Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Thinking about VR

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 00:25
So, my Rift and touch arrived the other day and am rather keen to have a go at some VR dev in AGK.
How is the VR DLC working out? Is it working well?

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats!

SteamVR sometimes bugs up. Also, it's a bother to get in and out of VR to test the game. Other than that, the VR DLC is working flawlessly. It's likely the best software I have bought for VR. (Other faves: Eleven: Table Tennis VR / Zaccaria Pinball / Raptor Valley / TheBlu / Super Hot VR / Henry the Hamster Handler)
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 08:29
Once you experience VR you can't un-see it!

I think you'll have a lot of fun - Super Hot is a great game to try out, it might inspire you to make something similar with AppGameKit VR!

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 13:56
Hi nzo,

One of the main reasons that I wrote the AGKVR plugin is that I am wanting to create my own VR experiences. I really tried to approach things in a way that offered flexibility while also keeping things simple to use. The feedback so far has been really good, and I'm always open to making changes/additions that will improve the plugin.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2017 00:57
Yea, well I can barely get near the computer these days with everyone queuing up to get on Robo Recall or various other games

As in my VR post about hand models, I am going to try and make some decent animated hands which match the touch capabilities. Ron, did you make the example hands that come with the AGKVR plugin?
If so, would you consider making some more / better hands which have all the possible touch movement animations?
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2017 03:52
Quote: "Yea, well I can barely get near the computer these days with everyone queuing up to get on Robo Recall or various other games "

Ha! Yeah. It is definitely hard to get development time when everyone is wanting to experience VR!

Quote: "Ron, did you make the example hands that come with the AGKVR plugin?
If so, would you consider making some more / better hands which have all the possible touch movement animations?"

Initially the hands came from a model that was made for me for a completely different project. I'm not sure how much the resemble the original ones now. I know that I added a new bone structure along with re-skinning them. I have a Vive, so there wasn't much point in me adding the thumb and point gestures at the time I created the animation. I can probably add those gestures to those animations fairly easily. I'm really busy at the moment, but I'll try to get something done on that as soon as I can.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2017 20:57
Well, I think I'll try and make some as I need to improve my skills in bone animation.
There may be more important things to do first
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
I made a hand in Blender! A truly horrifying first attempt, but I'm quite new to the program. It is quite a bother to get the hand to align correctly, and I have no clue how to preserve the scale from Blender. I found that the stuff got a bit less oversized when I tell Blender to use centimeters.

Besides the low resolution, another trouble with the hands is the unprecise collision detection. This isn't a big deal with other game elements, but when your hands don't have precise contact with the world elements, it just feels off.

So far, I have ditched the hands! Instead, I let the player hold tools (camera/gun/sword) in his (invisible) hands. Mentally, the tools you are holding functions as an extension of your body image, so I don't think there's much loss of immersion.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2017 13:21
It depends on the experience I guess.
Picking something up requires something to pick it up with (unless you just start with the thing in your hand)
I've had a first play with putting something together and found a bug straight away!

I was building up a minimal framework for my own future use when I noted a number of things:

When you render to the HMD, at least on the Oculus, it should render at 90fps and setting Syncrate to 0 seems to ensure that this is the case.
The rendering to the monitor also appears to be capped to 90fps, even with Syncrate 0, therefore are we locked in to 90fps on both devices?
If I set up a basic scene but don't render anything, I get a windows crash. Just adding a plane or a box or something and it doesn't crash - weird!?

So far so good though. Pity the steam VR is so temperamental - crashing, freezing the whole computer sometimes even. Is there any of the steam stuff I can switch off to reduce this instability?

Right now, I'm working on getting some fully interactive touch controllers working in the rift (putting off working on the hands for now!)
I think this is something we have to get right before doing anything much else or it will be a much reduced experience. Once they are done we can use them in everything else going forward and ensure that what we make looks professional and polished.

