Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / New linux user, Hands on AGK2 Basic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! After much deliberation I decided to get AGK2 while it was on sale (which actually said the sale stopped on the 31st of July but now it says 7th august so I needn't have panicked so much about the decision). I am delighted that this has linux support as I had been trying to wrap my head around Godot engine and for some reason it never really clicked with me too well. I have developed small games in a few engines before (stencyl, gamemaker, ctf2.5, glbasic) but I still really have no idea what I am doing so I decided to buy Hands on AGK2 Basic from digital skills. Has anyone bought from their site recently? I ordered it this morning and still don't have an email with a download link or anything, I know the site says it might take a few hours I'm just making sure I didn't buy something from a defunct company.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to working with AGK2! I've been in and out of this hobby for a couple of years trying out all the engines and languages and I really hope AppGameKit is a good fit for me. I am slightly worried about not having level editors and the like but I'm sure I will get there. Out of all the engines and languages I tried I did really like GLBasic which seems similar to this but it doesn't have an IDE for linux. Gamemaker studio was nice but that also doesn't have linux IDE (although they did tease it for GMS 2 and it never happened).

Cheers! (especially TGC for supporting linux!)
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2017 20:08
We're definitely not defunct! Your purchase response and the emails we send are all personalised - not automatic responses so sometimes you have to wait a little longer than we'd like! The details of your book download will be with you before you read this! Hope you enjoy the book.

I would also point out that the book you're buying is also sold by TGC under the title "The Official AppGameKit Tutorial Guide".
shawnh
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Alistair!
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2017 07:49 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2017 10:24
Welcome, and nice to see another Linux user. Only way to do development in comfort and style

I think you'll find AppGameKit quite capable - and once you get to grips with it you'll find it is a very effective tool for producing graphics-focused apps very quickly - for all current platforms hassle free.

I mostly do backend stuff in C# and Go, and really truly loathe the Webstack (HTML + CSS + JS + Angular/React) way of doing frontends. I won't touch it with somebody elses IDE even. So for me, AppGameKit is just perfect. VS2017/Xamarin is quite good as well, in particular if you need that native look and feel and don't mind using Win10. There are a few hoops to jump through with that particular approach to X-Platform development though. Also, it do not support exporting to Linux. Yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:55:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:55:14