Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Graveyard] ShowCase : Your "almost finished" games but never released

Author
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2017 23:27 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 00:30
I'm sure that a lot of AppGameKit Developers here have a lot of "almost finished" games in their bags ...

So here could be a place to showcase your unfinished games

So i will start the thread with my case for two games that took me a long time... without never releasing them ... lol

The question is WHY DON'T WE RELEASE THEM ? (except lack of time ! we're always on TGC Forums so... we have time :p)

I help you with few classic reasons :

1 - lack of time hummmf you're reading this thread right now no ? :p
2 - i have a family ... the same as everyone
3 - my job takes a lot of time (see pt 1 & pt 2)
4 - Motivation ? the AppGameKit Community is here to help you maybe ?
5 - i have lost the source code of my game (ok ok...)

And you ? :p why don't you release some games ?

My dead games :

Speed Racer (a very big project for me ! Abandonned due to AGK2 incompatibilities which i never fixed) and only to test 3D AppGameKit Capabilities (no deception for sure ! ) :

"Unnamed" Project (A test of a self-made Tiled importer with Depth Ordering 2.5D) :

And maybe WarBooM ? (I hope to release it though !) - Only here to POC my AppGameKit Multiplayer Linux Server (but finally, it seems to be very fun so... i want to release it)

It's now your turn !
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 00:24
Here's one I was working on a few weeks ago, just using some graphics from a free pack or bundle I got somewhere, it was going to be a turn based mobile tappy game hence the name "TappyWarz", I got as far as the menu, player unit deployment and AI deployment and pathfinding, I'd say its 2/3's done just need to code the battle system, if I ever get back to it

I got lots of other unfinished projects on my desktop but the CPU is fried, mainly plugin code on my laptop
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 00:55 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 00:55
Here's some unfinished game from me.
Some are virtually complete, some not so.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 01:50
PartTime & nz0 : Great unfinished games ! AppGameKit Website should have a "Unreleased Games ShowCase" section (the aim is to show what appgamekit can do so...
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 09:06 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 09:08
at least i made a list where i marked the projects that are worth to continue.
often the work was disturbed by family dates or daily run with higher priority.
plenty of times frustrated because things did not work as expected.
also i am bad in level design.
its also exhausting for one people making game logic,graphics art 2d/3d,music,sound,level design,testing,publishing,caring users,..., all together
and if you have something in store you are faced with abusive remarks.
here 2 of my frozen games in agk:
AGK (Steam) V2017.08.16 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.7.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
@nz0 the Super Pipeline is really cool! You should definitively finish it! I'm working on something with pipes too and I'm wondering how you did some effects.

Cheers!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2017 19:31
Super Pipeline was made in AppGameKit 1 as well
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 09:18
I love the Tron style battlezone Royale! I want to play it!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 18:09
The battlezone royale game may yet get a VR treatment
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 21:10 Edited at: 29th Aug 2017 21:12
Cryptoglyphs

I started writing it with a focus on monetisation and IAP but realised late into development that nobody would pay for any of the things I was going to make available. I started again from scratch without any form of monetisation but with a focus on high scores and online challenges but again, late into development I realised that the high score system was pointless because you would have to start each game from a very easy level each time. In order for it to make sense I would have to rewrite the scoring mechanics but having done a complete rewrite already I lost interest.

Space Invaders

Galaxians

Both Space Invaders and Galaxians suffered the same fate. The core game is complete for both of them but I got bored of writing the menus so they remain incomplete.
That however, inspired me to write a 'visual editor' to make the creation of menus quicker and easier. And so ....