Not sure how many people are active with the AGKVR and whether we should have a separate area for discussing it and sharing our work / resources?
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Picking things up with your hands is a fundamental feature, of course! I tried starting out super simple by creating some small boxes which the player could pick up and put on top of each other, but I stumbled at picking them up properly. Sometimes I feel like the 3D aspect of AGK2 could use some kind of beginners guide. Some more details on what is required of a .fbx file. Or something about that size issue when exporting from Blender.

Here are three VR ideas which I think are good, but which are a bit beyond my current level:

1) A VR tool which let you position objects from inside VR. Updates the objects new position into size_position_and_rotation.agc
Could feature adjustment of pointlights too.

2) A 3D sound system that adjusts the sounds volume and stereo according to the sound's position in relation to the HMD.

3) A shader(?) which loads a different image for each eye. (can be used to display vintage stereoviews or create cheap 3D effects such as 3D particles or 3D cube maps)
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2017 20:16
Quote: "When you render to the HMD, at least on the Oculus, it should render at 90fps and setting Syncrate to 0 seems to ensure that this is the case.
The rendering to the monitor also appears to be capped to 90fps, even with Syncrate 0, therefore are we locked in to 90fps on both devices?"

Yeah. Both will cap off at 90fps. There is actually nothing I can do about that, it is just how it works. I think it would need a separate thread in order to render to the pc monitor at a faster rate.

Quote: "If I set up a basic scene but don't render anything, I get a windows crash. Just adding a plane or a box or something and it doesn't crash - weird!?"

Strange. Can you send me an example of this? I haven't run into that before.

Quote: "So far so good though. Pity the steam VR is so temperamental - crashing, freezing the whole computer sometimes even. Is there any of the steam stuff I can switch off to reduce this instability?"

There isn't anything in Steam that can be shut-off to increase stability. I really haven't had any instability problems. The only thing that I get is an occasional occurrence of SteamVR not starting the compositor which I think is usually caused when you stop a running application and try to restart it again before it has had a chance to reset itself. It is possible that there is some missing error catching in different places that if you send something unexpected you would get a crash. I haven't really run into anything like that though, so if you find things that cause a hard crash, send it my way and I'll do what I can to fix the problem.

Quote: "2) A 3D sound system that adjusts the sounds volume and stereo according to the sound's position in relation to the HMD."

I believe there are plans to add a 3D sound system to AppGameKit, but I'm not sure if that would be through a DLC or part of the core product.

When making bone animated models for AppGameKit, it is important to not use scale or mirroring as part of the base mesh or the animation. In 3DS Max, I usually create a mesh, then reset the X-Form which removes any remnants of scale or mirroring. After that, I add the biped or bone system and do the skin weighting. Once that is done, I add the animation and then finally export. If at any time during the process you use any sort of mirroring or scaling of the mesh or bones, it can really screw things up in the export.
a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2017 01:52
Quote: "The only thing that I get is an occasional occurrence of SteamVR not starting the compositor which I think is usually caused when you stop a running application and try to restart it again before it has had a chance to reset itself."

Yes, this makes sense and is probably what's happening.

Quote: "Quote: "If I set up a basic scene but don't render anything, I get a windows crash. Just adding a plane or a box or something and it doesn't crash - weird!?"
"

Here's an example:
If I uncomment the skybox or load an object, it's fine.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2017 02:26
Interesting. I'm going to guess that since there are no 3D aspects to the game at all, AppGameKit does not actually initialize the camera in the same way as it does once you use any of the 3D object commands. Without the 3D camera initialized, AGKVR then crashes when trying to work with it. I can do some debugging to prove that is the problem, but I don't think there will be a way to fix it inside of AGKVR. The good news is that there should never be a case where you want to use AGKVR without 3D objects!
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 17:41 Edited at: 21st Aug 2017 17:43
In my last post, I wished for a way to display a different image for each eye. I have just discovered a crude hack that does exactly that!

In late 1800, stereoscopes were all the rage. It was a simple viewer which displayed a different image for each eye, by the use of a rather simple optics. I have found that in VR I can just do the same: just put a pair of stereoview photos right in front of the viewer's eyes, and the photo is shown in 3-D! Download the attachment and watch a glorious 3-D macro photo of a forest floor in Sweden, taken by myself!

