Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / 3D World Editor in AGK2 ... my current little project

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 05:37 Edited at: 28th Jul 2017 05:38
I've been thinking about making a little 3D rpg game of sorts... or an arcade action game or maybe a sort of hybrid of the two. And I thought I really need to make a...

3D World Editor

... just something very simple I can use to quickly build a simple (but nice!) game world.

Haven't worked on it much yet so there is not a lot to see but the basic functionality is all in there and indeed at this point I can use it to build a world.

I only made 3 very simple ultra low poly models at this point (and one is truly just a textured cube lol) but anyway...

And tonight (so yeah this is the current state)...

That's it for now... I just thought it had enough in it that someone might find it interesting. I thought about using the Game Guru Loader but my understanding is the process is pretty involved for that and my needs are pretty simple compared to the kind of super cool stuff you can build in Game Guru (it is an awesome world building tool IMO... and game engine as well from the little time I experimented with it a week or so ago).
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 17:52
nice work, something like this would be super beneficial. i actually thought about making my own. I like yours alot keep it up! any plans to release it?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 21:18
Now that is something I could use, nice job.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2017 22:36 Edited at: 29th Jul 2017 22:47
Glad you two find it interesting.

Well I was kind of thinking about releasing it when done. Mainly because it seems very odd to me to have a great language and api for making 3D games and not actually have any editor available to build levels / worlds with. lol

But I'm not making something super fancy and is mainly for my own needs so am not sure how useful it would be to others. I suppose it could serve as a foundation at least that can be built on though.

What I mean by that is I am not that interested in things like Skyrim with lumpy variable height terrain and so forth and just want to be able to quickly knock out a game world populated with objects. I am fine if the terrain is all flat because for me the focus would be on what is actually in that area (i.e. things to collect, baddies to avoid or engage in combat, npcs to talk to, buy from, platforms which might actually exist looking like a raised area of the terrain or could be moving, etc). Bu to get to that I first need to at least be able to define a world. And I want to be able to do that very quickly. Development speed is always a priority to me.

Anyway when it gets further long I will see about releasing it in some manner. It'll be a while because I just don't do this (game dev in my free time) that much. When I get in a mood I will jump in and spend 30 minutes to maybe an hour and a half. Then maybe 3 to 4 days will pass before I decide to do anything again.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2017 01:51
I think a fully fledged 3D editor would open AppGameKit up to the masses and would be great exposure personally I would think TGC have at least considered the idea but for small time devs like us its a tall order, I would be curious to see the code that makes it happen like you say a foundation, the 3D aspect can be quite intimidating to some users including myself I have not yet delved into that side of game programming, maybe when the winter is here I will study it a little lol
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2017 02:16
It's nice. I like the look of the world you are making as well

Something like this could turn into something big
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm toying with something similar: I'm trying to make some code so I can physically drag objects around inside VR, and automatically record their new position to a text file. Ultimately, this could enable me to design the VR world from inside the game!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:30:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:30:37