Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How can i make my game less FPSC´y?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Far Cry 4
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 01:44
Hello, i am new to FPSC and i wanted to know how to make my FPSC games play better and look better (i already know about model packs).
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2017 14:12
MindKill Hi, and welcome.
Quote: " how to make my FPSC games play better and look better"

I take it your looking for better resolution & screen quality? There are several things you can do to improve the quality.
First, which version of fpsc are you using? And have to installed DX9c yet?
Most of the settings are done in the "setup.ini" in your main directory. Lighting is most important and must
be done carefully. Here is a link to member "Wolf" tutorial on proper lighting and quality settings...
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/186371
"lightmapquality=x" is most important for a good effect.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 6th Aug 2017 20:37
I have been using FPS Creator for 13 years, and I still dont have a very good answer to that(!) But create Your own segments is a good start. And make up a plan before You draw the levels, make a story that is diffrent from the "normal" and follow the storyline from beginning to the end...
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 02:56 Edited at: 14th Aug 2017 03:14
You'll have to learn about post processing and shaders, without them you won't be able to get very far.

Here's some screenshots from old and irrelevant (cancelled) projects of mine.

I do an intensive use of shaders in all the projects i've directed so far, visually, I think that the render is somewhat close to what Unreal 3 was capable of.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 04:22
Main way to go is via proper scripting. Wait for a personal WIP that I am doing that is primarily focused on gameplay and not so much on aesthetics. I will be posting it within this week (or maybe even today).

@Madcow I remember that project (although I have forgotten it's name).
2S!K
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Working on "This Is Home" an FPSc project
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 06:53
When you export your game be sure to open up the setup.ini file and add this:
width=1920
height=1080
to the [GameDebug] section....works miracles.

Unfortunately it is very troublesome to get a better resolution in the stock editor but this will polish your finished game.
As always, Game on! -2S!K Productions
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 10:08
Is there any way to change the movement? It's always been so stiff in fpsc.
I tried to write a script to add acceleration and headbobing but couldn't figure out how to do it.
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 10:59
I have sampled a script pack which I will be releasing on later after some refining and cleaning up. Till then you can use these scripts (attach them to a triggerzone or dynamic entity). Mind you, they aren't perfect due to some engine hard-coding.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 13:23
Thanks Mriganka for the scripts.
Can you give an example of how multiple scripts should be implemented or are they attached to multiple zones/entities?
Will you be releasing the referenced audio files as well?
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 17:19
Quote: "You'll have to learn about post processing and shaders, without them you won't be able to get very far."

Dont agree! With only good FX and shaders You wont win the Players hearts. Its all in the story.. I use very little shaders and so did Max Payne. Good shaders doesnt mean good graphics...

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 17:22
@xplosys I will be releasing the audio files as well as they are distributed under Creative Commons. I am starting a WIP within this week (end) and will be releasing the scripts too (have a bit of cleaning up to do).
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 18:05
I think custom assets are what make good FPSC projects stand out. Visually most FPSC games look the same especially with Model Pack 9+10 weapons.
The model packs are cool and all and, the community work was fantastic, but it makes ever FPSC game instantly recognisable as one and shows a lack of creativity.

Beyond Life feels unique because the level geometry is so much more unique than the standard square corridors. And that was a decade ago.
I think Wolf was one of the few other FPSC developers to make unique content for his games that I can remember.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 21:07 Edited at: 14th Aug 2017 21:09
How can i make my game less FPSC´y?

What are the things that make it FPSC´y?

Models, sounds, graphics, AI, menus, etc, etc, etc.
All of those things can be changed and more, but then you won't be using FPSC to make a game. You'll be making the game and using FPSC as the engine.
If you're experienced in 3d modeling, graphics, audio, game making in general, then you have a great toolbox to use. Otherwise, these are some of the thing you'll need to learn to make your game.
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2017 23:30 Edited at: 14th Aug 2017 23:34
Quote: "Dont agree! With only good FX and shaders You wont win the Players hearts. Its all in the story.. I use very little shaders and so did Max Payne. Good shaders doesnt mean good graphics..."

Shaders for gaming usage weren't a mainstream thing back in 2001 when Max Payne came out. Post Processing can really help to set an ambiance these days, my released games would be pretty boring to watch without this. Same goes for the shaders, it really does add a more serious flavour to the game you're making, I'll be tempted to say that it's a crucial thing to do during the making of a FPSC Game, because they look very amateur-ish and bland without it.