And that's not all - by pressing the B button on your right Touch controller, you can unlock the photos from your eyes. Take a step back - literally - and discover the simple mechanics at play. If you see three images, look over your shoulder and then back again to reset your eyes. Press B again to get back in 3-D view!

But of course, this is merely a gimmick, too crudely constructed to be implemented in sky boxes or particles. And since it is constructed the same way as the vintage stereoscope, it has the same limitations: No matter how much you turn your head, the scene is stuck in front of your eyes. Also, there's a slight jittering, likely because of the millimeter precision required - the photos are positioned 3 centimeters from the eyes!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 21:49
It's not a problem as you say if you don't try and render nothing
Not too impressed with the SteamVR problems however. I'm lucky if I can run my code in the IDE 3 times before I have to either kill the steam VR compositor and start again or fully quit or even worse, hard reboot when I get a total freeze out.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2017 21:50
I also have the oculus client software installed which seems to insist on running all the time when you put the headset on. Not sure if this isn't helping the situation?
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 02:22
Quote: " I'm lucky if I can run my code in the IDE 3 times before I have to either kill the steam VR compositor and start again or fully quit or even worse, hard reboot when I get a total freeze out."

I also have the Oculus software installed because I have an Oculus DK2 that I used before I got the Vive. I have not had crashing problems like that at all. I'm not sure what is going on. I could probably add a command to better dispose of things when you close out of the program, but you would have to call that command by exiting a different way than just closing the window.
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe AGK2 could do a check and see if SteamVR was ready? Or it could automatically kill SteamVR after running the game?

I found a few features missing regarding the Touch controllers. Each Touch controller has not one, but four different thumbs-up detectors: The Y/B and X/A buttons, the thumbstick and the round spot next to the buttons.

Also, the grip button can be pressed gradually, so I would have expected a float here.

Really minor stuff, but nz0 talked about "getting some fully interactive touch controllers working in the rift" so I thought I might mention it.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2017 13:18
I do plan to revisit the controller commands, especially once the knuckle controllers become available for the Vive. Currently, the commands are intended to be consistent for both the Vive and Rift so you can easily support both without writing specific code for each. When I do start to work on that part of it again, would either of you be interested in helping to test? It's tough for me to test things for the Oculus controllers since I don't have them.
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again! Yeah, of course we're ready to test the Oculus thing!

I previously wrote about a cheap but working hack to display stereo .png in VR:

Myself wrote: "In my last post, I wished for a way to display a different image for each eye. I have just discovered a crude hack that does exactly that!

In late 1800, stereoscopes were all the rage. It was a simple viewer which displayed a different image for each eye, by the use of a rather simple optics. I have found that in VR I can just do the same: just put a pair of stereoview photos right in front of the viewer's eyes, and the photo is shown in 3-D! Download the attachment and watch a glorious 3-D macro photo of a forest floor in Sweden, taken by myself!

And that's not all - by pressing the B button on your right Touch controller, you can unlock the photos from your eyes. Take a step back - literally - and discover the simple mechanics at play. If you see three images, look over your shoulder and then back again to reset your eyes. Press B again to get back in 3-D view!

But of course, this is merely a gimmick, too crudely constructed to be implemented in sky boxes or particles. And since it is constructed the same way as the vintage stereoscope, it has the same limitations: No matter how much you turn your head, the scene is stuck in front of your eyes. Also, there's a slight jittering, likely because of the millimeter precision required - the photos are positioned 3 centimeters from the eyes!"

I just found out what caused the jittering - I had made the mistake of placing the images in front of the players' eyes BEFORE I ran AGKVR.UpdatePlayer(). So, when dealing with elements that a statically placed in front of the players head position (typically HUD elements), always remember this sequence:

AGKVR.UpdatePlayer()
placeHudElements()

Attached is an updated version, with no jittering whatsoever.

