower is basically useless with the history pallete unless you save files in progession or want to be cash cowed with ps 6 and 7 that do basically the same things as 5 but take a few less steps.

OR
alternative links for 2d editors
http://www.gamedev.net/directory/links/category.asp?catid=12#32
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 16:11 Edited at: 18th Dec 2003 16:21
Yeah I have Photoshop but I can't find a radial draw similar to Corel Photo Paint in it.

I have decided to make my own DB program to do this. So far I have this........Sorry that I forgot to put a light in my program...

As you can see..the images are not rotated. I have 49 plains positioned in a circle. What is the maths to rotate the plains to their correct angles?

I am using this animation to make the explosion!

Thanks for any help!

Pincho.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 01:18 Edited at: 19th Dec 2003 01:19
cool mate, using DB was a smart move and shows merit
Im not sure what u mean in regards to the angle but wouldnt it be a division of the maximum divided by 360 and then the atanfull amount from this result>?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah you're right! I managed to do it in the end! It looks good, I am hoping that it looks even better transparent in the game.

Pincho.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2003 01:37
cool!, glad to be able to help
Kain the Second
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 04:25 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 04:27
i think combuston would help
http://www.discreet.com/combustion/

edit: forgot to say that it is cheap comparing to what it can do $199
that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 08:33
I like the animation. looks awsome! (I know it's a little late in the string to be posting this but better late than never!

the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 02:26:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 02:26:19