(Think about all those worthless games made from blocky maps and stock characters, polluting Steam)
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 08:20
Quote: "(Think about all those worthless games made from blocky maps and stock characters, polluting Steam)"

Yeah! But many of these games use many shaders as well, shaders are often very overrated, timeconsuming, framerate consuming. If You have a big team, then so use them, otherwise forget about the shaders. I have been making games for 35 years, so I shourld have some point in this...
Made 3 levels in three years, and most models I have made myself, because the modelpacks most often dont have the quality...

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 09:49
Shaders make the game look nice, but I doesn't stop it from looking like an fpsc game if you're using stock assets everywhere.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 14:50
Quote: "
Made 3 levels in three years, and most models I have made myself, because the modelpacks most often dont have the quality..."

So far I have not seen anything from you in any way even remotely superior to FPSC's modelpacks.

The postprocessing shaders are certainly important for mood. What makes a game unbearable FPSC'y, as you put it, is clunky movement, overly rectangular level design, stiff weapon animations and terrible basic sound. Here you need to do a lot of tweaking.

-Wolf
\"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!\" - Rick Bamber
2S!K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 17:30 Edited at: 1st Sep 2017 17:31
I find it amusing that Mindkill has not replied, has he lost interest in fpsc?
So every one kinda got carried away with the usual talk with advanced shaders and custom media, but what alot of you dont realize its not necessary.
Although it is nice to have these things and makes your game distinguishable in our little community, players outside the gamecreators have never seen these models and games.
There has only been a few actual games published and even those didnt get great recognition outside of this community.
So I suggest not only for Mindkill but every to not worry so much on making sure everything looks like a big blockbuster game but instead just get something nice and playable out to the market.
If you want perfection then use a different development engine and I hope you have a large development team.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 20:11 Edited at: 1st Sep 2017 20:14
Quote: "So far I have not seen anything from you in any way even remotely superior to FPSC's modelpacks."

Do You really think the modelpacks are good, (Just a few maybe, but the rest) Then You really cant model... Your taste of what looks good might be a little bit diffrent from Mine!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2017 21:24 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2017 17:22
Quote: "
Do You really think the modelpacks are good,"

A lot of them are, especially the work by Bond1 and Errant AI aswell as Simon Benge. Others not so much

As far as me not being able to model. I've sold on numerous plattforms, including this pack and there are entire games made out of my content.
This being my most recent pack.
Quote: "Your taste of what looks good might be a little bit diffrent from Mine!"

That is likely, especially after seeing you talk like this to Madcow ,who has a decent grip on visual quality, speaking from a position of undeserved authority.

LINK

I can only assume that this is the quality you are developing? It is not bad, but its a far cry from anything the other FPSC veterans here are able to produce so maybe dial back your tone to be fitting to the mediocrity you can create??

-Wolf
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 20:26
Quote: "I can only assume that this is the quality you are developing? It is not bad, but its a far cry from anything the other FPSC veterans here are able to produce so maybe dial back your tone to be fitting to the mediocrity you can create?? "

Whats wrong with You Man? Have I ever said that what I am doing is the best around? "It is not bad" How the h-ll do You know what I am doing anyway? (All You know its from a few screenshots(!))
2S!K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 20:38
-Has left the conversation.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2017 16:45
Chill guys. Chill. Have a cold one. And go here to find the solution!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 19:59 Edited at: 5th Sep 2017 00:37
Quote: "Whats wrong with You Man? "

I don't know!

I'm sorry buddy, I have read something into your posts that wasn't there and overreacted.
Maybe the somewhat dismissive tone towards the modelpack artists whom I know most of. I was greatly out of touch and I apologize!
I was way outta line.

-Wolf
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 06:25 Edited at: 5th Sep 2017 15:50
Well, that's true that certain model packs from a certain artist (I wont call names to avoid a flamewar) are indeed a ripoff, I still find amazingly bad surprises when I use them, the fact is that most of his models are so bad that they can barely be used as distant scenery elements, and it makes me wonder if TGC even cared a bit about QA. (The price doesn't excuse everything, most if not all model packs were of awesome quality for 10 bucks)
Internet Thug.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 21:01
Its okay Wolf, it can happen the best, and it does...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:09:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:09:23