But I think I figured out a way in which stereoviews could be added to the engine relatively simple. I would just need to be able to update the left and the right eye separately! Then I could do stuff like this:

Attachments

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2017 14:23
Quote: "I would just need to be able to update the left and the right eye separately! Then I could do stuff like this:"

My initial tests with AGKVR had separate update functions for each eye, but I combined them for the sake of simplicity. I can easily add some commands to separate the update functions while also keeping the simpler overall update command. I'll add this to the list for the next update!

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 01:25 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 01:27
Update on the Steam VR / Oculus client problems (crash / freeze)
I found and installed the (unofficial) but excellent Oculus tray tool. This allows quick and easy dis/enable oculus services, embed Steam VR in oculus menu, inatek/fresco fixes (I have this controller) and many more things. I think it's an esential tool if you run oculus + steam VR at the same time.

The result? Not a single crash when exiting the AGKVR program!

Also, I've got some nice functioning touch controlller objects running under full control, complete with laser pointers (a la robo recall style)
They are from the steam VR media files (not sure what the reuse deal is with them yet) but i do have some definitely free to use models I will look at using as well.

My forays into animating hands leave a bit to be desired yet, but I'll carry on with that unless someone else provides something to work with!

Yes, I'll be happy to test. Hope there's some more peeps on here who are trying this out?
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 10:28 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 10:29
Thanks Ron, separate update functions for each eye would be just perfect! Maybe it should just update the images, and then another function sends those image to the HMD? I was thinking that if there's too much code between the update of the left and right eye, then there might be a delay or something.

I loved that I could begin coding for VR a few minutes after having bought AppGameKit! But strangely, the simplicity also made me feel strangely disappointed. I read through the AGKVR manual, understood it all, and ... hey, was that it? It's weird, but I had expected more of a challenge from the learning process.

Just found out that someone had already done one of my VR ideas about a year ago:
https://patchydollgames.itch.io/cafe

Oculus Tray Tool sounds pretty neat! I'll give it a spin later. I'm currently trying to model a hand in Blender, and Monday is my personal deadline.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thursday, I made a challenge for myself: sculpt a hand in Blender before Monday! I ended up making a cut-off hand using some fake gore effects. So be aware that it is rather bloody. What's worse, the shape is way off, and the texture is kinda screwed and don't align right. And the polycount is a bit extreme.

So there's lots of room for improvements. But considering that I'm a newbie to Blender, I'm pretty darn pleased with myself!

(The hand is fixed to the right Touch controller)

Attachments

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still working on that hand in Blender. Today, I did a low poly version on the hand and baked a normal map based on the high-resolution sculpture.

I'm still messing around, and it will take a long while before I have anything useable. Still, I feel that I have come a long way.

Attachments

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 02:46
Just keeping this thread alive until we get our own section

I've been working steadily for a few weeks on my extended library functions for AGKVR, so it can be easily incorporated into game design.
I've now got a very nice "construct" where I have the following features working:

* Facefront footplate
* Turn helper (copied concept from Robo Recall) where you are shepherded towards the sensors
* all working Oculus hand controllers (including moving thumbsticks and triggers). They are 100% acurate in VR space, even when you hold them right up to your face!
* in world virtual screen (useful for debugging info, as you can't see print or any 2D stuff in VR)
* Laser pointers / selector for controllers
* flat button 3D GUI working with the above laser pointers
* tracking vectors for the HMD so you can put something in front of your face or a relative view
* fully switchable between VR and (non-VR) mouse look modes

All working nicely in a lit world using accurate physical dimensions (only 1-1 scaling at the moment)

I'm making the functions portable so I can use them in any VR project.

How's everyone else getting on with AGKVR?
So far, no major issues for me. The latest Oculus driver update seems to have stabilized SteamVR a lot. I used to get freeze / crash about every 3 runs with AGKVR but now it's like 1 in 100 and I suspect that's just the stop/start which happens with any VR app for me.

A couple of questions for Ron:

Is the grip trigger only binary? No analog value like the other buttons? I just noticed BasicFanatic mentioned that as well.. not sure if it's available as an analog value in Steam API or it's a Vive compatibility thing.
Can you expose some of the steam API options for e.g.
Controlling the guardian settings?

