Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / How big is the world, in meters?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm planning on making a starfield, like on that classic screensaver (yes, I'm old) but for ultimate realism, I want the universe to be plenty big. But just how big is the 3D world in AGK2?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 17:30
I assume its pretty much endless, I ran the below code, went and made a cup of tea and it was still travailing when I got back

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing! The universe really is quite big. Is there some drawback to creating stuff on extreme scale? The engine both have to deal with scales in kilometers and millimeters. Don't it get confused?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 18:25
well no, if you use SetCameraRange and SetObjectScreenCulling then the engine only has to deal with a finite area, whats infront of the camera to the desired distance, if the engine if calculating distance in meters and you move the camera 100 kilometers the engine is still working in meters just 100km from your start point, thats the way I see anyway

maybe there is some recommended limit but I cant see why there would be

Edit, so ok there does seem to be a limit of around just under 100 million units, that should be plenty enough! lol

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 21:38
There is the limit from variable precision, don't know what datatype paul is using to store object positions in AGK.
And there is a recommended world size if you use 3D physics: Create3DPhysicsWorld
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2017 03:32
If i make an object in Lightwave say, 1x1x1m then it seems to me like 1x1x1SI in AppGameKit scale.
So, I assume AppGameKit uses SI=M for 3D, but I can only relate it to Lightwave - it is probably different in other sources and scaling is needed.
If you make objects in AppGameKit, then they are just SI.
3D Physics has it's own scale I think. I questioned this somewhere here on the forums (e.g. using a unit of 6 (feet?) when everything else is metric)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:58:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:58:51