Unamed Editor

This will now probably be relegated to the code graveyard because TGC have released their own Visual Editor. I had two main motivations for writing this. 1) for my own use and 2) The possibility of retail. Number 2 motivation has now been removed

Attachments

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 21:31
@Scraggle
its on my wishlist making a limilar game like Galaxians.
in past i had a lot of fun also with the game gyruss as C64.
the editor looks good.
AGK (Steam) V2017.08.16 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.7.2) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 21:43 Edited at: 29th Aug 2017 21:43
Scraggle, continue your own editor ...(Your editor seems to be much more mature (and more beautiful) than the TGC's one actually, and may have its own (different) approach ). You should continue this good work !!!!
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 21:51
I started a 2D editor for AppGameKit about a year or so ago it was heading in the direction of a Tiled clone and the lack of the plugin system made communication hard so I used a PB canvas gadget which came with a few restrictions, its much easier now to integrate these things, I got the basic functionality up like tileset importing and layered drawing and then decided to shelf the idea, I may rewrite this for personal use if I dont like where the VD ends up.

Attachments

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 10:14
Hi

Great projects

@PartTimeCoder : have you made your 2D editor with purebasic only ?
if yes, how do you do the propertybox ?
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 17:21
@Scraggle I also don't think you should give up on the editor just because TGC have released a version. I don't really need an editor but yours from that one screenshot alone looks a lot more professional and you've probably already scripted far more features than the TGC one.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 18:33
@Blendman, yes the editor was coded entirely in PureBasic, the PropertyBox comes from the Nexus (EsGrid) suite but I do not think its available any more as the site has been down for some time, try PM'ing the author 'srod' I think he is still active and he is a nice guy, very helpful, I can not share the source as its under license but its well worth the very small price, the splitter I use is also from the Nexus suite, there is also some PropertyBox code posted in the forums made using a canvas gadget but none of them are as good as the Nexus version.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 09:26 Edited at: 13th Sep 2017 09:27
Finally, an unfinished games showcase! This is where I live!!!!

Ok, the first game i was working on was my VR Zelda clone. I gave up because raycasting didn't work with scaled objects so collision detection doesn't work. I thought I'd wait until it did work, but that was 2 1/2 years ago and I haven't been bothered to start it up again.

Website link here.

Next up is my Dark Basic Pro based 3D Bang! Bang! 2 project. A very old project, worked in stereoscopic 3d, full HD, dynamic weather effects, dynamic skybox. I stopped working on the game to work on the below UI editor, and just kinda gave up.

Website link here.

Here is my UI editor. Built to use my UI and scripting engine, designed in DBPro again, I don't really know why I gave up on this as it looks like it works perfectly.

Website link here.

I also have an android version of 3D Bang! Bang! 2 that I started, but I have no video of that, so I'll just attach the apk file for you to have a look at.

1 finger rotates the camera, 2 fingers moves the camera. Gets good FPS on my Samsung S8 and my laptop, around 30fps or so on my Note3. (I've done literally no optimisations!)
Download 3D Bang! Bang! 2 from my Google Drive.

I probably have loads more unfinished projects, but these are the best of the ones I have videos for.
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff

Attachments

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Your games were so Advanced and looked so good ! Why did you give up !? I stopped working on a couple of projects, but none of them were half as interesting as yours ! I feel better for abandoning mine. I would feel terrible if I were in your shoes. :p
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2017 10:53
Quote: "Why did you give up "

Apathy mostly. lol New xbox games? I hit a roadblock and almost immediately give up.
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 00:47 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 00:51
Here is one stopped working on a year ago.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 14:57
lol
I usually get side tracked on a new idea and postpone what I am currently working on to experiment with the new idea.
Then, before I finish that I get another idea, and so on, so I am lucky to ever finish anything.

@ scraggle
Your editor looks awesome!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 18:41
Quote: "I usually get side tracked on a new idea and postpone what I am currently working on to experiment with the new idea.
Then, before I finish that I get another idea, and so on, so I am lucky to ever finish anything. "

Pretty much sums it up for me to.

Unfortunately, my home DIY also suffers the same fate, unfinished jobs in every room!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 08:30
Quote: "@ scraggle
Your editor looks awesome!"