I'm shortly going to plug my system into my first AGKVR game, so fingers crossed!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds really good! Me, I'm still working at ASTROTIT VR. So far its just a prototype, so it's still decent enough for me to post it here. There's a main menu where you can select "Play" with a right hand laser. The game is navigated by sliding your body left and right. This uses the HMD's X position to calculate how much to slide -- pretty confusing, since I need to keep track of both the X position in VR space and the X position in real life. If you hit the game fields edge, the real-world number are thrown off.

But right now I'm trying to take a break, since I'm arranging a VR event in a small cinema, and also needs to finish a poster design.

Attachments

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 21:15
Quote: "Is the grip trigger only binary? No analog value like the other buttons? I just noticed BasicFanatic mentioned that as well.. not sure if it's available as an analog value in Steam API or it's a Vive compatibility thing."

The grip is only binary on the Vive and I was trying to keep the controller commands compatible with both. OpenVR itself should support it as being analog though, so maybe the best thing for me to do is expose some of those commands at a little lower level to add some further flexibility,

Quote: "Can you expose some of the steam API options for e.g.
Controlling the guardian settings?"

Yes. I can definitely do that. I'm in the middle of another official addon for AppGameKit, plus I have 2 other addons that I'm probably 80% done with on each, so I have lots going on at the moment. I plan to do a big update to AGKVR at some point in the middle of everything else I'm working on.

a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 23:22
Excellent news Ron.
I'm still working on my VR sandbox system which will be my "mini-library" for future games.
Will let you know if I come across any other features which would be useful to expose.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2017 00:04
Here's another question and a feature request

What does SetTrackingSpace() actually do?
I get it's sitting or standing tracking space, but what does that mean exactly?

Another missing thing is we will need to access the steamVR config, like the player's input height.

Can I trust getting the difference between HMDYPos() and PlayerYPos() to give me the player's height?
Come to think of it, this may make more sense, as I have spoken to people who configure their height by putting the HMD on the floor and entering 0m for their height
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2017 13:48
Quote: "What does SetTrackingSpace() actually do?
I get it's sitting or standing tracking space, but what does that mean exactly?"

Honestly, I've not noticed a difference between the two. It is one of the setup commands within OpenVR, but room scale tracking still appears to work even when you select a sitting experience.
Quote: "
Another missing thing is we will need to access the steamVR config, like the player's input height.

Can I trust getting the difference between HMDYPos() and PlayerYPos() to give me the player's height?
Come to think of it, this may make more sense, as I have spoken to people who configure their height by putting the HMD on the floor and entering 0m for their height"

There is no need for a player height configuration. I always set my HMD on the floor and enter 0m for the height. The tracking works by getting the HMD (and controllers) position and orientation relative to the tracking sensors. When you enter the height in the room setup, you are just telling the tracking system where the HMD is at the moment of configuration. It uses the HMD's position and height setting to calculate the absolute position of your sensors which can then be used to locate the tracking position anywhere within the sensor range. The easiest thing to do is set the HMD on the floor and tell it that is where 0m is located.
a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2017 21:48
It's confusing sometimes with both the Oculus and Steam overlapping in certain configs.
For instance, I've switched off the steam chaperone and just use the Oculus guardian, which helps.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 02:42
Another VR issue:
If you draw quads over the rendered 3D, this doesn't get rendered in the VR.
The following works fine on the monitor, but the drawn object doesn't get picked up on the VR render.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 02:51
@BasicFanatic:

Just got a look at your game. Quite freaky!
The leaning thing isn't as bad as I feared.

The angle of the controller seems way out for me on the select screen? Like 45 degrees off on the Y axis?

