Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Setup management problems ,especially resolution and BI Mod ,Help plz ....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok ,so I wanted to try the setup.ini instructions from the Syntax List ,as it would be used to set the options for the game ,right?

I had LOTS OF PROBLEMS

1) Using "setup_..." instructions ( like "setup_antialias=x" ) doesn't work in the test level or the built game and doesn't change the values in the Setup.ini file ,whether I used "savesetup" instruction after it or not

2) The same happens when I use the instructions without the underscore (like "setupantialias=x" )

3) Using "passtosetup=x y" instruction only works with some variables in the setup.ini but not others (like it works with the "usesky" variable but not "width" or "height" variables) ,also it doesn't make a change in the game real-time (I don't know if it should but I thought I should mention that)

4) I noticed that you can't actually change any game setting AT REAL-TIME WHILE YOU ARE INSIDE THE GAME ,like you can't change the resolution or anti-alias ... etc. while in game, you have to exit the game, change the setup.ini values and then start it again ... think again, the player has to open the setup.ini and change file manually ,can you imagine that? LOL

5) Concerning the resolution, when I change "width" or "height" variables in the setup.ini, it does change the reoslution ,but the HUDs are still THE SAME SIZE!! Like If I changed the resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 ,all the HUDs get bigger! And everything really gets bad ... like the text HUDs get smaller ... I don't know what's happening here are some screens:

1024x768 resolution (works fine): https://s12.postimg.org/i3k9uhf71/1024x768.jpg

800x600 resolution (HUDs grow bigger and stick to each other ) : https://s3.postimg.org/u31s6ybf7/800x600.jpg

Like seriously, I was relieved when I knew that FPSC uses percentage to position the HUDs and I was like "well, we don't have to reposition or resize all the god damn HUDs everytime we change the resolution ,do we?!" but I was disappointed again

6) It seems Black Ice Mod or ReShade really helps in f*cking things up! .... I discovered that the setup.ini files for games that are built with the ReShade FX or Black Ice Mod LACK A LOT OF VARIABLES!! Like "aspectratio" ,"width" ,"height" .... and many others!

I am really disappointed ... it's not the first time actually but seriously , being FULLY UNABLE to implant control config/options system in a game IS REALLY KILLING ME ... And this alone can lead me to really give up the idea of ever getting into that indie game dev thing ...
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2017 05:18 Edited at: 31st Jul 2017 07:21
That's the setup.ini file ...

Note: I added "width" and "height" variables ... they were not there

Also, that's the "setuplevel.fpi" file ,just standard one ....

KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
So as not to be dead ....
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 02:37
KingMassen I played a little with this idea. yeah, with the Black Ice mod updates to HD, the screen resolution must be kept 1024 and above.
I had an older build in my folders ( like pre Black Ice) and by turning off "aspectratio=1" the background & menu button adjust fine to screen resolution.
My guess would be V1.20 might still work? But I didn't try yet. But still, the 800x600 res. is getting kinda old now? Do you really have a need for it
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 19:46 Edited at: 4th Aug 2017 14:29
I'll check it some time ... hope it works ....

What about the setup variables manipulation? The FPI 'setup_...' actions don't work ..
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2017 17:08
KingMassen
Quote: " setup variables manipulation? The FPI 'setup_...' actions don't work"

They should work? I've been using some. Are you using "passtosetup" & "savesetup" commands?
Now the "width & height" probably don't work with Black Ice, but a lot of the others should still be working.
xlghostlx
Years of Service
User Offline
width & height work perfect in my setup.ini don't know why u are getting wrong... try a fresh instal and BIM 10. 5
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 17:22 Edited at: 14th Aug 2017 17:36
@ncmako
I meant commands like 'setup_antialias=x" ,"setup_width=x" which obviously should work in real time and modify the setup.ini file when I use "savesetup" after that ,but these commands don't do anything at all

Also, the second issue is that "passtosetup=x y" works with some parameters in the setup.ini file but not others (it doesn't work with "width" or "height" ,so you can't really change the resolution) I am talking here about an already built game ...

I could make a launcher application to set settings as it seems to be the only way ,but I don't know how to make one :/ ... even if I made one using C-script (which is the only programming language I know) ,it will just modify setup.ini values ,but I want to add custom parameters (controls that are not already in FPSC , ... etc.) and there's no single command in FPI scripting that enables you to retrieve a value from setup.ini and store it in user defined variable ,which is supposed to be a very essential thing for a game development scripting system :/

@xlghostlx
It is not that they don't work ,they are not present in the first place. When I built a game and then went to the built game folder and opened "setup.ini" I couldn't find "width" or "height" and many other setup parameters! But when I add them to the setup file manually they do work but not as expected probably because I tested it with 800x600 resolution (which is pretty old ,I know) and because I set "aspectratio" to 1. But I tried higher resolutions and they still f*ck up ,maybe setting "aspectratio" to 1 was the cause of that problem originally? Still the FPI commands problem and the absence of setup parameters still persist
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 17:34 Edited at: 14th Aug 2017 17:35
... Wait a minute! I found that in Black Ice Mod 10.5 changelog ,if it explains anything .. What does it mean?

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 21:52 Edited at: 14th Aug 2017 22:20
KingMassen
Quote: " What does it mean?"

Nomad Soul said this about the native desktop resolution...
Quote: " A number of users have asked about supporting older resolutions e.g. 1024x768 or full 1080 HD so test / built games and huds now use native desktop resolution which takes care of everyone! This ensures you always have a good visual experience"

Also prior to Black Ice, your games setuplevel.fpi build used ":state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudsizex=1024,hudsizey=768"
Now with Black Ice it has changed to ":state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudglobalx,hudglobaly"
This will insure most hud's fit screen resolution, but still some issues can arise

I did some searching for an older "settings luancher" ...https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/204036
Will look around some more. I do believe S4Real may have it built into "Vishnu Packer" now ?
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 02:58 Edited at: 15th Aug 2017 02:58
But I can't find that settings launcher ,there are no links provided in the thread ...

Also, I plan to make my game protected by Vishnu Packer ,I don't want it to be open source where anyone can open the FPI scripts and edit them ,hence modify the game ,so with that said, I can't use that launcher with vishnu packer because I think it won't work ..

Also, vishnu launcher is a little trashy (it has lots of glitches) ... and I asked s4real about the extra version but he didn't respond yet :s
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 03:03 Edited at: 15th Aug 2017 03:03
Also, I still can't understand the 'native desktop res' thing :s ... this means that I don't have to set the game resolution and it will be set to that of the screen??? Is that why there are no longer "width" ,"height" in setup.ini of built games?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 10:30
KingMassen
Quote: " it will be set to that of the screen??? Is that why there are no longer "width" ,"height" "

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe so. Since other "setup.ini" variables seem to work but those settings don't
Also if you noticed in the "Launcher" thread, they added it to Vishnu. I'll send S4Real an email and ask if he still has it ???

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:54:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:54:22