Thanks, but it looks a lot more impressive than it is!
It's actually two projects that I'm working on simultaneously. A GUI system and the Editor. The GUI system is getting most of the time spent on it and the Editor is used mostly for some way to ensure the GUI system is working.
Right now AGK's Editor does more than mine and having Beta tested it I would certainly recommend it - if an editor is what you are looking for. My Editor doesn't have the multi-resolution function of AGK's which is (I think) a fantastic feature, I also haven't even considered putting text in mine yet. There's still a few more things that I want to add/fix with the GUI system before I decide whether or not to continue with the editor. But with a new born child to deal with I don't get much time for either of them at the moment.
If I find some time this weekend, I might give the GUI system its own thread.
ghzero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2017 16:13
Quote: "I help you with few classic reasons :

And you ? :p why don't you release some games ?"

I'd like to add an number six:
6 - coming in an creative condition phase to be successful what you like to do!

yes, I think creating software has to do with creativity. without creativity I can not create something that is greatful.
coding is not clear logic at all, the spirit of creativity is required to get the spark into a flame. this is how I feel, aehm code.

best regards,
ghzero
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2017 16:23
Quote: "yes, I think creating software has to do with creativity. without creativity I can not create something that is greatful.
coding is not clear logic at all, the spirit of creativity is required to get the spark into a flame. this is how I feel, aehm code."

you're absolutely right
kevinguitars
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone!

I use DarkBasic Pro since it was released, and of course had a lot of unfinished projects during these years. But this year in january I started a new project from the beginning, but only worked on it some weeks. But as autumn is here and I spend my late afternoons inside I thought about trying to finish or maybe just further develop my "game"... which is really in beginning stage. I have a playlist on youtube where I try to upload from time to time a new video about it. The latest now (8th october 2017) is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MZnffwJUk&index=1&list=PLIU_7vGEMSeO8pfyz2SmzEKhzcpMyLRq3

I hope you like it. I know there is still a lot to make. If you view the older videos from the first you can read the infos in the description.
Thank you.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2017 22:52 Edited at: 9th Oct 2017 08:35
In AppGameKit 1 I started mucking about with a Magic the Gathering clone set in space. A couple of reasons why I gave up on it, the first being I didn't really have much of an idea on how it would all work, thinking that I could create a trading card game on my own was quite a silly thing. The second is that I didn't and still don't have any art skills. My budget would never have stretched to professional looking cards. I was also new to the language so it was pretty messy. I know if I ever attempted it again (I won't) I'd script it much better. I did have fun working on it though and really liked the menu I came up with at the time. It was meant to represent a felt lined card table

A video showing part of the game against the computer with very basic AI. I did have a version which started to build on the combat phase and remember drawing lines between cards to show what was attacking what but don't think I got the battles working.

The menu

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2017 22:33
Nifty interface. The scrolling menus is very intuitive
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2017 00:00
Quote: "Quote: "I help you with few classic reasons :

And you ? :p why don't you release some games ?"
"

I have a fairly unique(?) situation.
I don't make games for money or need to.
I don't have a schedule or set timeline for finishing anything
I don't mind if I don't finish something, although I would rather do so.

I treat this whole experience as a long term (or even never ending) project, whereby if something comes out the other end, then it's a bonus. There's no pressure.

I've had kids, they've grown up and left home. I don't watch TV. I have increasing amounts of spare time.

Having worked on some incredibly huge projects in my time (e.g. 10 million lines of code,45 man year projects etc.) I know it's sometimes a slog. A lot of people go through phases during developments; they prototype nice shiny things, but sometimes realise that the relative drudgery of making menus and stuff is boring - as is writing sensible, re-usable code that can be looked at 3 months later without feeling like poking your own eyes out.

They also don't know about certain design principles which help in developing reasonable sized pieces of work, e.g. state machines and struggle to reinvent the wheel and therefore get disillusioned.

My son actually pointed out to me about 15 years ago - "dad, you never actually finish any of these games".. I agreed. I used to like the early prototyping of effects and getting a feel of what something may turn into. The real skill and labour comes with the finishing; the final touches and the completion. Not everyone has those skills.