Some great progress on mine the last few days. Got some issues (^^) but hope they will be sorted soon.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 08:53
Quote: "
If you draw quads over the rendered 3D, this doesn't get rendered in the VR.
Render3d()
if VR_SunUp then DrawObject(VR_LensflareQuadID)"

Maybe you need to render3d after drawing the quad?
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
@nz0:

Yeah, the laser pointer thing was pointing in the wrong direction. I think the reason was that the angle is fixed to the handle of the Touch controller. This is practical for objects you are holding, like a sword, but if you're pointing, it's roughly 45 degrees off. I fixed it by rotating 45 degrees on the X axis:

@Ron Erickson:
Hey, one fundamental feature is missing: It is impossible to detect what HMD the player is using. This make the VR more platform-specific, since I can't finetune the experience to both platforms, and has to stick to one: I can't make specific help screen for the Vive, I can't use Vive in-game controllers, or if needed, adjust the controllers position in-game.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 13:28
Quote: "Hey, one fundamental feature is missing: It is impossible to detect what HMD the player is using. This make the VR more platform-specific, since I can't finetune the experience to both platforms, and has to stick to one: I can't make specific help screen for the Vive, I can't use Vive in-game controllers, or if needed, adjust the controllers position in-game. "

You are correct. I will add that to the list for the next update.
a.k.a WOLF!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 17:48
Quote: "Maybe you need to render3d after drawing the quad?"

If I do that it doesn't appear on the VR or the monitor.

I've tried it in all parts of the render sequence now and it's only a problem in the VR.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 18:06
@Ron:

From my experimenting, I think we will need to be able to break down the AGKVR.Render() function into it's component parts unless you can advise how I can draw a quad onto the VR display?
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 19:16
More guessing:

The render range on AGKVR probably doesn't account for quads which are (I suppose) at a range of 0.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2017 22:27
Problem solved.
I remade a vector driven lensflare using planes and it's working fine
In fact, it's actually better and faster than having to render sprites to a renderimage and superimpose it.

When I think about it more, rendering a quad or anything "close" to the camera is going to mess up in VR anyway, so this is definitely the best option, as I don't have to account for different FOVs and render target sizes.

4 hours of brain farting one night, then 20 minutes of awesomeness the next
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 01:54
This thread keeps getting buried, but we don't have a AGKVR section yet (can we?)

Anyway, here's a useful "event" manager you can use for the buttons and controls on the Oculus touch, as we don't have single press/release check for such things. You could use this for any input device actually.
Just call a function every frame that processes all your inputs (conditionally for VR or non-VR)
Test Pressed or Released to get a one-shot reading of the state of the control and ThisFrameState for a continuous reading. It works for both analog and digital controls!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 21:42 Edited at: 20th Oct 2017 21:43
Quote: "4 hours of brain farting one night, then 20 minutes of awesomeness the next "

lol
I can certainly relate to that.

It is amazing what even a nap can do when you get stumped in code.

Have you ever dreamed about your problem/solution after spending hours testing something?

I was trying to beat a World's Record, and after 4 or 5 days of playing a game for 12 to 18 hours each day, I started dreaming that I was still playing.

I have spent days trying to achieve something in a game failing time and time again, only to get it done on the first or second try after a day's break from it.

So, whether it is coding a game or playing a game, a good rest/break does the brain wonders.

Even if the VR doesn't get its own forum, we can bump this to avoid it getting locked.

Quote: "In late 1800, stereoscopes were all the rage. It was a simple viewer which displayed a different image for each eye, by the use of a rather simple optics. I have found that in VR I can just do the same: just put a pair of stereoview photos right in front of the viewer's eyes, and the photo is shown in 3-D! Download the attachment and watch a glorious 3-D macro photo of a forest floor in Sweden, taken by myself!"

I am looking forward to playing with the VR soon, and this idea is really interesting.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st Oct 2017 08:50
Thats the great wonders of the mind - we all have it.

I generally beat the rubbish out of my mind when trying to solve a programming problem- could take days to do something so trivial.

Works best to come away from it instead of beating ourselves up "why isnt it working!!!!!"

Have a break and then go back to it - then solve it in seconds !! - jesus, I missed that dreaded semi-colon!!!!

Lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:19:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:19:51