This is why solo game development is hard. The belbin scale describes the ideal skillset when assembling a team. If you are familiar with this, it includes ideas people and completer/finishers as usually mutually exclusive - these are rarely the same person.

A solo dev who gets a good idea, implements and finishes is a rare thing indeed .
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2017 09:25
^^^ Seconded.
You've just described my situation perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself.
I tend to move from one 'shiny thing' to another without ever completing anything - but that's OK.
And this:
Quote: "the relative drudgery of making menus and stuff is boring"

Is the very reason that I started writing my editor (see above) but in order to write that I first had to write a GUI system which is coming along very nicely indeed and will probably be one of those rare projects that I actually complete. The editor is another story but I'd like to think I'll finish that too.
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2017 09:31 Edited at: 11th Oct 2017 09:31
Then you might have a GUI system so you can now build editors, now you can't be bothered designing your GUI layouts in code all the time. So you start building a GUI form editor.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2017 09:34
That thought has occurred to and yes, you're probably right. It's just another endless list of shiny things.
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, NZO that sounds great, even if getting old isn't all that great.

I am still not quite there to have all the time and all. But I am with what you describe about "professional" SW development. After you implement the same things enough times it gets hard to find the interest to finish them. Or to pick up a new language, or play along with the latest fads. excite about the new framework, ... Because it is all the same underneath. Then you get those young fellows with a beard (or whatever is hip at the time) drooling over how language XXX is better and YYY should not exist. Blaablaa.

And GUI development. "Please move that control one pixel to the left". "Let's try that in pink". Shoot me already.

I am trying to finish my third game this year then I am not going to be doing another for a long time. When you think your game is 80% done it usually has about 80% left with all the little things to finish, fiddle, test, tune. It's not really fun any more after the first 20%.

Different people, different roles. Totally with that too. Just wish to see a good team like that someday, but not expecting much..

jhanson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 13:25 Edited at: 7th Nov 2017 13:27
I recently scrapped a hiking-themed puzzle game I had been working on. I stuck it out on itch.io in its incomplete but playable form so that you may all revel in my failure. It's playable in the browser so you don't have to waste any energy downloading it.

https://jhanson.itch.io/hikerscramble

I just didn't like how it was turning out, so I'd rather work on another project right now. I feel that the two games I completed in the past few months were better than this one would have turned out to be.

Attachments

pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 16:35
Interesting... hiker scramble looks a LOT like a marble run type game I worked on, but never released. Amazing how some minds work alike.

Phil
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 18:12
For me, most projects start out as just trying to accomplish one specific task. But that task in its own either isn't very impressive or doesn't demonstrate the full potential. Sliding collision demo? I'll make an FPS! Fast forward in time, I get the collision part done then never polish off the game. I accomplish the bit that I wanted to learn then quickly lose interest.

I haven't programmed hardly anything this year due to balancing work, military (i'm free now!), and buying a house. And now that I have said house, I'm renovating it before I move in. Tight deadline and no help is eating all my free time. The gf has not been happy.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
jhanson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 18:19
Nice. Yeah, I think some ideas just kind of resurface every so often. When I started on this one, I was thinking about this weird little taxi game I played back in the Windows 3.1 days. I don't think it was exactly like this. It might have been more like a sliding puzzle, or like Pipe Dream where you place the pieces, but it was similar.

The idea with this one was to have more than just the bears as special squares. Like you could have moose when you get up near NH/ME, "trail magic" where you find a cache of food or whatever and get a bonus, etc. And I wanted to give bonus points for making your trail go near the bear but not running into it (since seeing bears when hiking is cool, walking into them is not).

I'm an avid hiker so I've always wanted to use that as a theme in a game. This one isn't it though. Haha.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 22:21
My game has a marble moving and you have to rotate the pieces ahead of it to give it a clear path to pick up items, score points, etc...

Phil

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:49:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:49:06